Harmonic balancer comes off

-
Would that mess up the timing? and the spikey bolts and washers are for the timing piece that attaches to the balancer I believe. Im not certain, since my dad took it off

Okay this is got to stop PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call and make things quite clear to you. I honestly don't think anybody is wrong and it just all these opinions and/or experience needs to be clarified to you that's all.
Would that mess up the timing? and the spikey bolts and washers are for the timing piece that attaches to the balancer I believe. Im not certain, since my dad took it off

There's a thread on how to post up pics. Its quite simple to do. Please take 1 minute and read it and get some pics up so we all can see what's going on. Your in panic mode right now. take a deep breath and get some pics up.

I think the dent you are referring to is the counterbalance system.
The 5 little bolts may or may not be correct. The 6th one with the screwdriver slot should not be there, nor should the spiky washers.There should be 6 hexhead bolts with spring washers or Belvilles. The factory bolts had special captive washers. It's not real critical, until the pully comes off at 6000 rpm.
The 1/20 side wiggle, if I understand it correctly, says you have a junk part there, or maybe two.The damper should absolutely not slide onto the crank and then wiggle. Time to measure both.
Here's the thing; this interface is pretty important to the life of the engine, and so it makes me wonder where else corners were cut with this engine. I'm not trying to scare you, but this stuff IS scary.

The last part of this is doubly important. You need to be looking very close at stuff and then measure everything.

Press fit is the amount of negative clearance between parts, in this case the diameter of the crank snout and the diameter of the hole in the balancer. Just for discussion, let's say the crankshaft measures 1.5000 exactly. Then to be correct the hole in the balancer must measure 1.4985-1.4990 giving you the correct press fit. Any more clearance and it will just slip on, any less and you have to heat it to get it on and you can split the hole at the key way.

FWIW the press fit is what holds the balancer on, and keeps it from turning on the crank. The woodruff key is only there to locate the balancer during assembly, which is why you MUST ALWAYS verify TDC and degree your camshaft every single time you put an engine together.

Dude, call me I gave you my number. I can come over tonight.

Also, when we dry fit it and it's pushed on all the way, it wiggles left a bit . (Wiggles as in turns maybe 1/20th of an inch, moving in a way a steering wheel does). Is that a problem?

You actually were able to slide the balancer all the way on? No this is not right, the balancer is a interference fit. I would start with another balancer, if it slides on, you have crank issues.

-
Back