help with vin #

-
VIN decoder section is a tool next to member classifieds at the top...good place to start... depending on exactly what you're looking for as Bad Sport asked.

I tried that and it says the vin # is too short. I have 12 numbers and it says it needs to be 14. I have a copy of the title so I know it is right. so whats the deal back in 69.

I tried that and it says the vin # is too short. I have 12 numbers and it says it needs to be 14. I have a copy of the title so I know it is right. so whats the deal back in 69.

Pretty sure it should be 13 characters in '69. Title probably has a typo, pretty common on old cars.
Dallas

it looks like the 7th digit should be a letter and it is missing on the vin. That tells which plant the car was made. There is no letter on the 7th digit. Don't know if that is going to be a problem yet.

Here is a 1969 Valiant VIN VL21B9E148448

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Plymouth-Valiant-100-Slant-6-2-Door-Sedan-3-Speed-Column-Shift-/321515771368?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&forcerrptr=true&hash=item4adbd555e8&item=321515771368&nma=true&si=jOCCCIUwfkFEiGcxmKIgr0QN0Bs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Plymouth-Valiant-100-Slant-6-2-Door-Sedan-3-Speed-Column-Shift-/321515771368?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&forcerrptr=true&hash=item4adbd555e8&item=321515771368&nma=true&si=jOCCCIUwfkFEiGcxmKIgr0QN0Bs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/ame]

yep, a letter after the 9 on that vin # but not on this one. he said he will check this in the morning and send me a pic of the vin tag on the dash. as long as it matches, it may be a typo

yep, a letter after the 9 on that vin # but not on this one. he said he will check this in the morning and send me a pic of the vin tag on the dash. as long as it matches, it may be a typo

I was the 'check in' guy at a car auction starting in the mid '70s. I can recall seeing some cars that actually had a digit missing from the vin plate. Quality control at it's best lol.
It didn't happen often, but it happened. Most likely a typo in this instance, though.
Dallas

well I hope the tag matches the title. This was a Georgia car for the longest time. little old man owned it. he died and then the car was passed to his son. he died. This was in Georgia. Then somehow a man in Michigan found this car who was a mechanic and he bought the car for his girlfriend who had learned to first drive in one of these cars so he bought I for her. He went through the car and did several thousand dollars worth of work on the car and she left him. He had spent $600.00 to have the car brought up from Ga. he sold the car to the owner now and this guy bought the car for his wife and it was titled to him back in June of 2014. They just had a baby 6 days ago and plans changed so he is selling it now. If that title doesn't match the vin tag, how did Michigan accept the car out of state when they checked it and issued a Michigan title on it. Ifit doesn't match, someone down the line screwed up. How does one go about getting it fixed. Does he do it in Michigan, or do I have the title transferred and have the title researched in Ky and have it fixed. I know the title and vin tag will be checked by the Sheriff's office in Ky. here before they will issue a title in Ky. I have never ran into this before. has anyone else. Thanks,Bill

You could ask him to call the State Police here, before you come up, and ask for a VIN check.

They will come out, run the VIN and check to see that it isn't stolen. You could then take that paperwork along with the title home to KY and hand it to the Sheriff when they do the check there.

It may be prudent for you to call YOUR local Sheriff's Dept. before you drive up here and ask them what kind of issue it may be.

The problem may have been from Ga. if it had a title when it came up here. It could also be the mistake was made here when he transferred OR applied for the title here.

It seems to me that someone from Ga. once said they don't issue titles for cars of a certain age. Maybe PM Rob (RRR) and ask him.

If that's the case then Michigan may have made a mistake when they issued one. where else on this 69 would a complete vin # be. core support, fender tag. where else would the 7 th digit be on that car. Bruce, since you live in Michigan, could you get me a number of someone in DMV I could call to see what to do about this IF this doesn't match. does Michigan physically check cars coming in the state to see if vin #'s match. also If I buy this car and he signs the title over to me and I have a paper from Ky. we need to get notorized for the application for title along with a bill of sale, I should be good to go shouldn't I. at least I will prove I am the new owner and then I could work on the mistake down here on the title. what do ya think. There may not be a problem here. He is going to send me a pic of the dash tag today. It may match. Ga. may not have issued a title and Mich. could have issued a title from a Bill of sale. I will see later today.

Bill, I don't know about there but, having a VIN corrected here when the mistake was made in another state is next to impossible. The last guy that I know that got in that trap took a lawyer and a court order to get it fixed. It cost him around two thousand dollars before it was over. If the mistake was made in my state then they have to go back to search the original documents and if they are found to be right, they will correct it.

If that's the case then Michigan may have made a mistake when they issued one. where else on this 69 would a complete vin # be. core support, fender tag. where else would the 7 th digit be on that car.

Not 100% sure, rad support, under the package tray maybe?

Bruce, since you live in Michigan, could you get me a number of someone in DMV I could call to see what to do about this

• Department of State Information Center toll-free number: (888 SOS-MICH; (888 767-6424; Staffed Monday through Friday 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

IF this doesn't match. does Michigan physically check cars coming in the state to see if vin #'s match.

No, when I drug mine home from Indiana they just transferred the title. Like I said, I don't "think" Ga would have had one.

EDIT: They may with just a Bill of Sale, I dunno.

also If I buy this car and he signs the title over to me and I have a paper from Ky. we need to get notarized for the application for title along with a bill of sale, I should be good to go shouldn't I. at least I will prove I am the new owner and then I could work on the mistake down here on the title. what do ya think.

Like I suggested, call your DMV and ask.

There may not be a problem here. He is going to send me a pic of the dash tag today. It may match. Ga. may not have issued a title and Mich. could have issued a title from a Bill of sale. I will see later today.

I'll bet dollars to donuts the bill of sale, if it had the VIN on it could have been written down wrong OR they just missed it at the SOS office when he applied for the title. Not uncommon for that to happen.

They have my car listed as a 4 door on the title, that's how it was listed on the Indiana title. I haven't had it changed yet.

I have to either take the car to the SOS office so they can come out and look at it, or have the State Popo come out and verify it.

well I am going to get a bill of sale and have it notorized. going to have the title notorized. going to notorize his *** and anything else I can get but that car is coming to Ky. next weekend. I don't think there will be too much of a problem with just one number being off on it. one of my best friends is a P.I. and retired from the shefiff's office and I am getting him to run the numbers for me. I also know the local sheriff here so I don't think there will be a problem. I just hope the title and vin tag matches.

can anybody tell me where the vin # is on a 1969 Valiant other than the vin tag on the dash. I am running into a problem on this one I am buying and the title is missing the 7th digit as a letter. after the number 9 should be a letter telling the plant it was made in and it is missing on the title. May be a typo. not sure yet. but can anyone tell me where on this car the 7th digit can be found so it can be checked and corrected. core support, package tray, any place. I need to verify this. Thanks,Bill

Yeah, I wouldn't shy away from the car, but making sure everything is correct will save some headaches down the line I'm sure.

It may be a good idea to have a Troop come out and do a VIN inspection. That is something he could do before you come up. IF he isn't willing to, that might be a huge red flag.

It doesn't hurt to ask. That way you would have that documentation as well when you haul it home.

-
Back