Head gasket hell

-

Jecia

Reaction score
Ok so I just changed my head gasket on my 83 D150. It was running at temp and all that good stuff before I changed the gasket.Now it'll be okay if your going under 40- 50mph but when i put it in 4th for hiway speeds it crawls up to 210 and slowly gets higher, i have a 180t-stat in it now. In the mornings it doesn't have this issue, is it possible i accidentally flipped the gasket and covered a water jaket or something? Not sure what to do so if anyone has any idea please let me know.

The locating pins only allow the gskts to be installed correctly.

If you got a lotta old gskt material in the cooling system, you mighta partially plugged the rad.
If you got a temp gun, when hot, shoot the top and bottom rad hose fittings, to see if the rads doing its job . Post temps pls . jmo

What do you have for a radiator? I just did a engine reseal and clutch replacement on my 84 D-100 slant six. Had the same type of problem. Turned out replacing the radiator cured the problem. I had the radiator sitting out in my carport for a couple of months.

Could also be air trapped in the system. Did you purge the air out after you filled it with coolant?

The locating pins only allow the gskts to be installed correctly.

If you got a lotta old gskt material in the cooling system, you mighta partially plugged the rad.
If you got a temp gun, when hot, shoot the top and bottom rad hose fittings, to see if the rads doing its job . Post temps pls . jmo
I thought so,it did get pretty dirty while cleaning would radiator flush work to get the gunk out of there is some.

Those heater hose flush kits might kick stuff out the top of rad if instructions are followed.
Please ensure no animals can drink the old antifreeze or flush residue, the death is very painful and cruel.
Good luck.
Shooting the rad temps could eliminate the need.
If the rad is shedding enuff heat, there could be other issues.

Those heater hose flush kits might kick stuff out the top of rad if instructions are followed.
Please ensure no animals can drink the old antifreeze or flush residue, the death is very painful and cruel.
Good luck.
Shooting the rad temps could eliminate the need.
If the rad is shedding enuff heat, there could be other issues.
Alright I'll see what happens thanks for the info

Maybe read post #3 and give us some answers?

I'll bet that's an overdrive 4-speed, idling down the hiway at ~2100, with not nearly enough ignition timing. Maybe even with a 4-blade fan, no shroud, and the fan is like a yard from the rad right?
Is that a lean-burn truck? I bet the truck sucks gas too! If yes check your cruize-timing, my money would be on a failed/failing vacuum sensor. If not that, then check the water circulation, maybe it needs a pump.

I thought so,it did get pretty dirty while cleaning would radiator flush work to get the gunk out of there is some.
Rad flush is a waste of time & money, & won't do a damn thing to remove debri/gasket material. Drain it, pull it, turn it upside down & get a garden hose hooked up to the lower hose neck seal it somehow & let it rip. That's the best You're gonna do rad-wise on Your own, might do the reverse-flush on the heater core while You're at it. If You stirred-up junk in the bottom of the water jackets, You may want to hook Your garden hose to the heater hose on the head, then let it rip out the lower rad hose.
If the flow thru' the rad can't keep up/doesn't clear, it probably needs rodded/replaced.
As AJ alluded to, be sure Your vac advance is hooked up properly & working, and as also mentioned above,....please be mindful of where the antifreeze is going. I'm always keeping track of the feral & neighbor's cats & other animals, & cleaning up after Myself, as big a PITA as it is sometimes...
Good luck & keep Us updated.
P.S. It would be impossible to flip the gasket end-for-end, the dowel pins are staggered, one nearly at bore center & one offset almost to the side of the front bore camshaft side.

I know you can get a blizzard in Wyoming in July. Calcium in the water can clog things up. I had a '67 Ford Falcon Club Wagon. Ran straight hard water in it for years in Florida. When It came time to move North I ran TSP in the water to remove the calcium. Tri sodium phospate. Flushed it out and did my anti-freeze.

-
Back