help needed with 904

-
I'm probably looking at the cheaper kits that don't have the steel plates. I'm certainly not finding anything local so I'll probably have to send away for it and it will be a couple days.
Call Portland Transmission Warehouse: 503-233-4966, 1016 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd., they're in your back yard. Tell them you've got a 68 904 and they'll get you the right stuff.
As Trailbeast said, get the kit with steel plates, bushings, washers, filter etc. You've got it apart now and no sense in doing a half-assed job .
When I worked in the industry, TRANSGO was the shift kit most commonly used in shops. For a stock application, the Transco (same company as Transgo), small SK-TF shift improver kit will more than suit your needs. In the forward drum look the diaphragm spring over very carefully as they are known to crack, and maybe consider replacing the overrun clutch rollers and springs (AKA the sprag), as the springs can weaken. Replacing both items cheap insurance.
It's apart: DO IT RIGHT "ONCE".

Well I must say I'm quite honored to have a YouTube transmission superhero like yourself in our presents!
My first question to you would be what would Uncle Phil say about this!? Your video quite inspired me and I've already got it well apart and making a mess period but please have no fear these are free transmission so if they end up his piles of scrap metal I know where the scrap yard is I'm an ex scrapper. The name on my car is "The SCRAPPER".
I'll likely do some kind of half-baked job trying to make it work it will bite me in the ***! (As you would put it)
And you may use me in your next videos as a prime example what not to do.
Anyways I must forge on and create my own mess here.
Please if you get a chance read a little history of the motor going in front of it and the car that it's going into. It's just a cheap fun transmission and Cheap Fun motor to play with I'm already well fortified with Stroker motor and 4-speed for myself. Anyways thank you for your response and I hope we can see a link to the finishing videos and a big huge gnarly burn off!

Those are my videos you are watching:).
Yes, so far I stopped at 16 because I put this to this to the side over the winter. I have it completely back together now other than a few odds and ends. I'll be finishing the series soon.

As a first timer, some tips:
1. Don't start tearing it apart unless you plan to totally rebuild it. There's nothing at all you can tell by splitting the valvebody or air testing it. Mine checked out ok and didn't have excess debris in the pan, and third was still burned up. Either stick it in the car and see how it works as is, or overhaul it.

2. If you overhaul it, you need a good manual such as the ATRA versions or even better, use an appropriate year FSM(Chrysler manual). You can use my videos for tips and ask here, but go by the manual first and foremost. When you ask on forums you get so many random bits of advice and opinions, that although they are well-menaing, it just confuses you.

3. You need a clean bench with good lighting. You need kids and wife out of your way. You need to plan to clean and clean and clean.
4. Any bushing that doesn't look new has to be replaced. The front pump bushing replacement can be considered mandatory and that takes a large bushing driver set which you can't get at HF. I bought a used Matco set off eBay. You need a complete kit which has steels, bushings and soft parts. I got mine from Oregon Transmission parts. You don't need whoopty-do alto clutches or kevlar or anything else on a street car. In fact, the use of such is discouraged due to their altered friction characteristics and especially since they are usually thinner to encourage people to try to fit more clutches in the clutch pack, and as a consequence they do not absorb heat well. Also, the front band should be the good original cast-iron style unless it's a much later unit. They don't make those any longer, and they are a superior piece compared to the flimsy "flex" bands they keep pushing on people these days. I won't use one of those after seeing how sloppy it was. You CAN have the cast-iron band relined. In fact, there is a place in Muscle Shoals west of here that does just bands, and they had an exchange unit on the shelf ready to go. With my core it was a whopping $5.00

5. You need to know what converter that is. I know guys keep saying to use higher-stall converters, but the converter stall speed needs to be less than whatever your cruise(60-65) speed rpm is, or otherwise the converter will be slipping some all the time and generating heat. That's often disregarded but you want a transmission to run cooler, not hotter. Plus, some 8.5:1 CR 318 with stock heads(for example) will be an unpolished turd trying to drive 2.93 gears through a loose converter. Don't follow the "bigger *****" mentality.

6. That transmission with the rust in it has been saturated by water, and I would consider it a parts transmission at this point. The case might even be corroded.

