Has anyone successfully used the USCartool A500 Crossmember?

-
Working like crazy today to try to get this finished up and ready for test drive.
Just stopped for a quick lunch, then back out to the garage.
Still need to do:
Install starter
Run wires from trans to console for o/d switch
Install cooler lines
Install dipstick tube
Start filling with ATF+4
Reinstall front section of exhaust
Maybe fire it up, still on the stands, and just run through the gears and make sure it shifts right.

Maybe tomorrow get it back on the ground and take it out for test drive.

Well, I made my crossmember this morning. I only used of the mounting bolts and based on what I am finding online, this should be enough.
I used a transmission mount from a 1970 Chevy passenger car:

8447922_1138125041624416256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=Cj8Dy3lLkB8AX8yFvvQ&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

First I used angle iron and fitted it together using the factory trans cross
member for a reference:

10193074_946367563745460224_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=bP-XqaFrtcwAX_INVzz&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Then I jacked up the transmission until I got a 3*-5* angle:

2323024_1093015025884332032_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=6m6-9WKzbRwAX_CzBg8&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

I then cut a piece of 14" angle iron to bolt to the trans mount and ran a piece of cardboard for a template:

9632603_1470601981880958976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=w_YLGpd8P0cAX_jWLkt&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Went to the vice and grinder/cutter to use the template to cut out a square tubing to put in it's place:

0065242_4907602229965357056_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=-7trQconqxsAX97HGPc&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Clamped it down and tacked it all together with my MIG:

5276167_2501779357127671808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=WNENRFynQrUAX-nkYl8&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

6324791_8510803852545490944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=IxT1rE9QjSQAX-oyxuD&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Did this for the other side as well, and tacked in place:

0546941_1596246895028600832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=r3frPi6QtUIAX9R1bB_&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

Finally, I pulled it all out, put it in the vice, trimmed out the extra pieces, and welded it all up. I am not, by any means a professional fabricator or welded, so not all of the welds look prefect, but they are all strong and solid:

0511623_5451238621694656512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=As3_UPV-QpkAX-TeVdi&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

We're close people, very close to going for a drive.
Got it started still on the stands, after some starter trouble yesterday and this morning. Think I have that fixed.
Had 4 quarts of atf+4 in the trans when I started it, then started filling her up while she idled. Have 8 quarts in it now and still not reading on the stick idling in neutral. Guess I need to run to the store and get a few more quarts.
Had to reset my timing cause I had the dist out, set that up, got it idling nice then jumped in and put it in reverse, neutral, drive, park. Seems to be turning the wheels the right way.
So now I have to get her on the ground and throw the drivers seat back in and take it for a drive.

The other thing I got done today was to finish all the wiring for my rocker switches. Just hope it doesn't create too much glare with the backlight shining off the console.
Check it out.

Well today's test drive didn't go exactly as planned but not a total failure.
Had some starter trouble a couple days ago and thought I had it fixed. Started the car in the garage several times.
This morning got it off the stands, seats back it and went out for a test drive.
So just drive around a bit in drive, reverse, neutral and park all working fine. Speedometer not working, either the cable popped off at the speedo, or I didn't get the speedo gear engaged properly at the tranny. No biggie. So I get on the highway to test the O/D,. Cruising along at 3000rpm,
flipped the switch, and it dropped into overdrive, the rpm dropped to around 2000.
Sweet ! So a minute later no turn it off, the rpm comes back up. So I try it again, flip it on, and I get nothing. Tried several times, and nothing. So I try the converter lockup, feel it lock, rpm drops maybe 200 rpm. So I turn it off, and then try it again, Nothing.
So O/D and lockup each worked once the stopped working.
So I'm thinking it's still low on fluid maybe. So I take it home, shut it off in front of the house and go to the garage to get more fluid and a funnel. Try to start the car so I can check it idling in neutral, and more starter problems, won't crank at all.
So the car has to sit outside for 24 hours, stopped on my way to work and picked up a new starter, and hopefully in the morning I can jack it up and get it swapped out. Then I can get back to messing with the trans.

Well today's test drive didn't go exactly as planned but not a total failure.
Had some starter trouble a couple days ago and thought I had it fixed. Started the car in the garage several times.
This morning got it off the stands, seats back it and went out for a test drive.
So just drive around a bit in drive, reverse, neutral and park all working fine. Speedometer not working, either the cable popped off at the speedo, or I didn't get the speedo gear engaged properly at the tranny. No biggie. So I get on the highway to test the O/D,. Cruising along at 3000rpm,
flipped the switch, and it dropped into overdrive, the rpm dropped to around 2000.
Sweet ! So a minute later no turn it off, the rpm comes back up. So I try it again, flip it on, and I get nothing. Tried several times, and nothing. So I try the converter lockup, feel it lock, rpm drops maybe 200 rpm. So I turn it off, and then try it again, Nothing.
So O/D and lockup each worked once the stopped working.
So I'm thinking it's still low on fluid maybe. So I take it home, shut it off in front of the house and go to the garage to get more fluid and a funnel. Try to start the car so I can check it idling in neutral, and more starter problems, won't crank at all.
So the car has to sit outside for 24 hours, stopped on my way to work and picked up a new starter, and hopefully in the morning I can jack it up and get it swapped out. Then I can get back to messing with the trans.

