Help me buy an $80,000 car

-
I appreciate the people that can and will pay such $$ for the rare of the rare Mopars.
I appreciate guys more that will put the work and love into building a car like @Kern Dog Charger.
I have done it many times over the years because I wanted a certain car and could or would not pay for a done car, even a half a** done car!
But not everyone has the time or ability.

Some observations:
* Aftermarket gauges hanging under the dash means the original gauges aren't working.
* NO '70 Chargers came with a blacked out taillight panel, none. The '68 and 69s did, not the '70.
* Several chips in the paint, misaligned body panels too.
* The underside is unrestored and "seasoned". This you'd expect from a car with an asking price far lower.
* Inside of trunk is gray, maybe primer?
* Fender tag shows FE5 original color, E 44 for 318 2 barrel.

Overall, not a bad looking car but surely not worth $80,000. For comparison, My car underside:

IMG_4331.JPG

IMG_4363.JPG

605 Q.JPG

Now, I drive my car to car shows, I bash on it around town and I clean up after myself. I know that most cars don't look that good underneath and that is fine but to ask this amount of money, I'd expect more.
I wish that I could give a good, accurate value but in my opinion, this car is a lot like mine aside from the underside.
We both have non stock engines and some chips in the paint.
We both have decent interiors that are presentable but not perfect.
I went for the more modern cornering/handling type of build and this car is more traditional.

Folsom 7.JPG

Time goes fast, I have many cars I’m personally working on. I decided to buy my 68 to drive now as my 69 is still a work in progress and I’m currently working on 68 dart. I have seen money come and go FAST. Sometimes it’s just easier to buy but they will always need working on. If you got the spendable cash buy its your money.

"seasoned"
I like that, seasoned. Been watching the market for a couple years now, few are as well done as yours, Sir. Its easily a 6 figure car in todays market based on comparison. My big concerns on the car I'm looking at are the hidden, overlooked surprises.

I was watching a Mecum sale yesterday. A '70 Hemi Daytona. Reserve went off at 2 mil and last and final bid was 3 mil! There are cars, and then there are cars! Crazy is it not!?
Technically, there were no 1970 Daytona Chargers built. There is something amiss with that one.

That car is a mess too.
There are numerous things to point out with the green car, even more than the red one.
Just a few offhand that may not matter to some but are not how the car was built:
* Grille emblem read 500 but all 500s came with a taillight finish panel like so:

3 2000 J.JPG

Cars that had a VIN starting with XS29 were R/Ts. The XP29 were 500 models. Both the XS and XP had the taillight panel. The XH29 was the base model with no decorative taillight panel. I didn't see the VIN posted on the green car.

2 Chargers E.jpg

The weird dual exhaust with twin tips?
Black firewall and black trunk. Blacked out grille was popular some time ago.
Traction bars? really?
Weird aftermarket K member with the sway bar mounted at an odd angle.
Dirty underside.
1971 and later steering column with weird key interlock lever at the top.
Strange upper panels on doors lacking the CHARGER medallion. No pad on parking brake lever.
Decent looking paint, nice vinyl top, engine bay seems well sorted aside from weird blackout on both sides of core support and firewall.
If the green car were reliable and didn't look worse in person than it does in these pictures, it may be a solid car you'd enjoy driving. It, along with the red car may be good performers with just a few cosmetic issues that may not bother some people.
My own car has it's pickadillies that I just deal with. I have a list of things that I consider changing or replacing.
I'm not selling though.
It is human nature to somehow overlook one's own flaws while being hyper critical of others that we don't own.

01 A8.gif

Last edited:
That blue '70 in the Hemmings ad:

Lastly, if I'm spending your $80k , I'm buying this one and spending the remaining $20k on whatever engine rebuild or swap your heart desires.
[/URL][/URL]

THAT is a nice looking car. I love B5 blue though....so much that I considered a color change for the red car. Instead, I bought Jigsaw and intend to paint it B5.

IMG_3850.JPG

For $60,000, that blue '70 looks like a much better car.

Honestly I'd probably buy this for less money, it's at least a 383 car (not wild about the FJ5 and '69 stripe). Used 1970 Dodge Charger 500 Sublime Green 383 4 Barrel Carb For Sale ($44,995) | Cassandra Motorsports Stock #10396

I don’t think it matter much over 318 or 383-2bbl originally if they’ve both been upgraded to 440 or same motor.

These chargers have turned into blank canvas’ to make custom or slightly modified car of your choice.

The collectiblity is in the R/T. Or maybe something odd and desirable. Like an original sunroof car. This 383 N-code 4 speed in sublime might be worth keeping stock.

You have $80k to spend, you are FAR better off buying a private sale rather than from a dealer or consignment type place. For a start your $80k is buying you an $80k car, not a $50k car marked up. Also to meet and talk to the owner is invaluable. You get to see where they live, how they act in terms of the car, get a good feel of the history and how the car has been treated. They are also far more likely to tell you the truth about any flaws, not like some bullshitter car salesman.
It's more work and travelling for sure, but the end result will be better.
Go on the B bodies site and put a Wanted to Buy advert, there may be some older members who are interested in selling.

-
Back