help

-

Young Gun Smith

Reaction score
well i have two questions for ya'll

1. my spedo was geting stuck at 40 so i took it out and re greased it then put it back in, took it out did the same thing. i thought i didnt get it in all the way so i tryed it again and same thing, so my question is what do u think that the problem is?

2. my defoster vents are cracked and broken and i bought some new ones and is there any way to put them on with out taken the entire dash off? if there is can u explain it to me please.

thanks,
mickey

1. sounds like the needle is binding up. Probably have to take the whole thing apart to see whats going on in there. Does the odometer still register mileage while the car is moving? There is really no direct drive for the cable to the needle, it's a couple of magnetic fingers that spin around a "bell" that the needle is connected to.

2. When you have the gauge cluster out you'll be able to see the vent tube on the drivers side and with the glove box liner out you can get to the passenger side... or you can cut up your arms trying to squiggle your way up to them from the underside...who am I kidding... you'll still get cut up going thru the front of the dash too :)

I managed to do the vents in my 72 Duster by laying on the seat and reaching up under the dash. It was an absolute pain, I could barely reach them and get a screwdriver in there, but it is possible. You just have to get the ducts off first, hopefully without tearing them.

player1up, yes i do belive the odomater still is working i really havent looked at it but when i drive it next time i will, if it doesnt move then what do u think it could be? but if it does move i will have to take it apart and look at the magnets?

xander18, ok thanks i will give that a go when i get some spare time.

Just took vents out of my 68 cuda, dont know if its same as your or not, but I would suggest 1/4" drive ratchet and about 3 extensions...and a knuckle. My vents had 3 nuts on each. Hope it helps.....oh ya before you do that book yourself in for a rub'n'tug. You'll need a "massage" from layin on your back!!

Mickey, I've got an old speedo in a box ( damaged ) that I can look at when I get home, I'll snap a pic or two and see if there is a probable binding point.

Mickey, I've got an old speedo in a box ( damaged ) that I can look at when I get home, I'll snap a pic or two and see if there is a probable binding point.

thanks alot!:cheers:

Ok so here are the pics of the speedo.

The first pic shows possible bind points ( Red Arrows ) and direction of finger rotation ( yellow arrows ) Not really much in there except for the spring (top arrow) and the needle stop tab ( bottom arrow ) but if the needle was removed and re-attached, it might have the stop tab in the wrong place. While taking the pics, I tried to get the needle to "stick" but only succeeded when the magnets picked up some metal chaff from the top of the trash can.... but in a 30 something year old car it could be rust getting stuck in there... Hope this helps

speedo_bind points (Small).JPG

and yes the mileage will continue to register even if the needle is stuck. The reason for this is that the drive gears for the odometer are before and separate from the needle magnet drive system. Drive gears run right off the input ( green arrows

drive_gears.jpg

Also, In this picture you can see the "tamper indicator". It's a little spring that, if you try to roll back the numbers, turns down against the number drum and scrapes the drum....cool little thing to keep us from getting a "low mileage" fake
tamper_tag (Small).JPG

Here is another look at the tag (yellow box ) and the damage to the number drum ( yellow arrow ).......I knew there was something funny about this speedo IMMEDIATELY when I saw that all of the numbers were the same across the dial....strange indeed...
damage.jpg

speedo_bind points (Small).JPG

tamper_tag (Small).JPG

drive_gears.jpg

damage.jpg

I've never had any luck in repairing a speedometer.
I remove bezel and heat controller and reach through that opening to replace defrost vents. I can work sitting up much easier than standing on my head.
PLease not that those vents are left and right hand. Another member here bought new ones and screwed them up trying to force fit them in the wrong position.

player1up, wow thanks alot! and btw i went to ur cardomain and u did some good work! :cheers:

redfish, thanks for the info i will try that when i get some time thanks!

-
Back