hedman "tight tube" hedders?

-
Yep! Mini starter required. With both TTI and these. So either way, you gotta go mini starter.
that's what I was thinking. I'm beginning to think the late model starters will clear due to their smaller size. I'll soon find out, plus being they are readily available from every parts outlet and junk yard makes it even better.

Why would anyone spend a few hundred on a mini starter when you can get one from a yard for $10 or over the counter from the local parts store for 65 bucks, besides why would anyone still be running the stock, slow, big, bulky, POS factory starter on anything other than a 100 point resto?!?!?

I think you could get away with the stock starter no problem. I just use the mini in everything I do.
Ah. Hmm, when one of us installs 'em, we will ave to give it a shot8)
Why does it say on TTIs site that they need a mini starter when Ive looked all over the web? I guess mancini wants us to spend more money.
I was wrong, eh, s*^& happens.:bootysha: I guess these would prolly fit too with the stock(or simar starter)

Probably because they dont wanna fix what isn't broken. Damn those starters are heavy. The ones on newer fords are prolly just as heavy. lol. I had to change one from underneath the car unraised, I set it on my chest and almost couldnt breathe

Why would anyone spend a few hundred on a mini starter when you can get one from a yard for $10 or over the counter from the local parts store for 65 bucks, besides why would anyone still be running the stock, slow, big, bulky, POS factory starter on anything other than a 100 point resto?!?!?

I used the $65.00 starter on my 410 stroker it broke in 2 days! Funny cause right after the engine was dyno'd, Brian at IMM Engines told me your starter is gunna go out right away and it did!

So what starter should I get for my 1970 340 Dart if I get these headers ?

So what starter should I get for my 1970 340 Dart if I get these headers ?

From what I see installing these HEDMANS on my 67 Dart project is you could run the Big stock starter or the Mini, Pick your poison.

I have TTI's on my 70 Dart and I would NEVER try to get a Big Azzz Stock Starter in there...... it is a PITA with the Mini Starter!!

go to advance, orielly, or whatever and get the starter from a early 90's dakota.. say 91 with a 318. they are "mini starters". get the one with lifetime warranty and your problem is solved. i bought one and its worked fine for a year now. if it craps out, ill pull it and get a warranty exchange. it only cost like $80 bucks vs. $65 for the one year.

go to advance, orielly, or whatever and get the starter from a early 90's dakota.. say 91 with a 318. they are "mini starters". get the one with lifetime warranty and your problem is solved. i bought one and its worked fine for a year now. if it craps out, ill pull it and get a warranty exchange. it only cost like $80 bucks vs. $65 for the one year.

Good information!

Thanks , will get that starter with the headers come next march . Car is going in to storage in 2 weeks

I only need driver side , summit lists this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78506-RSO/?rtype=10 as passenger side , looks like driver side to me . mistake on summits site ?

Interesting I never knew you could purchase them individually and not in a set .Seeing as I already have a set of street rod shorty Headers I guess I could just buy the D/S.

that's what I thought , so do they sell driver side only ? it is listed as passenger side , don't want to get a passenger side , need a driver side

They also list the drivers side individually. Seems the pics are mixed up I would definetly order this item by phone to be sure your getting the correct part and hopefully eliminate the hassle of having to do a return/exchange.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78506-LSO/

I just checked as far as I can tell it seems that the uncoated hedders are only sold as a pair.

Thanks , one more stupid question , would it be terrible to run one shorty header and a long tube on the other side until money is available ? Right now the driver side has a pancaked tube that really needs changing , and there are cracks around the collector .
Thanks .

Thanks , one more stupid question , would it be terrible to run one shorty header and a long tube on the other side until money is available ? Right now the driver side has a pancaked tube that really needs changing , and there are cracks around the collector .
Thanks .
I wouldn't do it. I see no benefit. I would run a full set of either one or the other.

EDIT: Plus I don't understand selling just one header. Makes no sense to me so either I'm missing something or running mix and match exhaust parts is on the same line as running two different casting cylinder heads... I'm just sayin'

EDIT: Plus I don't understand selling just one header. Makes no sense to me so either I'm missing something or running mix and match exhaust parts is on the same line as running two different casting cylinder heads... I'm just sayin'[/QUOTE]

I've never seen headers sold singly either till this thread.Possibly because street rods and/or trucks don't typically have the same clearance issues and can probably use two of the passenger side.

im still a little skeptic because the power steering box is much larger than non. and this is the problem with the dakota manifolds on a power steering car. That first tube seems to hang pretty close to the manual box, if so, its going to hit on the power steering box.

well the 1st chance i get from a financial standpoint I (we) are gonna find out my friend! And if they fit, great! and if not, I'll return them to Summit and call it good. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Mad Dart

Is the pic above from summit an accurate representation of the headers. I know they like to use generic pics for products. Did they find a way to dump them that doesn't point directly at the K frame?

I don't know, for another $140 you can buy a set of Dougs d453-r painted headers for $429 from summit and less at some other places, if you have to have coated they are $570

Mad Dart

Is the pic above from summit an accurate representation of the headers. I know they like to use generic pics for products. Did they find a way to dump them that doesn't point directly at the K frame?

I don't know, for another $140 you can buy a set of Dougs d453-r painted headers for $429 from summit and less at some other places, if you have to have coated they are $570

Yes they are exactly like the picture. The header on top in the picture is the Drivers side.

For you naturally aspirated guys the Painted Doug's may be the ticket and even the coated versions of the dougs are VERY reasonable!

Of course depending on $$ and intended use. For a cruser, the Headmans are your cheapest route for sure.

the thing that people don't realize on the TTI's and Doug's and what not is the fact that even at times they won't fit either. Like in my situation, the idler arm mount on the k frame is in the incorrect place, as well as the motor mount ears being tweaked. Chrysler was sloppy with the placement of the K frame accessories. If these headers work, they will be lifesavers for alot of us guys! so preach all yall want on the tti's and doug's but they may not be worth the cash if things are out of alignment on the k frame

im still a little skeptic because the power steering box is much larger than non. and this is the problem with the dakota manifolds on a power steering car. That first tube seems to hang pretty close to the manual box, if so, its going to hit on the power steering box.

Well if they don't fit power steering they are no good for my car .
PLEASE keep us posed on how , or if they fit power steering Darts .
Thanks

EDIT: Plus I don't understand selling just one header. Makes no sense to me so either I'm missing something or running mix and match exhaust parts is on the same line as running two different casting cylinder heads... I'm just sayin'

I've never seen headers sold singly either till this thread.Possibly because street rods and/or trucks don't typically have the same clearance issues and can probably use two of the passenger side.

Hooker has been or was selling the drivers side header only from 5901 Comp headers for a long time. Imagine that, the ground dragging side is available... :) Just not something that get a lot of advertising.

I have the SS hookers , they sell the drivers side because it is always getting pancaked !! mine is flat and cracked , needs changing now !

-
Back