Help me buy an $80,000 car

-
So, after all the comments, are you gonna go look at it? Still might be worth it, or at least you can negotiate based on the comments.

Still gonna look at it. But with my eyes a little more wide open. Even if I don't buy, knowlege is power and I'll know more for the next one. Honestly I know a 50 year old car wont be perfect, but I NEED a solid body and good enough mechanics I can get to where I want. If it looks close enough I can replace the bumpers for about a grand, and reupholster the seats locally for about another grand. I understand resale red and I will be checking closely for mud in all the usual places. I'm hoping for working ac eventually so the wife will want to ride in the summer, but the motor may be overbuilt for the rest of the ac system. I'll post after I see it. Thanks again for everyone helping me out. FABO is the best!

I love 68-70 Chargers . Mine used to drive by my house in the early 70s after filling up at local gas station ( which I ended up working at and got to know original owner) and I fell in love with it .
That being said I believe the market for them right now is over hyped due to speculators and will cool off a bit soon . Just like E-bodies did .

Not seeing the headliner issue, can you tell me where to look? Don't say up!

here in the upper right. unless that's some kind of reflection, that appears to be super wavy gravy back there next to the rear window.
1970-dodge-charger-500.jpg

overall, for me, at that kinda coin i'd expect a car that's damn near perfect. and the whole interior just looks kinda tired to me. like the seats are beat down, the steeringwheel and shift knob are worn, thing like that drive me nuts.

I'm a bit late to the party but I have to agree with the majority of responses that this car is not worth $80k usd. First thing that turned me off is the non original powertrain, no matter what it will always be a 318 car, period. For me the value is not there largely because of this, but I also see this as an 'ok' driver quality car, which I would value at closer to $45k. At the asking price of this one, there are just far too many problems, from paint chips and swirls to missing park brake components and well worn seats, plus broken emblems, dented bumpers, etc.
I think for the money you can find a much better car that won't leave you feeling cheated.
Just my. 02.

What's with the parking brake stuff in this picture? Hard to see, but it looks rigged. Also, the wiper motor and wiring on the firewall don't look like 80K. Seems these dealer cars are always "smoothed over". Where's the trunk floor and floor pan pics?
WOW ! Way better cars out there. The under carriage is plain nasty...

I'm a bit late to the party but I have to agree with the majority of responses that this car is not worth $80k usd. First thing that turned me off is the non original powertrain, no matter what it will always be a 318 car, period. For me the value is not there largely because of this, but I also see this as an 'ok' driver quality car, which I would value at closer to $45k. At the asking price of this one, there are just far too many problems, from paint chips and swirls to missing park brake components and well worn seats, plus broken emblems, dented bumpers, etc.
I think for the money you can find a much better car that won't leave you feeling cheated.
Just my. 02.
Having owned 3 second gen. Charger RT cars and a couple of 318s Chargers, back in the days of 90's, 2000's, I can not wrap my head around anyone with enough $$ to consider this $80,000 price tag for such. Unreal. But, more power to those that want to spend such.

Yes, the second gen. Chargers are sexy and beautiful cars. But, just a fancy 68-70 B body. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Just my. 02.
I am with you on original power train but 50% + of the buyers now don’t even think about that . It’s the non-Mopar people driving this market .

OP , sounds like you have cash to spare so what hell . Buy it and have an expert go through it. Bring a Charger guy with you to pick out glaring defects. Think about it this way… if you dropped 90k on a new BWM Audi or Mercedes it would drop 30% driving off the showroom .
And you can’t take your money with you when you die. Your kids will blow it on something anyway .

I sold luxury cars for 25 years and had customers that would buy 2 or 3 cars per year losing 20-30 each time they traded . The other employees were aghast at the notion …. I pointed out that that customer gets 8,000,000 bonuses and to him he was spending a smaller percentage of his income on these cars than we do for lunch !

What’s the saying ( you only live once) i have had a 69 charger i gave away to a landscaper just because no place to store it stupid on me not making it happen. I have a 69 charger now that was my moms,
IMG_5814.jpeg
as I passed cancer with 5 years free had extra coin bought another 68 charger spent way more then I should have. After receiving the charger found flaws but not to worried as i love the car again (you only live once). If you have the money enjoy it and fix the problems. Picture is the 68 i spent too much on oh well.

Great looking car. My first charger was a 68 dark green. 318. Got crunched parked in front of my house right in front of my eyes. My second was a red 70 with a 383 I sold for $1200 back in the day.

