Harold's F'ing me over - big time.

-
lol... i dont think i am the one that needs to lighten up.... but have fun in your journey!

I just need some headers so my choked 273 can breath. Like a lot of guys that don't have 800$ to spend.

I did finally get my Spit Fires but I had to find them on eBay to do it. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth but the deed is done. Ordered the Summit 2 1/2" exhaust system and am ready to rock.
Still......Harold hacked me off!
Bob

Glad to hear you finally got them!! by whatever means....too bad the market is so soft for our early A's. I guess I figured it this way. I spent 3k on finish bodywork and paint, I spent over 2k rebuilding the 340 ( using decent stuff) I spent 2300 on the 727 trans beefing it up nicely, another 1800 on the 8.75 rear end and 300 restoring and beefing up the original radiator....and about 2200 on the interior and guages. having the headers custom made with a manual dump system and the 3.5 in exhaust all the way out the back for 1200 actually seems kinda reasonable. I saw this guys work on another early A and it is skin tight. he uses 3/8 flanges and pretty thick "aluminized" pipe material. Thicker than most "commercial headers" I have seen. I am using a conventional Mopar starter and did not have to move brake lines or tranny lines or fuel lines. The exhaust is NOT visible from a side view of the car. And oil changes and starter changes do not require anything "special" to make them happen. NONE of my pipes have dimples or hammer modifications of anykind. I guess what I am getting to is...if you spend all kinds of money building everything else to a certain level, it seems kind of senseless to suddenly develop a "tightness" at the exhaust ports? people seem to think nothing of spending 2 - 3 - 400 just for powder coating or a wee bit more for ceramic. WHY does it seem so weird or maybe not weird but "UN-frugal" to have the benefit decent long lasting well made exhaust? When I started this project I didnt really have the money for ANY OF IT. I saved, I sold stuff, I bought & sold stuff, I worked a few odd jobs, I found ways to pay for pretty much everything ( still have a few things to get like wheels & tires)...blue lines ( blue Streaks ) are around $600....the cragars are also around $600....and right now I don't have it....but I will find it & when the times comes I will have it. ALL of this hobby is prohibitive when you try to do it all at once. Simple answer I cannot do it all at once....for each segment I have had to build up the funds, this is just not a place or time for ME to get "cost conscious" ( too close to the finish)
I guess I would rather wait and buy a really good something or other than buy it now for cheap and want/have to replace it in 2 years. ( not to mention dealing with reputable fabricators vs being required to order COD just to get the guys attention)
my 2 cents

So how do I avoid this guy? Does he just go by the name of harold or does he try to make you think he is someone else since he already has a bad rep around here? I am pretty new here and dont want to get screwed over.

So how do I avoid this guy? Does he just go by the name of harold or does he try to make you think he is someone else since he already has a bad rep around here? I am pretty new here and dont want to get screwed over.

just don't order spitfires is the way avoid him.. :)

I guess what I am getting to is...if you spend all kinds of money building everything else to a certain level, it seems kind of senseless to suddenly develop a "tightness" at the exhaust ports? people seem to think nothing of spending 2 - 3 - 400 just for powder coating or a wee bit more for ceramic. WHY does it seem so weird or maybe not weird but "UN-frugal" to have the benefit decent long lasting well made exhaust? When I started this project I didnt really have the money for ANY OF IT. I saved, I sold stuff, I bought & sold stuff, I worked a few odd jobs, I found ways to pay for pretty much everything ( still have a few things to get like wheels & tires)...blue lines ( blue Streaks ) are around $600....the cragars are also around $600....and right now I don't have it....but I will find it & when the times comes I will have it. ALL of this hobby is prohibitive when you try to do it all at once. Simple answer I cannot do it all at once....for each segment I have had to build up the funds, this is just not a place or time for ME to get "cost conscious" ( too close to the finish)

i agree 100%. i see guys do it all the time. the biggest two things seem to be headers and a converter. for some reason they spend thousands on everything else on the car and then can't bring themself to spend on headers or a converter. i just can't understand it. a converter can make or break your combo, headers and be a real pain but there are options that make them cake to install and last (tti,dougs) but some can't get past the price, yes they are not cheap but man once on they are so much better then those $150 cheapo's. i do basically what you do. i'll gather stuff over the years that seem to be good deals, when i really need/want something for my car i sell that stuff hopefully for a profit , if i still don't have the money the car will sit until i save the difference.

66Cuda....I understand where you are coming from. I could have gotten Mad Dog Mark (Mad Dog Headers) to build a one-off set for upwards of $900.00 or could have gone the TTI/Dougs route for about the same money. Since the car is going to be a street cruiser and long haul driver I felt I did not need the long tube stuff and Harold was the only game in town for a shorter header. Too bad that he pretty much has that market sewed up and can spin you around by the short hairs at will. You never know when someone will build a shorty style header, market it effectively, ship it on time, price it reasonably, and give him a wake-up call he will never live down. Just saying.
Bob

cant touch: YOU pretty much have to find him ( good luck with that )not that you'd want to....he does not solicit, in fact he barely answers those who have already sent him $$$ much less those that havent LOL you have nothing to worry about

RGP - make no mistake I meant no DIS to you.... sometimes you have to go with what you feel at the time. NOW that you have them, use em up!

-
Back