Headers for 318 Duster w/ p/s

-

qwk dust

Reaction score
We have a '74 Duster with a 318 that we are getting ready to start building up. The car is all original so we decided to build the 318 and 904 rather than swapping them out. I have been looking for headers for this set up and it appears that most of them indicate that they can be used only on cars without power steering. I don't want to give up the power steering if possible. Does somebody make a set of header for a 318 Duster with power steering? Thanks

Hedman makes some that fit PS - I have them on two of my cars, one of which is a 1974 Duster. Seems like most of the other manufacturers also address this application; you should have lots of choices here...

Ray

Hooker Competition headers (1 5/8" tubes) work with power steering, I have a set on the barracuda and dart each with power steering.

Bob

I had a set of Dynomax ceramic coated headers on my 75 dart. It had Powersteering. I could even change out a mini starter without dropping the header but I had to grind the square corners off my steering knuckle.

I would buy them again.

***I just noticed, you can just make them out in my avatar.****

tti's fit no problem,and well worth the extra cost,only headers i use....

Thanks folks. It just seemed that most I found said w/o power steering. Lots of choices.

1 5/8" Dougs fit great. Part # D453 Nice pieces and less expensive than tti.

TTi's are copies of Dougs headers for their set ups.

1 5/8" Dougs fit great. Part # D453 Nice pieces and less expensive than tti.

TTi's are copies of Dougs headers for their set ups.

What....dougs headers driverside looks nothing like tti's,tti's are stepped 1 5/8-1 7/8-dougs are 1 5/8 the whole lenght,dougs come in raw steel,tti's come nickle plated however the ceramic coated dougs are 100.00 less then tti's...

Pictures of Dougs next to tti's!!!!!!!!

I used Hooker Comp's and there a wild pain to get in with the cursed 3 tubes under the front end linkage, drivers side. At what I paid, $140, .... well, I wish I had the money for the tti's. But since cost was an issue......

leblanc, I think they only do big blocks. I could be wrong on that, but have not noticed small block versions.

How about the Dynomax ceramic ones? They look reasonably priced.

TTI

IM000789.jpg

IM000790.jpg

WOW! Thats the first set of dougs headers I have ever seen. And they do not go under the steering linkage.

I usa Hooker Competition headers (1 5/8" tubes) for now, they fit but they do hang low(on drivers side) and are pretty beat up.

I crushed and ripped open two of the tubes on a speedbump today at lunch.
Now my Duster idles rough.
I wish I would have stuck with the factory manifolds, the headers are a headache.

My Duster is a 1974 with 318 and power steering. It had hooker headers when I bought it but I couldn't stand the fact that they hung so low, so we got flowtech headers for it and they were almost the exact same design and the fit was terrible. Then my starter went out and it was impossible to reach it with the headers in the way. So we cut them up and I got manifolds for it. Much more convienent. But less power. If I were to ever buy headers for my 318 I would spend the extra money on tti's.

Adam dougs looks pretty nice, maybe its just the cameraangel but doesnt it look like it would be a nightmare to change the starter with those headers in place?
for me i have TTI and im not looking back i love them but the dougs look to be close to equal:)

They do not capture the starter (mini is needed). They are really nice. My buddy got them for his 360 crate and we installed them, piece of cake. They are cheaper then TTi's and are very well made. If i decide to spend the money, i will be going with the Dougs

I crushed and ripped open two of the tubes on a speedbump today at lunch.
Now my Duster idles rough.
I wish I would have stuck with the factory manifolds, the headers are a headache.

Dual exhaust off the stock manifolds,is what I suggest.

Headers with a 318 are not really worth a lot of power,
especially if the 318 is stock compression, etc....

I did put a cam in my 318, Mopar Performance # 4452759.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DCC-4452759&autoview=sku

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,200-5,200

Great for the street. :)

Listen to the car, with the 318, cam, and dual exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

I know that the B-body headers work w/ a bodies, Or you could save up and get some shorty headers and not worry about busting the headers so much, just my 2 cents or 1 cent, you pick

Dual exhaust off the stock manifolds,is what I suggest.

Headers with a 318 are not really worth a lot of power,
especially if the 318 is stock compression, etc....

I did put a cam in my 318, Mopar Performance # 4452759.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DCC-4452759&autoview=sku

Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,200-5,200

Great for the street. :)

Listen to the car, with the 318, cam, and dual exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

The exhaust sounds good. What did you use?

The exhaust sounds good. What did you use?

Dynomax SUper Turbo mufflers,
my local Midas did the install, using the stock manifolds,
and going from the stock 1 7/8", to 2 1/4".

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK-17731&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Brand: Dynomax Performance
Product Line: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers
Part Type: Mufflers
Part Number: WLK-17731
Case Shape: Oval
Inlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity: Single
Inlet Location: Offset
Outlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Outlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Turbo-style