Here you go, Piston area and force.

-
I’m going to go way out on a limb here and guess that this thread isn’t going to change anyone’s mind.

In that regard it’s much like threads about motor oil or spark plugs.
Any analysis is only as good as the flawed assumptions that underpin them

Harrison,
Your ignorance is showing. There is no 'explosion' in a properly designed IC engine. The mixture burns at at a controlled rate...

Sometimes, in fact most of the time, a word will be used that is accepted and understood which is not technically accurate.
For example, 12 Volt is accepted as an approximation for system voltage even though in reality the system runs between 14 and 14.8 Volts 99+% of the time. Likewise the connections to the power supply is often marked B, Bat, or Batt for 'battery', even though the system power doesn't usually come from the battery.
If you are someone like Paul Harrell with the skill, patience, and situation to explain something like that as part of the discourse, wonderful. That heads off the "Actually" comments.
So while your observation is more or less technically correct, all your post really does is reinforce Harrison's main point.

Last edited:
Mattax,

I have had no interaction with 'harrisonm' in this thread or any other thread that I can think of. In post #96 he chose a personal attack on me. That is fine, I am a big boy. But when you do that, expect a return serve......which is what I did.
What post #96 showed is his lack of knowledge as to the combustion chamber event. You can dress it up but it is still lipstick on a pig.......Of course, not only did he get that wrong, he got the 'force on the piston' wrong. At least he is not alone there........

That's like your opinion man :)

Maybe were looking from the same from you.

It's not instance hp cause your not factoring in stroke or displacement depending on the eg..

This formula has nothing really to do with what were talking about lol.
Piston area × PSI in the cyl = pounds force on the piston, which is almost directly transferred to the con rod.
Now in that, any one cyl block can only be poked so far. Also, is this question limited to boring, or comparing the torque developed between two engines of equal displacement? Are the cylinders in question being supplied through the same size ports and valves, or larger valves that the larger piston allows before cyl wall shrouding?

Sometimes, in fact most of the time, a word will be used that is accepted and understood which is not technically accurate.
For example, 12 Volt is accepted as an approximation for system voltage even though in reality the system runs between 14 and 14.8 Volts 99+% of the time. Likewise the connections to the power supply is often marked B, Bat, or Batt for 'battery', even though the system power doesn't usually come from the battery.
If you are someone like Paul Harrell with the skill, patience, and situation to explain something like that as part of the discourse, wonderful. That heads off the "Actually" comments.
So while your observation is more or less technically correct, all your post really does is reinforce Harrison's main point.
Sounds like a Paul Harvey Sr moment, "And now for the rest of the story".

Piston area × PSI in the cyl = pounds force on the piston
Correct, which buddy doesn't get.
, which is almost directly transferred to the con rod.
Now in that, any one cyl block can only be poked so far. Also, is this question limited to boring,
or comparing the torque developed between two engines of equal displacement? Are the cylinders in question being supplied through the same size ports and valves, or larger valves that the larger piston allows before cyl wall shrouding?
Not necessarily talking overboring, generally like how mopar mainly changes displacement by bore.

But what this is really about say a 318 bored and stroked 390 and just overbore a 383 to 390, the general wisdom would be the 318/390 4" would produce more torque cause of the longer stroke ignoring the fact that the larger bore of the 383/390 can produce more force to the piston ideally allowing both these engines to produce the same torque.

Obviously engines are complex devices there lots of variables so it obviously depends on the combos of the different engines of same displacement engines were comparing. For this wrong there would have to be a good reason the larger bore would be generally down in cylinder pressure especially by the same ratio of difference as the difference in piston area, need a little more proof than a garden hose on a turd or a coin in playdough etc..

Just like any NA engines ability to be efficient eg.. Lbs/ft per cid, bmep, 1000-1900 psi however you want to measure it. Since engines of all sizes and bore and stroke is able to reach most of these efficiencies ($$$$$) there would have to be a good reason a larger bore with a shorter stroke couldn't especially when the highest efficient race engines generally use them.

Well I think I found the answer even though a larger piston has more piston area 4.03" vs 4.25", area =19.8671"sq vs 20.9517"sq.

A larger cylinder bore has less surface area for a give displacement, 408 LA (4.03" x 4") vs 408 B (4.25" x 3.596") 50.6168"sq vs 47.9886"sq

408 LA. 4.03" x 4.00", (2 x 19.8671) + 50.6168 = 90.351"sq total square inch of surface area.
408 B 4.25" x 3.596", (2 x 20.9517) + 47.9886 = 89.892"sq total square inch of surface area.

Practically the same. So should be no reason the 408 B can't have same cylinder pressure as 408 la they basically have the same total surface just the larger bore has more surface area on the part that actually moves (piston).

Well I think I found the answer even though a larger piston has more piston area 4.03" vs 4.25", area =19.8671"sq vs 20.9517"sq.

