How many using an A500 overdrive ?

-
I'm buidling an A500 currently to replace the A518 in my Dart.
Id rather go the other direction

That said I have a 500 sitting here that I'm debating on whether I want to put in my truck behind it's /6... I have the adapter plate I'm gonna need to adapt the small block trans to the/6. The debate rages because originally I was happy to have a factory 727 in it behind that 6. I haven't had any luck over the last 40 years with any 904 I've had in any vehicle I've had one in. Whether /6 or small block. And I know that the 500 is 904 based. I bought a Dakota for a few pieces and parts I needed for my 96. It's trans won't work since my 96 is 4wd and also 1st year RE series trans.
But I couldn't let it go over the scale so I saved it when I parted that Dakota.
I like the lower 1st gear idea, but being 904 based like I said I don't have luck with 904s.
If I do use it it will be rebuilt and upgraded anyways I can. Thinking mild shift kit, ( I like the TF-ODjr on my 518s) extra clutches if possible and sonnax billet servos and accumulator.
The other fork in the road is I also have everything needed for a 727 to 833 od swap in hand, too. U was all set for that until I practically fell over a /6 and 727 combo that has the adapter plate is need to put that 500 in the truck instead... Confusion..... Decisions...

Last edited:
Who builds and sells the Hyd. A-500?
Can these be modified for a non lock up torque converter?
There were some 518s that came that way from the factory. (Non lockup) my son had one in his 92 Cummins and also in his 90 w250 with it's gas 360

I'm not sure but I think all A-500's were lock up. A-518 were either/or lockup/non lockup. If you don't want the LU function on a A-500 it can be disabled in the valve body.

Are higher stall converters available in lockup version for the A500, say 3000 to 3500 range?

Understanding what stall speed is and what effects it is almost as confusing to me as trying to wade thru a cam catalog.
Basically the stall speed is determined by the torque input to the converter. Example: The 9 1/2 inch converter in my race car stalls at about 3200 rpm behind a 170 cid engine. The same converter in the same car, but with a 225 CID engine stalls about 4,000 rpm. Bigger engine, more torque, higher stall. That same converter could be used behind a 400+ cid small block and the stall would be in the stratosphere. That is why you don't buy a converter by advertised stall speed. Means nothing without knowing the input torque.

Can a 904 converter be used on a A500 without lock up?

I just picked up a non-lockup A518 for my '68 Dart for when I build the 408. I went that route so I can use the Dynamic 9.5" 727 converter that I've already got. It's crazy how much these OD transmission cores go for in my area.

Are higher stall converters available in lockup version for the A500, say 3000 to 3500 range?
Yeah. The same converter that fits a 904 lockup trans will fit a 500 unless it's a newer 500 with the "flats" in the inner pump rotor instead of the slots. Don't remember when that change happened. Pump rotors can be changed between the 2 types

Can a 904 converter be used on a A500 without lock up?
No. Spline count is different between lockup and non. I think there is 1 more spline blade in the lockup version. Just enough it won't slide in
Now I don't know if you could use the front pump out of a non lockup version in a lockup trans

Basically the stall speed is determined by the torque input to the converter. Example: The 9 1/2 inch converter in my race car stalls at about 3200 rpm behind a 170 cid engine. The same converter in the same car, but with a 225 CID engine stalls about 4,000 rpm. Bigger engine, more torque, higher stall. That same converter could be used behind a 400+ cid small block and the stall would be in the stratosphere. That is why you don't buy a converter by advertised stall speed. Means nothing without knowing the input torque.
So then what would a converter stall at that's rated "1600-2000 rpm" in a d150 with a /6 and 3.21 rears

Are lock up 904's the same as an abody 904? Gear ratios same ?

So then what would a converter stall at that's rated "1600-2000 rpm" in a d150 with a /6 and 3.21 rears
I have no idea. If that converter is rated at 1600-2000 behind a V-8, it would be somewhat less behind a slant six. Back in my Chevy days, and before there were "good" converters, we used to put $10.00 junk yard 4 cyl Vega converters behind 350 v-8's. Gained a lot of stall, The converters didn't last long, but for $10 we could change them as often as needed. I think we need to take this to another thread.

When I inquired about it ~5years ago, the highest stall L/U unit was rated 2,800rpm, no matter which Co. I called. Most likely rated for an avg. output SB, so, I'm looking to convert it to non-lockup.

I have no idea. If that converter is rated at 1600-2000 behind a V-8, it would be somewhat less behind a slant six. I think we need to take this to another thread.