OP , sounds like you have cash to spare so what hell
I am not that guy but this is a once in a lifetime purchase. I know Dukes of Hazard scoured the country and destroyed a living ton of the 2nd gen back in the day, and Bullitt and Fast and Furious drove the prices way up. But I have friends my age dropping like flies and I expect these to only get more rare and expensive.

Id rather have @Kern Dog 's red '70.

Thank you. that is very kind.

01 face 26.jpg

I'm listening...

But I'm a lifer... I'm the type that finds what I like and then hold onto it.

hahaha! i'm sure there's a "from my cold dead hands" clause in his rider. or something about backing up a brinks truck.

but no lies man, that is one totally sorted out really sweet ride.

Thank you. With all the features and flaws, it still makes me smile every time that I look at it and drive it.

ETNW3648.JPG

As a car guy, it will never be "finished", I will always be tinkering with it.
I can't believe what some people are willing to spend on these cars. Yesterday at our Mopar show in Sacramento, an 80 year old guy (original owner) of a 69 R/T was testing the interest of selling his sitting in a field for 20 years wrecked car. He was thinking $25,000. I told him that Sacramento may not be a strong enough market to sell here but to put it on some internet sites to gauge the interest. He knew what the internet was but didn't have much experience with it.
It is mind boggling to think that someone might pay $25,000 for a wrecked car then spend another $100,000 to properly restore it.
I bought this turd in 2019 for $5,000:

XH 31.jpg

It was wrecked and parked for 24 years. I had to replace the front stub:

Repair 32.jpg

Rebuilt the original 383:

383 92.jpg

383 108.JPG

I call the car "Jigsaw" because it is a collection of parts from numerous other cars. It looks like a Jigsaw puzzle made from several different puzzles.

JF 7.JPG

JF 19.JPG

In total, I have maybe $10,000 into the car including the $5,000 purchase price.
No. it isn't for sale either. I can only imagine what someone would offer for it but that is all semantics. It could be worth $100,000 to some fool but I'm keeping it.

Thanks for sharing. That 10k doesnt include your time or skills tho. Thats the part that makes it yours!

Thank you. that is very kind.

View attachment 1716312447

But I'm a lifer... I'm the type that finds what I like and then hold onto it.

Thank you. With all the features and flaws, it still makes me smile every time that I look at it and drive it.

View attachment 1716312448

As a car guy, it will never be "finished", I will always be tinkering with it.
I can't believe what some people are willing to spend on these cars. Yesterday at our Mopar show in Sacramento, an 80 year old guy (original owner) of a 69 R/T was testing the interest of selling his sitting in a field for 20 years wrecked car. He was thinking $25,000. I told him that Sacramento may not be a strong enough market to sell here but to put it on some internet sites to gauge the interest. He knew what the internet was but didn't have much experience with it.
It is mind boggling to think that someone might pay $25,000 for a wrecked car then spend another $100,000 to properly restore it.
I bought this turd in 2019 for $5,000:

View attachment 1716312449

It was wrecked and parked for 24 years. I had to replace the front stub:

View attachment 1716312450

Rebuilt the original 383:

View attachment 1716312451

View attachment 1716312452

I call the car "Jigsaw" because it is a collection of parts from numerous other cars. It looks like a Jigsaw puzzle made from several different puzzles.

View attachment 1716312453

View attachment 1716312454

In total, I have maybe $10,000 into the car including the $5,000 purchase price.
No. it isn't for sale either. I can only imagine what someone would offer for it but that is all semantics. It could be worth $100,000 to some fool but I'm keeping it.

Greg, based on your experience, what do you think the one in the original post is worth? $80k seems way high to me, but admittedly I don't play in the B-body sand box.

Greg, based on your experience, what do you think the one in the original post is worth? $80k seems way high to me, but admittedly I don't play in the B-body sand box.
I'll take a look.
I don't aim to be a cheap bastard but the asking prices for these cars all seem to be unrealistic. If someone were to tell me that my car is worth $80,000, I'd shake my head at them. I don't know what it is actually worth but $80,000 seems pretty high. I'll look at the one you mentioned though and report back....

I was watching a Mecum sale yesterday. A '70 Hemi Daytona. Reserve went off at 2 mil and last and final bid was 3 mil! There are cars, and then there are cars! Crazy is it not!?

-
Back