Harbor freight finally offers this product

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought two of these over the years from Summit and once you use one you fall in love with them. Fantastic for cleaning and prepping a block and it stops in any position when you are assembling an engine.

5F64F5F3-4C3B-46B6-BA0A-3C6498D73A0E.png

I have one, a bit different, was sold at some point through NAPA. I bought it used off C/L

Geared heads are great but (unless this one is designed different) the heads do not come off for easy installation onto the block. You must use a cherry picker to bolt the block to the head. With my old non geared head stand, I was able to bolt the head to the block in the back of my pick up and slide it into the stand without using a engine hoist. They work great otherwise.

Geared heads are great but (unless this one is designed different) the heads do not come off for easy installation onto the block. You must use a cherry picker to bolt the block to the head. With my old non geared head stand, I was able to bolt the head to the block in the back of my pick up and slide it into the stand without using a engine hoist. They work great otherwise.

Ya that’s not a biggie to me as I use my fold up cherry picker. I always had 3-5 stands up at anytime so after I bought one I had to have another. Price went up slightly between the two then shot up. Thinking back I think I may have bought my second one possibly from Jegs on a sale before they jumped up again. I almost bought their plasma cutter at that time too before they jumped up in price. Thinking I will never have one of those and honestly I didn’t use our in the steel mill very often either.

Next time they have a 20% coupon I will have one in the garage...

JW

Trust me you will love it. I would just pull up a stool and chase threads, clearance grind, and wash and dry a block. I turned one of my old stands into one for doing transmission and 9 inch rearend builds. Summit sells that attachment.

My worry with anything HF is that the casters will deteriorate just sitting there

I bought two of these over the years from Summit and once you use one you fall in love with them. Fantastic for cleaning and prepping a block and it stops in any position when you are assembling an engine.

View attachment 1716057246

Thank you sir.

I was looking at adding a bearing of some kind to the regular ones that I have. Two bad shoulders don't work very well trying to rotate by hand.

This deal is even better.

I have a Snap-On brand engine stand, non-gearhead. It does have multiple holes for different positions, very nice stand. I have learn over the years to center the engine weight on the axis, case in point, take a look at post #10. The engine weight is WAY higher then axis, even if you took away the manifold and heads, here you would need a gearhead type stand. Me I would have located the engine crank about 6" down below the stands axis, this would make it spin easy.

I haven't seen a 20% coupon in years! (Maybe on their website? I don't go there much.....)

I’m a club member and I occasionally still get 20-25% off coupons BUT many of those are limited on what you can use them on and one product only.

My worry with anything HF is that the casters will deteriorate just sitting there

Happened with my brother's cherry picker. Lifted the engine out of the engine bay and when he wheeled the cherry picker backwards, one of the casters broke and the cherry picker tipped over with the engine hanging from it. Cracked the block and his driveway.

Trust me you will love it. I would just pull up a stool and chase threads, clearance grind, and wash and dry a block. I turned one of my old stands into one for doing transmission and 9 inch rearend builds. Summit sells that attachment.
You think it could handle a all cast iron
I haven't seen a 20% coupon in years! (Maybe on their website? I don't go there much.....)
Watch all the holidays.....

JW

That’s my next HF purchase. Are you happy with yours?

Yes I am. Not a biggie but the motor guard was pretty smashed but i somewhat fixed it with a ball peen hammer. I contacted the company but never got a replacement but honestly I don’t let stuff like this bother me. I see guys worried about little scratches everyday on their facebook groups but I have bigger things to worry about.

-
Back