Hopefully, it's just a fluid issue. are you using a mini starter?

Hopefully, it's just a fluid issue. are you using a mini starter?
Yes, the problem I've had is the small post where the trigger wire connects, the post actually turns in the case when you're trying to take the nut off, and it breaks this little wire inside, I've tried re soldering it twice, but it's down inside the case a bit and hard to reach, so my soldering attempts have failed twice now. So just going to replace it.

Yes, the problem I've had is the small post where the trigger wire connects, the post actually turns in the case when you're trying to take the nut off, and it breaks this little wire inside, I've tried re soldering it twice, but it's down inside the case a bit and hard to reach, so my soldering attempts have failed twice now. So just going to replace it.

Man, what a pain! I got a mini from O'Reilly with a lifetime warranty, so it can just be replaced if it dies.

Did you use relays in the system, or just the switches? I would also put an inline fuse in, if you didn't already. I like the clean looking set up though, looks cool and convenient.

Did you use relays in the system, or just the switches? I would also put an inline fuse in, if you didn't already. I like the clean looking set up though, looks cool and convenient.
No relays at this time, and I will be adding an in line fuse probably this weekend, just didn't have one when I hooked up the last wire this morning, which was the key on power to the tranny.

I was able to use my existing speedo cable. When I replaced it years ago I got one that was too long by accident, but now it's the perfect length for the A500. Sorry I don't remember know what application I used when buying the cable.

Pretty much every one you get from a parts house will be too long now a days ...

So I was ready to change out the starter this morning, working in the street in front of the house. Just for grins I thought I'd give it a try before I started jacking it up. Well it started right up.
So took it for another drive to get the trans warmed up, brought it back into the garage and checked the trans fluid level, with it idleing in neutral. It was about 1 quart low, so I topped it up, and then too it out for another drive. The overdrive works every time now, which is a relief, running on the highway at a steady 3000 rpm, clicking on the OD drops the rpm to right around 2100-2200. I'm not sure the lockup is doing anything. I swear when I tried it yesterday on my first drive, you could feel it lockup and see the rpm drop a little.
Today, tried it several times and doesn't seem like anything is happening, and the rpm does not change at all, on or off. Not really sure what I could do to test the lockup, but I dont think its working.
Still have to mess with my kickdown cable, sometimes flooring it at 50 or so it wont kick down, and sometimes it will, but then drops right back to third almost immediately. But seems if I tighten up the kickdown at all, then I get this problem where it keeps dropping into second as soon as I start slowing down from highway speed. Pretty annoying,, but backing off the k/d helped that, but now it doesn't want to kick down when I step on it. Have to mess with it some more. I did install the Transgo shift kit in this trans, as well as a new band, and new red eagle clutches/steels in direct and forward drums . The other thing is the the 2-3 shift seems really delayed, have to get nearly to highway speed to get to third, or really let completly off the gas to get it to up shift. Even if I drop it into low with the shifter then take off, 1-2 shift happens when I move the shifter, 2-3 I can move the shifter and it still doesn't shift till the rpm is much higher, or until I totally let off the gas.

Did you check the transmission fluid again? Sometimes it the torque converter is low it will give a false reading. If the torque converter is empty it takes like 10 quarts or something crazy.

Did you check the transmission fluid again? Sometimes it the torque converter is low it will give a false reading. If the torque converter is empty it takes like 10 quarts or something crazy.
Before my last test drive this morning I topped it up, makes like 10-1/2 quarts I've put in. But I didn't check it again when I get home.

you may find that you need to put in 10-12 quarts by the time you are done. A 727 uses 10+ lines and cooler, and a 46RH holds more fluid in the pan.

If you want to know if the lock up is working for sure, just leave it on and try coming to a stop. It will drag down the engine just like a stick car would if you didn't press the clutch. I wouldn't stall the motor out but you should be able to tell easily. I have forgotten to switch mine off before and had this happen by accident.

Garth

If you want to know if the lock up is working for sure, just leave it on and try coming to a stop. It will drag down the engine just like a stick car would if you didn't press the clutch. I wouldn't stall the motor out but you should be able to tell easily. I have forgotten to switch mine off before and had this happen by accident.

Garth
Thanks Garth, I was thinking of trying that, was just waiting to see if someone brought it up before I tried it.
Got the car up in the air this morning and got that starter swapped out, works great now.
So right now I'm on my third official test drive. Driving to work, which is around 1/2 hour each way and mostly highway.
Love flipping that switch and watching the rpm drop, the car gets quieter which is nice too.

-
Back