7. You can find out what year they both are down to the DAY by looking at the numbers on the driver-side pan rail. There's a letter code, then numbers that are the 10,000 day calendar date. Plug them in to a search and it tells you what day of what year it was produced. If you luck out one might be an A999 but not likely. The partial VIN's are on the passenger side bellhousing.
8. Don't experiment with homebrew throttle-valve linkages. That's the fastest way to burn up a TF. The guys that engineered those linkages knew what they were doing. Either use the factory linkage or use the LOKAR kit like I did after decided I didn't want to fund some guy's retirement for a set of correct 4bbl linkages.

Again, don't start disassembling it hoping to learn as you go without a guide. You'll have a big pile of parts left that you'll haul out to the curb. Good luck!

I can see that likely I'll change as many gaskets and seals and bushings and clutch packs as it possibly can and probably leave a lot of stuff alone and hope for the best....

I bought five cans of carb cleaner and my very first quart of of transmission fluid, the cheap stuff

Well I must say I'm quite honored to have a YouTube transmission superhero like yourself in our presents!
My first question to you would be what would Uncle Phil say about this!? Your video quite inspired me and I've already got it well apart and making a mess period but please have no fear these are free transmission so if they end up his piles of scrap metal I know where the scrap yard is I'm an ex scrapper. The name on my car is "The SCRAPPER".
I'll likely do some kind of half-baked job trying to make it work it will bite me in the ***! (As you would put it)
And you may use me in your next videos as a prime example what not to do.
Anyways I must forge on and create my own mess here.
Please if you get a chance read a little history of the motor going in front of it and the car that it's going into. It's just a cheap fun transmission and Cheap Fun motor to play with I'm already well fortified with Stroker motor and 4-speed for myself. Anyways thank you for your response and I hope we can see a link to the finishing videos and a big huge gnarly burn off!

Well thanks for the compliments. I'm not any transmission superhero. I wish you the best. I'm beginning to wonder at what point these threads start to diverge from "information" into "entertainment".

I want to ask you something: why is it that you've been presented with ample advice and information to do an EXCELLENT job, yet you seem to be intent on doing it wrong. It's not just you either. There are many examples of people that have sound advice to give, giving it, then the person being helped all but says "ok can someone tell me how to do it worse or wrong...please??"

To the other guys....I'm not scaring anybody that doesn't need to be scared. I know everyone here on the internet has excess time, motivation, energy and experience when it comes to projects.....but I've seen so many abandoned, f'ed up, sold-off, sh*t's in boxes PROJECTS over the last 25 years that I'm not about to entertain any more project fantasies. I told the guy what it's taken me to do so far as a noob, what he'll need, and I'm not going to rub anyone's shoulders about it to make them feel good, so get over it. He'll do it or he won't, he'll fail or he won't.

I bought five cans of carb cleaner and my very first quart of of transmission fluid, the cheap stuff
So you've been jerking people off for 8 pages on this? Just go on and do your thing and quit being a comedian.

I'm on it bitches!
FYI - I'm very much a hobbyist so rebuilding this transmission or messing it up is completely for my fun and entertainment and comedian is what I do, not so much fixing cars. I go out and work on the car to have fun or knowledge projects to have fun and so if it sounds like I'm joking around and having fun your getting it right. It's the only way I'll do it. Please keep in mind one more time that this is no big deal to me and is no loss if everything goes wrong. Thank you for your inspiration and help. none of this intimidates me one bit I think it's quite easy and actually funny how does intimidate people . I just don't know what I'm doing..
Anyways onward and upward....
So I took the clutch packs of apart and oddly enough it was the one/two clutch pack that was completely fried to the point that a couple of the clutches and plates I still can't get part. And a dried black crud crap
20170429_173031.jpg
20170429_173041.jpg
20170429_173106.jpg

So you've been jerking people off for 8 pages on this? Just go on and do your thing and quit being a comedian.