When I inquired about it ~5years ago, the highest stall L/U unit was rated 2,800rpm, no matter which Co. I called. Most likely rated for an avg. output SB, so, I'm looking to convert it to non-lockup.
I just spoke to precision torque converters https://gopnh.com/ They will build a lockup converter for an A-500 or A-518 to just about any spec you want. They said the can give up to in the area of 5500rpm stall and with a triple disc converter clutch and a billet cover.

I just spoke to precision torque converters https://gopnh.com/ They will build a lockup converter for an A-500 or A-518 to just about any spec you want. They said the can give up to in the area of 5500rpm stall and with a triple disc converter clutch and a billet cover.
Did they give you a ballpark price range?

Depending on what stall, and features you want, stating at $420 for an 11 inch, and starting at $1100 for a better/smaller converter. You would need to give them the vehicle specs, and results wanted, then they can recommend what converter specs, and price.

My understanding is that a Lockup 904 is actually an A998 or A999. Basically an updated 904 though. I might be wrong here, but I think 904=3 forward clutches, 998=4, 999=5
Gear ratios are the same, 2.74:1 First, 1.54:1 Second, 1:1 Third, 2.21:1 Reverse and if an O/D version, 0.69:1
Most Google searches bring me right back to FABO, such as;
904 lockup info

Lots of info in this book by Tom Hand,

SA Design, Chrysler TorqueFlite A-904 & A-727 Transmission-How to Rebuild​

It does not offer any info on the Overdrive portion, but you can apply the info to the main 3 speed part. Overdrive portion has much info in the truck and/or Diesel forums (weed through a lot of stuff)-unlike here, most forums seem to have a lot of "Facebook level" info, questions, and answers, but you come across links to supplies and other info.
Dodge Transmissions - Torque Converters and Transmission Parts. Seemed nice to deal with, very helpful.

I've used this for the info, can't say anything about ordering or personnel
MOPAR Chrysler Dodge Pymouth Automatic Transmission Parts

I am currently working through my transmission with ZERO experience, and it isn't on the road yet so I can't offer usage feedback, but I'm doing it based on the positive experiences and info of many of the posters on the 3 pages of this thread.

Last edited:
Nope. The a bodies were history before the lock up trans/converter came out, by about 2 years

Nope. The a bodies were history before the lock up trans/converter came out, by about 2 years
Sorry, I should vave been more clear. What I meant to ask was, are there any differences between a regular 904 that would have come in an Abody ( 1969 barracuda for example) and a 904 that would have come in a vehicle with a lock up converter?

Last edited:
There are some differences. However you can swap the entire lockup trans and converter into a "A' body with a 1968 or newer slant six or small block. 1967 and older engines had the small converter hole in the crank, and the later converter/trans will not fit. The early lock up trans was controlled internally by hydraulic pressure only. The later ones (not sure what year) the lockup was controlled with hydraulic pressure controlled by a electrical solenoid inside the trans. If using the electrical controlled trans (has a extra electrical connector at the rear of the main case, near the tail housing) you need to supply 12 volts (I don't think it is 5 volts) to this terminal when wanting to lock up.

Wow, things have changed, they did say they could make it smaller, but it'd have to be a dual clutch, & that would compromise how much it'd stall at that size. Guess demand & will means it's only a matter of $$$$ now... @92b

I didn't get into specifics. Just a generalization of what was available. I told the rep that I was just doing some research based on a forum discussion, and they might get some other phone calls. Said no problem.

There are some differences. However you can swap the entire lockup trans and converter into a "A' body with a 1968 or newer slant six or small block. 1967 and older engines had the small converter hole in the crank, and the later converter/trans will not fit. The early lock up trans was controlled internally by hydraulic pressure only. The later ones (not sure what year) the lockup was controlled with hydraulic pressure controlled by a electrical solenoid inside the trans. If using the electrical controlled trans (has a extra electrical connector at the rear of the main case, near the tail housing) you need to supply 12 volts (I don't think it is 5 volts) to this terminal when wanting to lock up.
Just to add to this. The slant six never had a electrically controlled lockup (except maybe in a truck). That trans did not come out untill after the slant six was discontinued in cars (the electrical trans was not before 1988). I have a electrically controlled lock up V-8 904 trans, and a couple of slant six lockup transmissions. At some future date I am going to see if I can put all the V-8 guts (mechanical parts can swap, I don't know about the electrical parts) in the slant six case.

-
Back