A larger cylinder bore has less surface area for a give displacement, 408 LA (4.03" x 4") vs 408 B (4.25" x 3.596") 50.6168"sq vs 47.9886"sq

408 LA. 4.03" x 4.00", (2 x 19.8671) + 50.6168 = 90.351"sq total square inch of surface area.
408 B 4.25" x 3.596", (2 x 20.9517) + 47.9886 = 89.892"sq total square inch of surface area.

Practically the same. So should be no reason the 408 B can't have same cylinder pressure as 408 la they basically have the same total surface just the larger bore has more surface area on the part that actually moves (piston).
Cylinder surface area does not have a lot of effect on force on the connecting rod. It is well accepted that part of rotary engines poor fuel economy is the large surface area exposed to the combustion. So apparently the small bore, long stroke engine may suffer poor combustion and power extraction efficiency in addition to higher friction.

More piston area does not automatically mean more force on the rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If more air air is drawn into the cyl as a result of an increase in piston area, then more air is compressed & more force is applied to the piston. If more air was drawn in as a result of a longer stroke, then the same force is applied to the crank whether the piston area was small or large. The small piston will have greater loading [ more lbs/ per sq in ].
More piston area only increases 'push' on the conrod if a secondary event such as ingesting more air occurs that increases the 'push' medium, the medium in this case being more force generated by the expanding hot burning mixture.

Here is yet another example: the claim is that increased piston area will create more 'push' on the con rod. The force on the piston is transmitted to the crank via the conrod & through the piston pin to the rod. Using the same 'logic', if I double the pin/rod contact area, the rod will 'push' harder on the crank!!

More piston area does not automatically mean more force on the rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If more air air is drawn into the cyl as a result of an increase in piston area, then more air is compressed & more force is applied to the piston. If more air was drawn in as a result of a longer stroke, then the same force is applied to the crank whether the piston area was small or large. The small piston will have greater loading [ more lbs/ per sq in ].
More piston area only increases 'push' on the conrod if a secondary event such as ingesting more air occurs that increases the 'push' medium, the medium in this case being more force generated by the expanding hot burning mixture.

Here is yet another example: the claim is that increased piston area will create more 'push' on the con rod. The force on the piston is transmitted to the crank via the conrod & through the piston pin to the rod. Using the same 'logic', if I double the pin/rod contact area, the rod will 'push' harder on the crank!!

IMG_1034.jpeg

For one really were talking an average psi through out the power stroke, it's not a static amount it's forever changing evolving. Your assumption is the 383 B will have less overall average psi over a 383 RB or 408 B vs 408 LA etc.., you have offered zero proof for your position.

The overall surface area for both is basically the same at bdc and at tdc the larger bores full chamber, head gasket, cylinder wall, piston area etc.. Does have more surface area but for a small fraction of the power stroke. The larger piston has less bore surface area (cylinder wall) in the exact opposite percentage ratio. The smaller bore has a longer stroke so the piston moves away from tdc faster at same rpm to cover a greater distance which doesn't take far down the bore for the smaller piston to have more total area but even though the smaller bore will have more total area the larger piston will have more percentage of area for the part that the psi actually moves the piston.

1. Were talking average psi.

2. The larger bore has more surface area only at tdc, shortly after the smaller bore has more surface area and for a greater percentage of the power stroke (the rest of the power stroke) .

3. With the larger bores overall total surface area a higher percentage is the piston area compared to the smaller bore, the part the actually applies force to the crank to be multiplied.

You got to prove that the larger bore for some reason can't have more average psi applied to the piston.
Just assuming and implying it doesn't make so.

Last edited:

Now you are shifting the goal posts, introducing more red herrings.
What started this discussion was your claim that a larger piston area creates more downward force, increases hp. That only happens if the area increase produces the secondary event of drawing more air into the cyl. Unless additional air is drawn into the cyl, then a bigger piston area adds nothing.

Now you are shifting the goal posts, introducing more red herrings.
I am not shifting the goal post you seem to take issues that there would be similar psi capabilities so I'm trying to answer you.
What started this discussion was your claim that a larger piston area creates more downward force, increases hp.
I don't how many times I have to tell you I've never said more hp, I've stated from the beginning a larger piston will have more force for a given psi, that's what I claim now and that's what I claimed in the beginning and when it comes same displacements the larger piston greater force should average out the longer stroke multiplication of that force. Aka similar torque.
That only happens if the area increase produces the secondary event of drawing more air into the cyl. Unless additional air is drawn into the cyl, then a bigger piston area adds nothing.
Proof ? Since both cylinders have the same volume (same fuel and air potential), shouldn't they have the same torque potential ?

You tell me why the larger bore and shorter stroke in a 383 B, 408 B vs 383 RB, 408 LA etc.. Can't have similar average psi applied to the piston for more average force to be multiplied less by a shorter stroke for similar torque as the smaller bore and longer stroke engines of same displacement?

Just cause you say so or don't make sense to you ain't proof.

Last edited:
-
Back