How do you sort your tools

-
ALL of mine are sorted by drive (each have their own drawer) 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, then they are sorted by SAE/Metric, SAE on the left, Metric on the right. Wrenches, same way, each have their own drawer as to type of wrench, SAE on the left, Metric on the right. Everything that has SAE and Metric is sorted that way, nut drivers, allen wrenches, even my screwdrivers. :D

I want to see your metric screwdrivers, I bet you even have a metric crescent wrench.
lol

Sorting tools? For one, I keep the non-U.S.A. tools away from my U.S.A. tools. I also keep the metrics away from the S.A.E. Other than that, I sort it by size.

At this point they are spread out pretty good over nearly every surface of my garage. I can just look around and find what I want.
Once upon a time i had my tools very organized ( i do at work). But i have more tools than place to organize now. Gonna have to work on that.

Twisty things

Pinchy things

sockets

sockets

sockets

other

other

other

My son labelled a drawer in our tool box, "Pliers and ****".... LOL!

I want to see your metric screwdrivers, I bet you even have a metric crescent wrench.
lol

I sell metric screwdriver bits (the sizes are different). I also have adjustable wrenches that have the metric range stamped on them. toolmanmike

I start by sorting by 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4. One drawer for each. Then if possible 6pt and 12 pt, one side of the drawer is metric and the other sae.

Attachments

• 1.2 sock sm.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 215
Lots of references to Metric tools on this thread; one of the best things about wrenching on my Duster is NO METRIC - just SAE, like back in the good old days.

I also have all the metric stuff, but I use them because I have to not because I love to.
Just my 2 cents (or is that centimeters???)

Lots of references to Metric tools on this thread; one of the best things about wrenching on my Duster is NO METRIC - just SAE, like back in the good old days.

I also have all the metric stuff, but I use them because I have to not because I love to.
Just my 2 cents (or is that centimeters???)

Yes, but the nice about Metric is this.

10 mm too big, but 8 mm to small. Well, duh. It's obviously a 9 mm.

I don't have to do any damn fractions in my head to figure what size I need. I can do the fractions, but at least with Metric I don't have to.

Just saying!

Yes, but the nice about Metric is this.

10 mm too big, but 8 mm to small. Well, duh. It's obviously a 9 mm.

I don't have to do any damn fractions in my head to figure what size I need. I can do the fractions, but at least with Metric I don't have to.

Just saying!

This theory only works on "stuff" that you KNOW is 100% U.S. or metric. There were a few years in the 70's--80's and maybe even "now" where cars were mixed U.S. and metric. I guess? The magnum engine series was that way?

The other "*****" about metric is standardization of useful sizes. Use to be when you bought a metric "set" there were certain sizes missing that were hardly used. GM for ex I think used to like 15mm, and you NEVER used to find them on Japanese bikes.

And..........it even gets worse

In a previous life in the early eighties I was working in parts. a GM line mechanic came in, he "had been" down to our fastener's store, I was in main parts. he had a bolt "and he knew" it was metric because it was a 10mm head. He could not find the right "pitch" threads

It was a 1/4" U.S. bolt thread with a 10 mm head!!!!!

Mechanical tools.....in the tool box, most commonly used closest to eye level.
Carpentry tools.....hanging on the wall.
Garden tools.....in the shed.

Funny, that's the order of importance too!

-
Back