highway cruising with 4.10 gears

-
Ditto. 4.10's behind a 833 behind an 11-1 - solid cam, aluminum headed 360 w/a 750 carb.
255/60/15's. 3300 - 3500 Hwy. RPM for as long as it takes. Been doing it for years.
I try and keep it below 3500. No need for extra stress on the engine. I'll get there when I get there.

I had a 3.91 all i can say is 1300ml in 3 days is a bloody long way 3.23 now lot nicer on the highway and wallet.

It also starts to hurt your head after a while.

I really wouldn't want to do any highway driving with 4:10's

I'm running 4:30 on 29" tall tires and it sure ain't a fun trip ! You will find every vibration,buzzing panel and strange noise after about 5 miles.... and it goes down hill from there

I'm running 4:10 with 29.5 MT ET streets. RPMs are 28 to 3000 at 55 to 60 mph. That's why I ran the exhaust out from under the car. Big difference

It also starts to hurt your head after a while.

I really wouldn't want to do any highway driving with 4:10's

I love highway driving at 70 mph with my 340 4-speed and 4.10's....i let her buck for an hour and a half at times :glasses7:

I don't care if it's slower block to block because if I'm turning 3000 R's I better be doing 80-85 :D

I've done it, 80 miles one way to the track, race it and drive home through NYC traffic. It's not a huge deal but just know it's not like driving a 'regular' car. I am around 3,200 rpm at 55 mph. To compound things, I have a manual valve body in my Duster, I need to pay attention to shifting more than normal, particularly in traffic.

I also concur with the guy who mentioned the noise factor. The continuous drone of 40 series Flowmasters at 3K can get annoying. But hey, it's a hot rod, it's supposed to be loud.

Ditto. 4.10's behind a 833 behind an 11-1 - solid cam, aluminum headed 360 w/a 750 carb.
255/60/15's. 3300 - 3500 Hwy. RPM for as long as it takes. Been doing it for years.
I try and keep it below 3500. No need for extra stress on the engine. I'll get there when I get there.

I drove my Duster to a cruise night about 60 miles away years ago (when I still had the 11-1 340 & the 4.10s) and on the way back we did about 85 mph the whole way- so about 4500 rpm steady. No problem:D

I had 4:10's in my 727 equipped 440 Dart. Absolutely useless!! Put in a set of 3:23's last year. Best move I ever made, next to ditching my ex girlfriend!!

If the car is going to see a lot of highway driving or even a few trips a month if would go down to a 3:55. That's a good medium for me.

Im running 3:73's with a 28.5" tall tire and I turn around 3000 at 60 mph. Im eventually dropping down to 3:23's. I dont like that I can only drive about 100 miles and feel like I need to look for a gas station.

i have a 2001 dakota V6 3.9. auto trans came with 3.55 gears. in town i was getting 8-9 MPG. OK i drive hard get over it. i was tired of low power so i put 4.1 gear and trak-lok. MPG went to 11-12 MPG. how? the O.D. trans will now go into O.D. at 30 MPH. at 1200 RPM. it seams to be the perfect gear for driving under 40-50 MPH.

Nope, besides being annoying; they did it all the time before overdrive. Just keep good oil in it and roll. Good to see you've got it together!

I love highway driving at 70 mph with my 340 4-speed and 4.10's....i let her buck for an hour and a half at times :glasses7:

You're an animal Keith! (and 340's are really tough) LOL

My car had 4.10's when I bought it and I ran them for about a year until my ears (and wallet) couldn't take any more. Swapped in a set of 3.55's and love them. With the torque of the 408 I have in it now it's a lot quicker than it was with the old 360 and 4.10's... Your running a big block aren't you? The height of your rear tires can also make a significant difference in hwy RPM. Another thing to consider is when you spin your engine harder you wear it out quicker. If it's just a weekend driver it'll last a long time with 4.10's but if it's a daily driver it's a different story.

How about an overdrive transmission? 4.10 gear with a 70% OD is like a 2.87 gear. That would be the best of both worlds.

I also concur with the guy who mentioned the noise factor. The continuous drone of 40 series Flowmasters at 3K can get annoying. But hey, it's a hot rod, it's supposed to be loud.

I had a Flowmaster on my Ram when purchased. I admit it sounded great. For the short trips around the area it was fine. After I towed the boat to Tablerock Lake and back I had enough of the continual drone and it had to go.
I found this Dynomax VT and decided to try it. 6 months and so far I'm totally pleased with it. I can actually hold a conversation with others without having to yell at cruise speed. No headaches from the continual drone. If I nail it the muffler sounds off for you. We'll see how long the moving parts last!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/dynomax-vt-mufflers?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=dynomax%20v&sw=Dynomax%20VT%20Mufflers

How about an overdrive transmission? 4.10 gear with a 70% OD is like a 2.87 gear. That would be the best of both worlds.

I put a 2004R in my Barracuda and it made a big difference. I'm running 3.90 gears and the best part of all is that the noise level at 65/70 MPH has greatly decreased. Actually I can't hear the exhaust at all. 2300 RPM on the highway should let the motor last a lot longer as well. Oh yea...the gas mileage is great and the car is quicker off the line!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01665.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC02003.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC03151.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC03136.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC03203.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC03228.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 282
I just installed those mufflers on my Magnum. Glad to read what you wrote. The car has 3.55's on 26 inch tires.
I do like the 3.21-3.23 for Hwy. driving. The 3.55's are also OK.
My beast with 4.10's doesn't see extended Hwy. runs. (Over two hours)
That could be annoying! LMAO! The car is also designed for stop light stompings. So I can live with it since it doesn't go far. The two hour run to the track is seldom and easy to live with.

Isn't there a thread on that tran's swap here?

-
Back