How many using an A500 overdrive ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
How many have installed an A500/42h overdrive transmission ? Why did you choose it over the A518/46h overdrive ?
How has it held up for the way that you use your car ? Would you choose the A500/42h again/ or upgrade to the larger A518/46h ?
Trying to poll those that have been there/done that. To help me make a informed choice. Thanks...please ad any comments.
My vehicle is a 1964 Dodge A100. With a 318 mostly stock. DD , cruiser.

Since you have an A100, "things are different." The A bodies have a problem with tunnel clearance, and a person (search there are threads) can cut out part of the rear crossmember, re-work it, and shoe-horn an A500 up in there. "We are told" that an A518 requires floor surgery

I don't remember the A100 crossmember.......don't they have an "overhead" hanger setup? Anyway, the tunnel/ crossmember will likely be your problem

I guess? you are aware of the differences re: the earlier RH, and the later RE (electronic?)

I did, it was alright, I like the t-5 I just swapped in there better...

How many have installed an A500/42h overdrive transmission ? Why did you choose it over the A518/46h overdrive ?
How has it held up for the way that you use your car ? Would you choose the A500/42h again/ or upgrade to the larger A518/46h ?
Trying to poll those that have been there/done that. To help me make a informed choice. Thanks...please ad any comments.

I couldn't ever go back to a standard 3 speed (904)
It fit in the car with very little underside mods unlike the A518 and I am going on 3-4? years with mine.
It was put in used out of a front end wrecked 95 Dakota, has a stage 2 Transgo kit installed, with the OE 1,800 stall converter with OD and lockup completely automatically shifted via the governor hydraulic pressures.

My car is a daily driver with freeway gears (2.73) and gets 25mpg at 80mph doing 2,100rpms.
Motor is a mild built 5.9 Magnum with a torque cam, Edelbrock intake and carb, Hughes valve gear on stock 1.6 rockers with 1 5/8 tube headers.

Like I said, I'll never go back.

A500OD.jpg

ShifterArt.jpg

The OEM 727 in the A100 was a short tailshaft unit and as such the driveshaft was no more about than 18 inches long. The A500 is a pretty long unit due to the extra length of the OD unit and the OD unit of the A500 will eat up most, if not all of the space the original driveshaft occupies. You might not even have room for a driveshaft!

Iv ran an a500 in my 68 more door for a few years and love it. Did nothing to the floor and used all the shift/throttle linkage from the 904. Had to cut the driveshaft and redo the crossmember. I run 3.23 gears and usually get about 20 mpg driving 70-80 mph with a stock 318

Yeah I know about the hydraulic vs electronic units. The A100 will require me to make a lower cross member. And I know that the driveshaft will be short/ but I think that there is room to make it work.
Anyone have any problems with breakage ? I will probably never have make than 300HP.
I like the fact that the A500 has a lower 1st gear/ weighs less/ and robs less power from the driveline/ and is about 1" shorter in length than the A518.
I would prefer a lockup unit (whats the best vehicle to get on from & years for the hydraulic unit 42rh with lockup?)
How tall of tire are you guys running ? I've got 225/70/15 27.4" Dia .
Sounds like a win-win to me.

Last edited:
I couldn't ever go back to a standard 3 speed (904)
It fit in the car with very little underside mods unlike the A518 and I am going on 3-4? years with mine.
It was put in used out of a front end wrecked 95 Dakota, has a stage 2 Transgo kit installed, with the OE 1,800 stall converter with OD and lockup completely automatically shifted via the governor hydraulic pressures.

My car is a daily driver with freeway gears (2.73) and gets 25mpg at 80mph doing 2,100rpms.
Motor is a mild built 5.9 Magnum with a torque cam, Edelbrock intake and carb, Hughes valve gear on stock 1.6 rockers with 1 5/8 tube headers.

Like I said, I'll never go back.

View attachment 1715245310

View attachment 1715245311
Your switches ? is one to turn on the OD ? / and the other to turn on the lockup ?

I ran my A-500 all summer with a 360 and a 3.23 gear in a Duster. It is great! It was 7" longer than the 904 it replaced if memory serves. The low 1st gear is beneficial too. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Cley

How many think that the A518/46rh is a better choice for a DD cruiser with a mild built 318 (maybe 300hp) I may be able to get one cheap. But would prefer the A500/42rh

Iv ran an a500 in my 68 more door for a few years and love it. Did nothing to the floor and used all the shift/throttle linkage from the 904. Had to cut the driveshaft and redo the crossmember. I run 3.23 gears and usually get about 20 mpg driving 70-80 mph with a stock 318
What size rear tires you using ?

Especially for a lower HP ride, the A-500 gets my vote since it takes less HP to run and has a lower 1st gear.

Cley

215/70 14 on rallye wheels. The lower first gear is nice. Besides the disk brakes, swapping in this trans was the best thing i did to this car.

Your switches ? is one to turn on the OD ? / and the other to turn on the lockup ?

Yes, in a way.
I have mine set up with a fully automatic shifting system so that if OD is turned on "Auto" mode OD will come on at 55mph, and the same with lockup at 75mph
I can turn either/or off, so they don't engage at 55 and 75.
If both switches are in Auto mode the trans shifts 1-2-3-OD-lockup all on it's own.
Then when slowing lockup disengages at 75, and the OD disengages at 55.
I don't have to touch anything unless for example I want out of lockup and I am above 75, then I have to turn it off manually. (same with OD if I am over 55 and want out of it)
I can also skip OD completely by leaving the "4th" switch off and it will shift 1-2-3 and then lockup at 75.
Or I can leave "5th" off and it will shift 1-2-3- then OD at 55.
Turn both switches to off, and it shifts like a normal 904 without OD or lockup either one.

