Header Leak??

-
One Word>>> REMFLEX no more issues. my headers (blackjack Alumicoat) are over 30 years old and until someone on here told me about the Remflex gaskets I was going to buy new headers, no matter what I tried, not needed with the remflex gaskets worth every penny...

http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/79.htm

I have to second this big time.
Remflex gaskets are soft and thick and compressable so sealing is a breeze.
They also gaurantee that they wont leak.
There is no need to run and then retighten.
They do not need sealer.

They are about 50 bucks a set and worth every friggin penny.
How much is 50 bucks compared to all the time people spend fighting leaks???
REMFLEX, Once and you are done.

There are VERY few products I will ever strongly recommend and Remflex is one.
The other is RainX so that ought to tell you something. :D

I am going to buy a set of Remflex gaskets, I think I can buy them locally, if not I may just use the percey header gaskets that I have currently. So the remflex ones need no sealer? what about the percey ones if I can't find the remflex ones locally and have to order them? I took the old gaskets off the headers so I need something for the time being, which worst case would be the percey gaskets.

When I took the old ones off I took a look at them, they were stuck to the header pretty good, but came off the head without issue, and on some of the ports it was a bit burnt, so I looks like they were leaking in one place on both gaskets. I take it they aren't supposed to be burnt?

I am going to buy a set of Remflex gaskets, I think I can buy them locally, if not I may just use the percey header gaskets that I have currently. So the remflex ones need no sealer? what about the percey ones if I can't find the remflex ones locally and have to order them? I took the old gaskets off the headers so I need something for the time being, which worst case would be the percey gaskets.

When I took the old ones off I took a look at them, they were stuck to the header pretty good, but came off the head without issue, and on some of the ports it was a bit burnt, so I looks like they were leaking in one place on both gaskets. I take it they aren't supposed to be burnt?

I am pretty sure you can only get remflex direct, if you have a source that stocks them then your lucky, I really mean it if you put ANYTHING other than the REMFLEX you will be doing this over again!!! and you do NOT put anything on them you have to make sure everything is CLEAN and DRY. good luck let us know how they work...

I am pretty sure you can only get remflex direct, if you have a source that stocks them then your lucky, I really mean it if you put ANYTHING other than the REMFLEX you will be doing this over again!!! and you do NOT put anything on them you have to make sure everything is CLEAN and DRY. good luck let us know how they work...

Well good news, I went to another local parts place and they only carry fel-pro and remflex header gaskets. So of course I bought the remflex ones, not cheap for gaskets but I can see that they are pretty good gaskets, even the guy at the counter said that I won't have any leaks and that some people seal even with warped flanges. When I get home today I will clean everything off and install them. I'll update with the results!

Well bad news...I got one header on and all torqued up, but the other one stripped a bolt hole :/ the bolt is out and the header is off, what should I do about that? It just the first little bit of the hole, not the whole thing. Tap it to clean up the threads?

It said to torque them to 20 foot pounds, that seemed a bit excessive for the aluminum heads, nothing else got stripped besides the one hole, should I reduce the torque?

Also can I use the gasket again? I never got it fully torqued down, but there are some impressions in it. It is still in one piece, and not damaged.

Yes you can re--use those gaskets. I'd try to use as long of a bolt as I could on that damaged hole. That way you'd be able to grab more threads. What heads do you have?

Yes you can re--use those gaskets. I'd try to use as long of a bolt as I could on that damaged hole. That way you'd be able to grab more threads. What heads do you have?

I do have some longer ones, I think that's why it stripped, they were too short with the thicker gasket so they didn't have enough thread on that hole for whatever reason. I looked in the hole and the threads are still good further in. I have eddy aluminum heads.

Also can I use the gasket again? I never got it fully torqued down, but there are some impressions in it. It is still in one piece, and not damaged.

I have taken mine loose and repositioned them and when it all went back they didn't leak.
I also have a busted of stud on the drivers side rear (going to replace with milled 360 heads) and it STILL doesn't leak.
They don't stick to anything either.

When I reused mine it was because I took the header loose from the engine because I needed to weld up a small leak in the passenger side collector, and when I pulled it loose from the motor I noticed the port hole in the gasket was right at the edge of the port.
I just cut the bolt holes of the gasket out a little with a dremel and that repositioned the port holes, so I know they reseal if if the alredy have indentations in them.

If you have a thread chaser I would use one of those there is no way you can rethread it, I got a rethreading kit locally, and the gasket should be fine since you haven't heated it up yet.
[ame]http://youtu.be/7q41yt-PKJw[/ame]

I do have some longer ones, I think that's why it stripped, they were too short with the thicker gasket so they didn't have enough thread on that hole for whatever reason. I looked in the hole and the threads are still good further in. I have eddy aluminum heads.

Are bolt holes in edelbrock heads not helicoiled? I've never had a set.

I will get a thread chaser to clean up the threads, I think I can clean them, they aren't that bad I don't think. And being that they are already heli-coiled what would the next thing I can do be if the thread chaser doesn't work. And that's good to know that I can use the gasket again.

Well I ended up pulling out the old heli coil and putting in a new one, put the gasket on and torqued everything up, no issues. Started it up and no leaks! Sounds really good, thanks!

-
Back