Hood scoop to big?

-
Can everyone please step back and remember everyone has different tastes and the OP asked how to install the Hemi scoop, not should he.
The title of the thread suggested that he wanted some input as well "Hood scoop too big?".....Or at least that's the way I read it.

Interesting to bring in aerodynamics of a particular hood scoop design on a car that is otherwise shaped like a brick LOL. Remember, the very next year after the 1968 Hemi scoop was the introduction of the Dodge Daytona Charger because the grill was catching too much air in Nascar lol. I agree that Mopar did all the R&D to set up these cars to do any type of racing available back in the day, and is invaluable. But for this application looks are more important than speed and it isn’t stealing that much horsepower thru the air to hurt the seat of the pants dyno in my Duster, so it’s perfectly fine. Can everyone please step back and remember everyone has different tastes and the OP asked how to install the Hemi scoop, not should he. His decision to use the scoop was made, now he wants it to function and not fly off. And last I checked Mopar had and installation guide for that too.
Just because his car and most cars of that era are shaped like a brick doesn’t mean it can’t be made worse and that scoop will.

It’s kind of like rubbing salt in a wound after you already rubbed dirt in it, just my opinion.

And that’s what he is looking for, opinions.

The title of the thread suggested that he wanted some input as well "Hood scoop too big?".....Or at least that's the way I read it.
Yes, that’s what I was asking. Is it too big? Is it going to hurt my performance is what I was getting at. If it does not make that much of a difference and I won’t have to be tuning my carburetor to get it to run right then I’ll run it.

That scoop will do ZERO for power. It also won't cost any power.

I don't know how Chrylser figured that scoop was a drag. That thing is too low and too far back to catch any air.

WJ was promoting the "mail box" nonsense while he was whining for EFI. He was wrong about the scoops.

When correctly sized and placed, the scoop is a net power gain. You lose some from drag but you gain from cool, fresh, pressurized air.

Almost every 60's and 70's scoops I've seen, hell even the stuff in the 80's is too small and too low with an opening that's too big.

If you like the looks then use it. As far as performance goes, there is little benefit to a scoop like those.

To the op.. I have always bought a second hood or part to do modifications to so if all goes wrong....
In this case I'd buy a fiberglass hood to pin on and put scoop on and tall air cleaner...
Attach the 4 pins with bolts (don't weld on..).
Paint both hoods and you have the best of both worlds...:thumbsup:
Change in an hour...

No such thing as too big a hood scoop.
Screenshot_20240921_094611_Google.jpg

:lol:

Ok, the long awaited hood scoop install photos. The scoop itself is centered left to right on the hood, while the 18.5” hole in the hood is offset like the engine. The center of the hole measure out to be the center of the air cleaner stud. Any gaps are from the prior installer cutting the scoop lip off uneven, I opted not to fix that, but used rubber edge molding on it.

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

I'd place two more bolts evenly spaced from center on either side.
View attachment 1716306198
I appreciate the input and I had seen that as the more proper install but prior to this picture the center bolt had no sleeve and therefore the scoop was flexing down and cracked. I sleeved the center bolt and firmed up the install. I checked for flex after and found no issues so opted to run it as improved. The scoop and car is not a pristine example so if more damage occurs I will just fix it.

I appreciate the input and I had seen that as the more proper install but prior to this picture the center bolt had no sleeve and therefore the scoop was flexing down and cracked. I sleeved the center bolt and firmed up the install. I checked for flex after and found no issues so opted to run it as improved. The scoop and car is not a pristine example so if more damage occurs I will just fix it.
No worries. I hope you checked for flex at speed. That will break apart. Good luck.

No worries. I hope you checked for flex at speed. That will break apart. Good luck.
It was checked at speed before repairs and sleeving the center bolt and after all that was completed and it did not break apart before or after. And if you end up being right later, whatever… the scoop owes me nothing and it would be opportunity to change things up, but I am sure it will be just fine.

-
Back