How is early A battery tray hold-down affixed/hooked in?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Do the hold downs hook from inside the battery tray out or the other way around? Thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.30.16 PM.png

Do the hold downs hook from inside the battery tray out or the other way around? Thank you.

View attachment 1715707132
What? It should be obvious. Short hook to the fender.only one way for that one to go. Inside out is what I have seen. You might have to dig around for old photos or look in a service manual.

Thanks, I just posted that picture to "liven" up a boring question regarding '65 model year.

Just fabricating my own battery tray and the j-hook on the engine compartment side does not fit in alongside the battery if I try to hook in pointing away from the battery. Trying to picture the factory orientation to determine if I did something wrong.

Pointy part of hook should point away from the battery. If not you are likely to poke a hole in your battery
IMHO

If the hook won’t fit, you may have made your battery tray too narrow. Weld a nut slightly bigger than your threaded rod on the outside of the tray, straight below the hold down hole. Poke the threaded rod up thru the nut, then thru the hold down. Or....make a wider tray.

I've done the one closest to the engine both ways. Depending on battery size, clearance and angle of the hold down bar when installed.

-
Back