hooker aerochamber's anyone?

-

73dodge

Reaction score
i'm thinking of going with hooker aerochambers for my 408 stroker, does anybody have sound clips? Has anyone used these?

Ive used them and they are my favorite muffler,the exhaust shop guy said they sound like a cross between a glasspack and a turbo muffler.They have a very deep sound but get raspy when revved,mine were 3 in. dumped before the axle and still the resonance was decent for idle and driving-sorry but I dont have a sound clip.

I have them currently on my '79 Magnum. The engine is a '78, 400 with headman eliete headers w/2-1/2 inch pipe, "H" piped, pipes run to the bumper.

I don't have a sound clip, but I could in a day or so if your interested in hearing this low comp engines rumble. They do have a different sound than most other mufflers. And like said above, there preety decent on the noise level on the inside.

Rumble, please post a sound clip buddy! I have researched these mufflers a bit and I am very interested in how they sound. Also, what is your impression of the build quality? Just consider the sound clip a Christmas gift to your old buddy Ramcharger! lol! Be sure to rev it up a bit too. :yawinkle:

Ha ha ha, OK will do.

Build qaulity, I'll break out the camera and stuff it underneath the car so you can see. There heavy, could probably knock someone out with ease and there case dosen't bend/bow if you step on them. Very thick and solid part. I also had Hookers Maxflow mufflers. Built with the same tuff casing.

They sound good at a higher RPM, at idle and low RPM, I think they sound alittle weird, but OK.
Inside the cabin, I can talk with ease and listen to the stero at the same time.

use them with short 3" pipes from header to muffler inlet, then short turn downs exiting the muffler. Sound great, I have recieved compliments about the sound while at the track.

Bob

Hang tight with me fellas, it's been a crazy week full of double duty tours after Christmas. AND, what was I thinking saying I'd put it up tomorrow, which was Christmas day? I don't know?

Hang on, I didn't forget.

I run 3" ers on my dart and they sound wicked. but I'm runnung a .638 roller
and 12.5 compression , so I can't speak for your set up. All I can say is that my Dart turns lots of heads when it drives by.

To 73 Dodge and my buddy Ramcharger whom asked for a rev or 2, sorry about the delay. SO! After a completely to long of a wait, here it is, Headman Eltie headers w/ H pipe @ 2-1/2 inch exhaust to the back w/Hooker Aero Chambers. A quick wlak around the car.
A '79 Dodge Magnum w/a '78 low comp. 400 cid engine.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3OTEn5mrCs

Again with Hooker headers and a Jegs exhaust (Pipes and Mufflers) to the rear bumper. The engine is a stock '79 - 318 (From the Dodge) with a min. of 400,000 miles, small Crane, LD4B and 1850 Holley. (Basic bolt on's and a cam.) Low compresion engine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pOYMlTTecTU

Hey Rumble!

Thanks so much for the sound clip. They sound really good to me, or do you just have that 400 spot on! When the times comes, the Hookers are going on the Duster and maybe the Ramcharger too.

Ummmm, the 400 could use a little attention to the state of tune. It's not to bad now, but I have not put a 02 sensor on it to find out exactly where it stands.
The 318 Duster has the 1850 Holley on top. I picked up a kit to swap out the metering plate to a 4150 style metering block. I jetted down the OOTB primary jets to a 66 I think, I forgot to honest.

I picked the carb up here and it ran very rich. So into my jet box to find a smaller jet. Didn't happen. So I ordered 3 smaller jets than the smallest I tried and had.

Weird how it seemed to blow alot of white smoke out back. No head gasket leaks or anything. It just sits alot.I put my hand in front of the exhaust and it coated my hand in water and rust. That car needs attention to it's tune. Spring time for that and floor boards.

Considering the time of year and your location, I would expect some white smoke from condensation from both cars. Also, residual fuel in the exhaust will burn white too. The smoke seems to dissipate quite quickly which I'm thinking may point to condensation.

I think you just need an to do an "Italian tune up" on the Duster to blow the crap out of the exhaust and loosen the rings up a bit, then see if you still got smoke. A little black smoke isn't necessarilily a bad thing without a load on it. That black smoke will sometimes dissapear on the highway under load. Also, judging by the idle of the 318, I would say you have a decent size cam in the 224 to 228 duration at .050 lift range. The overlap will spit some fuel in the exhaust at idle anyway. Those Jegs mufflers make the 318 sound wicked too, but I'm partial to the Hookers since they sound a bit deeper and a little quieter.

Are you running cast or forged pistons in the 318? Forged will burn a little oil when started as they run looser and need to expand.

Thanks again,

Joe

Those clips sound great. I'm sold on the aerochambers too. I've been looking for a nice sounding replacement. Thanks for sharing!