It also has an adjustable vacuum switch that kicks lockup out if too much throttle is used, and then re engages as I let off and engine vacuum comes back up.
This works well if climbing a big hill and I lay into it, as it will disengage lockup and downshift to OD.
I have yet to find a hill it won't climb at 80 or more in lockup, but I don't like to push the converter clutch too hard as it is the weakest of the clutches in a trans.
Plus I don't let the engine get below about 2,100-2,200 with a lot of throttle as I don't feel it's good for it to do high loads with low throttle.

2 adjustable pressure switches are used for OD and lockup that are physically plumbed to the governor port on the trans, so when governor pressure reaches that amount of psi at 55mph the switch triggers and OD comes on.
Same with lockup, but it is set higher at the switch to come in at 75mph.

Who builds and sells the Hyd. A-500?
Can these be modified for a non lock up torque converter?

Can I ask why your going from the A518---to the A500 ?
I would guess it's pretty cramped in there and the fact that the A500 uses about 15 hp less than the 518.:D
Just a guess.

Guessed right about the powerloss. IMO the clearances don't change around the OD-section between a 500 and a 518 so there's no gain there.
My car's mileage is pathetic and absolutely no better than running around with a 904 transmission.
It has become much more fun to drive with the OD, but hardly any improved fuel-efficiency at all.

My hopes are settled on the better first gear of the A500, a matching 'newer' design stall convertor, lockup, and a lighter rotating (and rebuild) internal assembly.

Yes, in a way.
I have mine set up with a fully automatic shifting system so that if OD is turned on "Auto" mode OD will come on at 55mph, and the same with lockup at 75mph
I can turn either/or off, so they don't engage at 55 and 75.
If both switches are in Auto mode the trans shifts 1-2-3-OD-lockup all on it's own.
Then when slowing lockup disengages at 75, and the OD disengages at 55.
I don't have to touch anything unless for example I want out of lockup and I am above 75, then I have to turn it off manually. (same with OD if I am over 55 and want out of it)
I can also skip OD completely by leaving the "4th" switch off and it will shift 1-2-3 and then lockup at 75.
Or I can leave "5th" off and it will shift 1-2-3- then OD at 55.
Turn both switches to off, and it shifts like a normal 904 without OD or lockup either one.

It also has an adjustable vacuum switch that kicks lockup out if too much throttle is used, and then re engages as I let off and engine vacuum comes back up.
This works well if climbing a big hill and I lay into it, as it will disengage lockup and downshift to OD.
I have yet to find a hill it won't climb at 80 or more in lockup, but I don't like to push the converter clutch too hard as it is the weakest of the clutches in a trans.
Plus I don't let the engine get below about 2,100-2,200 with a lot of throttle as I don't feel it's good for it to do high loads with low throttle.

2 adjustable pressure switches are used for OD and lockup that are physically plumbed to the governor port on the trans, so when governor pressure reaches that amount of psi at 55mph the switch triggers and OD comes on.
Same with lockup, but it is set higher at the switch to come in at 75mph.

With the A500-42h, would I have to do something like you did with pressure switches and toggles and such? Or could I install this tranny and have the overdrive and lockup work automatically without being switched on/off, etc?

With the A500-42h, would I have to do something like you did with pressure switches and toggles and such? Or could I install this tranny and have the overdrive and lockup work automatically without being switched on/off, etc?
I know my fathers 1990 Dodge van (not sure if it had the A500 or A518) Had an override switch ON/OFF on the dash to control the OD feature . He bought this van new in 1990.

I know my fathers 1990 Dodge van (not sure if it had the A500 or A518) Had an override switch ON/OFF on the dash to control the OD feature . He bought this van new in 1990.

That is a little different. That switch "controls the controls" What he is referring to is a stand alone WITHOUT factory OD controls. You can actually directly control the OD with a simple toggle. "All manual"

Who builds and sells the Hyd. A-500?
Can these be modified for a non lock up torque converter?

That I don't know, but I'm sure a guy could take one in and get it built.
It takes a valve body and input shaft change of the trans to go non lockup, or you could get one of the earlier transmissions with OD only.(I think):D

You could do either actually as there are three ways to do it.
1. Completely manual, where you switch OD and lockup on and off as needed.
2. Pressure switched like mine so it shifts automatically but can be disabled by turning them off.
3. A stand alone aftermarket shift computer. (kind of expensive)

The thing I ran across when setting mine up was that there seemed to be only one place that sold a pressure switch kit, and when I tried to contact them about it I never got an answer so I built my own.
One problem with the kit the place sold was that the shift points are not adjustable like the setup I built.

That is a little different. That switch "controls the controls" What he is referring to is a stand alone WITHOUT factory OD controls. You can actually directly control the OD with a simple toggle. "All manual"
Don't see the difference . Toggle switch/ or factory push button that would light up when you pushed it to engage the overdrive.

This may have been answered before but I currently have a stock 318 with a 904 trans. I want to get an overdrive unit but I’m not very knowledgeable on transmission options. I found this on eBay Dodge 2wd Overdrive Unit REBUILT 46RE 47RE 42RE A500 A518 Transmission | eBay

My question is: would this work for me? Would this be a bolt on and go. I know I would need to modify the mount and driveshaft but other than that is it what I’m looking for?

-
Back