Help me buy an $80,000 car

-
1728332399041.png

This one is up next. I have a post on FBBO to see if anybody knows this car. And harrisonm is in the area so we will see. From the pics it looks like a way more solid car.

View attachment 1716312867
This one is up next. I have a post on FBBO to see if anybody knows this car. And harrisonm is in the area so we will see. From the pics it looks like a way more solid car.
That's the one I was thinking, and having harrisonm check it out is a great idea, since he has no interest in it other giving you an honest opinion on the condition of it.

Cant tell you how disappointed I was looking at the red one. The frame holes were plugged with rust scale falling off. There was undercoating over top of overspray on the car. Nothing but a deliberate attempt to hid stuff. Should have expected it.

View attachment 1716312867

The green one looks great to me except the non stock light green paintwork.

Last edited:
Cant tell you how disappointed I was looking at the red one. The frame holes were plugged with rust scale falling off. There was undercoating over top of overspray on the car. Nothing but a deliberate attempt to hid stuff. Should have expected it.
If nothing else comes of it, at least you know what a p.o.s. that one is, and so do some of the members here.
:thumbsup:

The green o e looks great to me except the non stock light green paintwork.
Not a fan of the paint work either but if it helps me get the car cheaper I'll deal with it. The engine compartment looks mint, and I've contacted the seller for some under car shots.

Please tell me you voiced your displeasure. They knew it wasn't an $80k car, not even a $60k car. Now it calls all their cars into question, and they have a lotta cars!

Please tell me you voiced your displeasure. They knew it wasn't an $80k car, not even a $60k car. Now it calls all their cars into question, and they have a lotta cars!
It doesn’t matter what the dealership knows about the value of the car. They are going to sell it for the highest price possible. If some sucker comes in there and offers $70k or $75k for it, they are likely to say sold! Doesn’t matter if it’s only worth $35k. As long as an uninformed person is willing to shell out big bucks for it, why would they only sell it for $35k??

Why does pretty well every city have multiple non car brand affiliated small (ie: less than 50 car) used car dealerships? Most of those cars have been wrecked or have salvaged titles that the main stream dealerships wouldn’t even consider putting on their lots. Those fly by night dealerships exist since there are still a lot of uninformed car buyers looking for a car but either don’t have the knowledge or credit (or both) to buy from a reputable dealer.

AND the plus being that Mike is a paint/body guy. Being able to assess that is hugely beneficial. I think most of us are "ok" with mechanicals, obviously some better than others, but Pro quality painters is another story.
That's the one I was thinking, and having harrisonm check it out is a great idea, since he has no interest in it other giving you an honest opinion on the condition of it.

Please tell me you voiced your displeasure.
Funny and sad at the same time. Brought my son in law who is a professional mechanic and my grandson who has built multiple chevy engines. Went to open the hood and discovered a broken grill. Opened the hood and fluids everywhere. Think at that point he knew it was a no sale. Then we climbed under and tore apart the paint and body work and he kinda wandered off. Stuck my finger inside a frame drain hole and pulled out a literal pile of rust scale, next to where a piece of bondo had fallen off. I saw where there was overspray on the underbody with undercoating sprayed over that. I voted with my feet. They were polite cause all they have to do is wait for the next sucker.

Good eye/memory. Here's a for sale thread from same guy, same location. Not saying he's a shyster, but what can he do that knowledgable members on here can't do?
[SOLD] - 1972 Plymouth Valiant 340 4spd
call this guy with your 80k burning a hole in your pocket before you buy an 80k turd. He is good at finding people cars with the proper value
[/URL]

He’s a dealer that’s posted cars here for sale. He gets his dealer up mark.

You buy something from him? A relative of yours?

Funny and sad at the same time. Brought my son in law who is a professional mechanic and my grandson who has built multiple chevy engines. Went to open the hood and discovered a broken grill. Opened the hood and fluids everywhere. Think at that point he knew it was a no sale. Then we climbed under and tore apart the paint and body work and he kinda wandered off. Stuck my finger inside a frame drain hole and pulled out a literal pile of rust scale, next to where a piece of bondo had fallen off. I saw where there was overspray on the underbody with undercoating sprayed over that. I voted with my feet. They were polite cause all they have to do is wait for the next sucker.
Which car was this? There's been a few links, I'm confused as to which one you went to see, thanks

Which car was this? There's been a few links, I'm confused as to which one you went to see, thanks
Yeah, if it was THIS car:

1728374614607.png

....with this obviously unrestored underbody as shown here:

1728374667775.png

....then it would be no surprise that it was a turd.

-
Back