I'm on it bitches!
FYI - I'm very much a hobbyist so rebuilding this transmission or messing it up is completely for my fun and entertainment and comedian is what I do, not so much fixing cars. I go out and work on the car to have fun or knowledge projects to have fun and so if it sounds like I'm joking around and having fun your getting it right. It's the only way I'll do it. Please keep in mind one more time that this is no big deal to me and is no loss if everything goes wrong. Thank you for your inspiration and help. none of this intimidates me one bit I think it's quite easy and actually funny how does intimidate people . I just don't know what I'm doing..
Anyways onward and upward....
So I took the clutch packs of apart and oddly enough it was the one/two clutch pack that was completely fried to the point that a couple of the clutches and plates I still can't get part. And a dried black crud crap

:D That's not a big deal because you are replacing everything in that drum anyway.

1/2 clutch?
I didn't know TFs had those!

Maybe that's why you are so slow. :lol:

You want him to learn the correct terminology at the same time he's rebuilding his first trans?
Gees.:D

JK man, you know me.
Direct, forward, front, rear, 1/2, whatever, it's so confusing.:D

Yes, it's a new day.
Up and drinking coffee.
questions of the day? Should I pull the other one apart? Really LOL is just dirty LOL I'm up to my neck with cleaning! After that 318 build I'm getting burned out on it a little. course unknown condition also, but from the neglected condition of the motor and the sheet of gray jelly hanging off of the filter? Who knows...
Thinking out loud again: (1 or 2 grains of salt may be necessary)
What the heck did this last "speed shop" do to this thing from stock? What kind of shift kit? Good, bad, cheap, expensive, and most importantly is it worth a crap?
So, do I rob the valve body off the yucky one and will it fit ? And if not ?
could rob the 1-2 clutch packs out of yt (yucky tranny)? Clean and cross fingers? And blow the doors off some ricers with a pink $50 Craigslist 318!

Yes, it's a new day.
Up and drinking coffee.
questions of the day? Should I pull the other one apart? Really LOL is just dirty LOL I'm up to my neck with cleaning! After that 318 build I'm getting burned out on it a little. course unknown condition also, but from the neglected condition of the motor and the sheet of gray jelly hanging off of the filter? Who knows...
Thinking out loud again: (1 or 2 grains of salt may be necessary)
What the heck did this last "speed shop" do to this thing from stock? What kind of shift kit? Good, bad, cheap, expensive, and most importantly is it worth a crap?
So, do I rob the valve body off the yucky one and will it fit ? And if not ?
could rob the 1-2 clutch packs out of yt (yucky tranny)? Clean and cross fingers? And blow the doors off some ricers with a pink $50 Craigslist 318!

That burned stuff is common as can be (especially without a TP hooked up) and is still what it looks like happened.
The band is even burned, which leads me to believe it was running on low line pressure (everything was slipping)

I think you should continue on the one you have as the rebuild kit has everything needed to replace the burned up stuff except for the inner and outer most thick steel plates in the clutchpacks. (Called pressure plates)
These are the ones against the drum piston, and under the big snap rings that hold the packs in.
I should see those, and I can tell you if they can be run.
Also at some point we need to get into the valve body and see what's been modified, and then you can make the decision on swapping parts with the other trans.
Who knows, you might end up rebuilding that as well.:D

10-4

That burned stuff is common as can be (especially without a TP hooked up) and is still what it looks like happened.
The band is even burned, which leads me to believe it was running on low line pressure (everything was slipping)

I think you should continue on the one you have as the rebuild kit has everything needed to replace the burned up stuff except for the inner and outer most thick steel plates in the clutchpacks. (Called pressure plates)
These are the ones against the drum piston, and under the big snap rings that hold the packs in.
I should see those, and I can tell you if they can be run.
Also at some point we need to get into the valve body and see what's been modified, and then you can make the decision on swapping parts with the other trans.
Who knows, you might end up rebuilding that as well.:D

I just called there a few minutes ago and he said hundred and five for the complete rebuild kit including bands and everything pumps Exedra LOL- (j par? You have a guy from Canada telling you to drive a few blocks down across the street from where you had your Stroker motor built to buy your kit? LOL)
Help my Acorn was right in the backyard LOL thank you for this number and I will compare it to the one that 70aarcuda sent me. If I can just drive down there and get it right now all the better. I can just go rip that Band-Aid off!