That 318 (Shown in this thread; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20) is actually from that Dodge Magnum. It is a 1979 318 with writin records that stopped @ over 350,000 miles. (I can't find the paper booklet he kept, just looked, but) that he kept recorded until 1989 when he then gave the car to his daughter for 4 years of collage about 4 hours away. Home every weekend for cloths etc....

And then to his son for the same thing and time frame.
He then used it as a daily driver on a 100 mile round trip from Babylon L.I. to Jamaica Queens where he is a Fireman for years until he, the 1st and only real owner of the car sold it to me.
He picked it up new off the showroom floor dressed in GT stripes. You can still see'em inside the door.

Dartman, no problem. I have to say the clip is OK and the sound is OK for me. I think it is a little lite, a slight tiny, not throaty enuff. But it is quiter inside than anything else I have used so far. I am surprised by that. But the shell of the muffler is really something else. The muffler is heavy and very solid.

I also had the Hooker Max Flow mufflers. There also built the same way. There sound is near identical to the Dyno Max, Max Flo mufflers since there both built with the same design idea and use the same packing material for sound deadining.

I do get good comploments on sound. I do prefur a more beefier throaty sound. Deep rumble. Something that helps promotes fear and water down the leg.

OH, the cars were a little cold. The Duster was. It ran a bit ruff at a mid pedal position. I did a quick 5 min. warm up and came back a bit later so at least they did start up instantly and was able to rev up without issue in todays chill.

That 318 (Shown in this thread; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20) is actually from that Dodge Magnum. It is a 1979 318 with writin records that stopped @ over 350,000 miles. (I can't find the paper booklet he kept, just looked, but) that he kept recorded until 1989 when he then gave the car to his daughter for 4 years of collage about 4 hours away. Home every weekend for cloths etc....

And then to his son for the same thing and time frame.
He then used it as a daily driver on a 100 mile round trip from Babylon L.I. to Jamaica Queens where he is a Fireman for years until he, the 1st and only real owner of the car sold it to me.
He picked it up new off the showroom floor dressed in GT stripes. You can still see'em inside the door.

Must be nice to know the history of your car. I have no freakin' idea where my Ramcharger has been other than it was bought by the last owner here in Colorado about 5 years ago and I found a bunch of beer bottles in the bedside body panels and a pack of firecrackers in the glovebox. The guy I bought it from looked like he was in ZZ Top only not dressed as well, lol! That, and the fact that it had lived a very, very rough life.

I have no Idea where my Dusters been either. It's in much better shape than the Ramcharger and I can't wait to get this freakin' truck done so I can start on it.

OH, the cars were a little cold. The Duster was. It ran a bit ruff at a mid pedal position. I did a quick 5 min. warm up and came back a bit later so at least they did start up instantly and was able to rev up without issue in todays chill.

Yeah, I heard the belts on the Magnum and the telltale lean crackly sound from the Duster.

You know your cars best though, and only you would know what state tune they are in.

BTW, if you ever need to trade out some jets, PM me. I may be able to help you out depending on the sizes.

I do get good comploments on sound. I do prefur a more beefier throaty sound. Deep rumble. Something that helps promotes fear and water down the leg.

Do you like the sound of Flowmasters? I started a thread about the Classic Chambered Powersticks and those are by far the meanest sounding mufflers I've heard yet. A bit like Flowmasters, but not as "tinny" and metallic sounding and with more of a rumbly "growl". The sound clip on their website of the '73 Charger is awesome, it almost sounds like a diesel at idle, but makes a loud throaty growl when revved.

Most flowmasters...no, I do not like there sound. I wish I knew which ones they were.
I'm actually a big fan of a simple turbo muffler sound.
Deep throaty growl that barks big. Combined with a W.O.T. T-Q unsilenced, it is a beautyful thing.
I'll re-check out the thread and the sound clip at there site.

OK, from this page; http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/sounds.html
I listened. Not a big fan of the sound, though there not bad, just not for me.
Sound is a very particular kind of thing.

Yeah, I heard the belts on the Magnum and the telltale lean crackly sound from the Duster.

You know your cars best though, and only you would know what state tune they are in.

BTW, if you ever need to trade out some jets, PM me. I may be able to help you out depending on the sizes.

Ahh, I was looking for this thread! Errrrr

Yea, both cars were still a bit cold temp wise. The Magnum runs real good. Pulls well for a old low comp. engine. State of tune at idle and cruise are fine. Under a heavier load or under more weight on the hammer, it might be lean. I'm not dead sure on it. That carb ran lean (Secondary side) on my 360. Edel. RPM stuff up top and a 10-1 w/purple 292/.509.

The Duster needs some timing advancement. The exhaust is very light in blue smoke and it was leaned down well. I'll tinker with it another time when it gets a bit warmer.

I'd like to get a LM meter on it with dual 02's. That....would be just great. Really get it in there.

Thanks for the offer ramcharger.

-
Back