Header Paint

-
I've done VHT with no primer it works, but I always sandblast.
I've got one set of headers that are individual tubes so I put them in the oven for 45 minutes @ 450° talk about nice.

Nice! I let mine back hot in the sun and then apply the spray paint, then let cure in the sun for a while, then apply another coat if need be. Again, letting cure in the hot sunshine.

I have used Por15 high temp exhaust coating for years on the exhaust systems of Vw based off-road cars. It takes a beating and takes about three years before it needs to be repainted. Regular high temp rattle can paint has never lasted very long.

I don't have an oven that big, so I'll cure them on the car. I'll just have to make sure the engine has enough timing in it so as not to over heat the headers. I went ahead and decided to use a 7 year old quart (still unopened) of VHT flat black. There was about an inch of solids in the bottom but I stirred for about 20 minutes or so and got it all back mixed together. It actually went on good for coat number one. We'll see how it turns out. Worst case is, they'll be coming back off and done again. It's all I have and I cannot afford another can so.........
Use a gas or charcoal grill, just hang them over the heat.

reviving this old thread... is there any updates on how the coatings are holding up? Curious as i may do mine but my headers are heavily dimpled and pinched, so looking to what colors would hide them best (other than black).

20190810_135909 (1).jpg

This is the best stuff I have used so far. Sand Blast your manifolds and then 2 coats of this product. No special base coats needed at all. Stays on, does not rust sitting over the winters.

20180305_193240.jpg
IMG952017041995184456328.jpg

Even works good on rusty tail pipes if you clean them up first.

That Rustoleum "High Heat" 2000 degree paint is one of the best. Stays on, Proven results over years on the mopar exhaust manifolds.

Best to sand blast or media blast things first, no need to prime with high temp primer either. Lots of products are 1000 degress, Rustoleum Claims 2000 degree. It just works, does not flake off.

View attachment 1715376542

View attachment 1715376543

Spray on and let the solvents evaporate, dries quick. Install them on the car, fire up the engine and bake it on.
Done Deal . . .
Those look awesome! I can turn any 15 minute job into 5 hours and really don't want to take the manifolds off (but they look atrocious in an otherwise nice survivor 273), Can I just tape stuff up and get an adequate coat on without removing?

Been meaning to post an update. I used VHT primer and silver coat on my TTI shorties. One can of each was enough. BeIng that I have a BB had to remove the heads which I was doing anyways to replace the gasket. Took the headers to a shop to beadblast and they let me paint on premise before baking.
B29BA1E5-A96D-41D9-A7CD-EEC498D31F0D.jpeg
F23DC016-0F88-4E24-8318-DFD9A2AD8706.jpeg
8C786521-EDD2-4302-AE8A-E42923FE5123.jpeg

Any auto parts high heat paint is crap, what actually works is BBQ Paint 4 bucks a can Rustoleum at home depot or walmart. Also a lot of prep work helps i do good thick coats take time to let each coat dry, Then i stick my moms hair dryer in the collector heat up that header goood to let it cure.

I bake the spray painted parts in the summer sun. I let each coat fully dry before the next one is applied.

Yeah well, best prep I am doin with my lazy *** is steel wool and no primer. So we'll see I guess.

Just did the same thing to my dual 3 1/2'' , after the h pipe installation , has held up very well on the used tti / sandblasted headers too.

how did that work out?
I paint my headers outdoors on hot summer days (hoping for low humidity) and let the sun bake/cure it on that way with always having good results. Hang the headers from a wire hanger exposed to as much sun as possible. Primer, paint and clear - done in a day. It takes most of the day with multiple light coats.

how did that work out?
Not bad. Kind of hard to regulate the temp. VHT says to heat to 250 then 450 then 600
how did that work out?

seems to be OK but wont know till i install them an run for awhile. Hardest part is getting the temp right.
im doing second set of headers and intake manifold today. Supposed to be at 250 for first cycle but went up to 450 before i knew it. To many briquettes

E9A532B4-4D00-481B-8524-3262A7D0A74E.jpeg

Just cycled the parts again. First cycle 350-400 for 20 min.

shooting for 450 this cycle and then 600 or as close as i can get

Still going to do three cycles per VHT instructions

On my last project i sandblasted and rubbed on Calyx. It's a wax / graphite combination and looks like natural cast dark grey.First touch up was this year and still looks like new after 4 years!

I used the Rust-oleum grill paint, lasted years.
I tested a small section after 1 coat with map gas and nothing.

Started to get rust spots on the top of the highest pipes and some other small areas.
Paint never flaked off.

Had them blasted and ceramic coated.
Lasted a year.

The second set of headers didnt come out as nice as first. I think the temp was too high on the first cycle. Came out burnt looking. intake manifold looks good tho

9516332F-34D0-45AE-B8B5-FEB88D7406E6.jpeg

-
Back