Call Portland Transmission Warehouse: 503-233-4966, 1016 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd., they're in your back yard. Tell them you've got a 68 904 and they'll get you the right stuff.
As Trailbeast said, get the kit with steel plates, bushings, washers, filter etc. You've got it apart now and no sense in doing a half-assed job .
When I worked in the industry, TRANSGO was the shift kit most commonly used in shops. For a stock application, the Transco (same company as Transgo), small SK-TF shift improver kit will more than suit your needs. In the forward drum look the diaphragm spring over very carefully as they are known to crack, and maybe consider replacing the overrun clutch rollers and springs (AKA the sprag), as the springs can weaken. Replacing both items cheap insurance.
It's apart: DO IT RIGHT "ONCE".

I just called there a few minutes ago and he said hundred and five for the complete rebuild kit including bands and everything pumps Exedra LOL- (j par? You have a guy from Canada telling you to drive a few blocks down across the street from where you had your Stroker motor built to buy your kit? LOL)
Help my Acorn was right in the backyard LOL thank you for this number and I will compare it to the one that 70aarcuda sent me. If I can just drive down there and get it right now all the better. I can just go rip that Band-Aid off!

That's is funny.
The Internet is an amazing thing.

Okay actually serious progress was made but nothing was done LOL I got the rebuild kit and I'll post a picture here of the kit itself and maybe even a couple pictures I did take when I was there at the place getting the kit. and a comparison picture of the filters made in Vietnam versus the filter that was bought at Napa maybe a long time ago LOL so I didn't get any actual work done but this is a big step forward. had way too many life's challenges in the way today. So I think I'll begin by getting the two clutch baskets cleaned out emptied out and Resealed?
20170501_130102.jpg
20170501_130111.jpg
20170501_170902.jpg
20170501_170935.jpg
20170501_170945.jpg

I did good first summer Shakedown run in the duster yesterday. My wife and I went to go return some movies and I thought this was a pretty cool picture of the car in front of an old fashioned movie theater that hopefully will be in the neighborhood for a little while longer before it gets swallowed up by Californians pretending to be oregonians. No offense to my California brothers, hurry up before there's more bicycle lanes than car lanes. In my defense the two old homes that used to take up the four lots where I'm standing to take this picture is a massive construction zone that's going to be very expensive "she she" look I live here condos with no parking and first floor business fronts with "she she" whiskey bars and salons oh boy progress.
I guess people gotta eat too... ok rant over. :soapbox:
20170430_184143-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the trans - the easiest way to se if it has a skift kit is remove the valve body bolts. If there is a spring under the rounded section (that's the 2nd gear accumulator) it's probably stock. The various kits acheive results in different ways, but pretty much all of them pull the accumulator spring. Some replcae it with a rod, some just leave it out. The fluid looks burnt in it. Not sure if that's from the issue you had with reverse. Also the pressure regulator spring is not always changed - but they all adjust the pressure by screwing in the allen bolt that moves the preload plate on the pressure valve.

BTW - most of the engine guys I'm aware of don't know that much about transmissions. I built my first transmission a year after my first engine but I've done probably 30-40 over the years. I don't consider myself a guru on them. I can make them work but there are others much better at it than I. Some (like me) don't go to other areas of the board a lot so sometimes a PM helps.

10-4 thank you
Looking at the trans - the easiest way to se if it has a skift kit is remove the valve body bolts. If there is a spring under the rounded section (that's the 2nd gear accumulator) it's probably stock. The various kits acheive results in different ways, but pretty much all of them pull the accumulator spring. Some replcae it with a rod, some just leave it out. The fluid looks burnt in it. Not sure if that's from the issue you had with reverse. Also the pressure regulator spring is not always changed - but they all adjust the pressure by screwing in the allen bolt that moves the preload plate on the pressure valve.

BTW - most of the engine guys I'm aware of don't know that much about transmissions. I built my first transmission a year after my first engine but I've done probably 30-40 over the years. I don't consider myself a guru on them. I can make them work but there are others much better at it than I. Some (like me) don't go to other areas of the board a lot so sometimes a PM helps.

-
Back