Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100% more

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
-
IMG_7383.gif

It wasn't the government.

It was business.

Doing exactly what the OP is describing- exploiting extremely low labor costs that more than offset the costs to transport sometimes twice around the world, and passing a modest savings on to the consumer while pocketing the rest.

You save a little.

They make a lot.

Everyone wins.

...except the US labor force.
With one of the lowest jobless rates in history I think the US labor force is OK..
I mean really... who of us wants to wants to tool out door handle parts all day..?..
Also who's been to China lately to see if they are skilled hard workers???...
I'll pay 9x less every time...

It's exactly as the op said...
We send them our specifications...
They give us a price...
We decide if we can make a profit...

There are no quality Chinese parts the match Trick Flow quality, there isn't a Chinese boot that will match the comfort and quality of my White boots. :usflag:made
Are chinese hands and brains not as good as ours??..
They are not capable of great craftsmanship???..
Your being ridiculous....
We give them the specifications...
Even in China ya get what ya pay for...

I would definitely pay more to keep jobs here in the USA. The reason it's all made in China is multi-fold (IMHO):
1. Years ago, corporate bean counters realized they could have the parts made in China for a LOT less, charge the same as before, and make more money.
2. More and more companies closed US production and went to China for lower costs and higher profits. More manufacturing jobs lost.
3. Unfortunately, FAR too many people would rather settle for poorer quality parts for a better price than they would have to pay if the same part was made in the USA.
4. Also unfortunately, many of us will also take the cheaper parts over the much more expensive made in the USA parts. They will talk boldly about paying more, but when push comes to shove I think you would all be surprised.
5. But I don't think we have to worry too much. I don't see anybody spending the fortune required to build a factory that would make the parts we say we want and would be willing to pay more for and competing with the cheaper Chinese made parts.

Unfortunately, a lot of products that were once made in the US can no longer be produced here thanks to the EPA & OSHA.

The setup cost for all the equipment needed to be EPA and OSHA compliant has priced most products out of the US.

This is why if you want a $1000 forged crankshaft, or a $2800 billet crankshaft it has to come from China.

Tom

My fancy expensive "American made" oil pan leaked out of the box... (of course I find out after installation...) can't test with solvent any more...
Look, I don't want to remove my engine to send it back to them to hope they can't find an excuse to blame me...
I've already had to cut my k-frame to make it fit and beat dents it my ceramic headers to make it fit...
I couldn't give a rat where it comes from, for that kind of money I just want it to work the first time...

There is a few threads on this already. It’s a fact of life now. Electronics being the biggest stranglehold China has on us now. Even up here in Canada the rules are so strict made by the ruthless money grabbing beaurocrats that pretty soon 9/10s of everything will be manufactured overseas. Not just China but Taiwan, Korea, and any other country you can think of. Kim

Never tried kettle corn yet. Like the cheese flavored best
I like good Caramel Corn the best, followed by popcorn with real butter and a little more salt than some would prefer, then Cheese corn and then Kettle corn.
I have a good Caramel Corn recipe.

So here is the question...

If a product is made using the same equipment in China vs. in the US how much more are you willing to pay?

I priced out manufacturing a part and it would be 9X more expensive to have it made in the US vs in China. The equipment is the same, the shipping is the same, scientifically verified both parts are the same quality.

Would you be willing to pay $225.00 to have a part made in the US vs $25.00 made in China.
Congrats. I wish you the best of luck and I hope the guys here support you. About time people bring back manufacturing the the US after the elite sold it all off to other countries.

I hope many more people will follow you!

If a product is made using the same equipment in China vs. in the US how much more are you willing to pay?

I priced out manufacturing a part and it would be 9X more expensive to have it made in the US vs in China. The equipment is the same, the shipping is the same, scientifically verified both parts are the same quality.

Would you be willing to pay $225.00 to have a part made in the US vs $25.00 made in China.
Depends a lot on the part. Good oem supplier brake rotors made in USA or Canada, I would gladly pay 5 times as much. A crap quality edlebrock intake not inclined to spend more than a higher quality knock off.

Don't forget that there's a huge used and NORS market too. I think some people just like to buy new shiny things. They buy new shiny stuff made in China for that instant gratification instead of taking the time to find the same thing used/old stock that's made in USA.

I'd absolutely pay more for a new made in USA product. I also know I can usually find NORS cheaper than made in China. I think it's more important to keep money here than sending overseas.

Friend dropped in today. He just bought a Chinese 'Edelbrock' #1406 carb [ 600 cfm ]. He paid $AU350 which is about $US230 at the current exchange rate. It looks very well made & the Chinese have added sight glasses to each float bowl.
It came with these extras:
- 3 sets of main jets
- 4 hose clamps
- air cleaner stud
- carb mounting studs with nyloc lock nuts
- spar 1/4"Npt

Sorry,
Carb belongs to a friend & he has taken it with him. Looks like any AFB except for sight glass panels on the float bowl sides. Might find pics on the net.

Unfortunately, a lot of products that were once made in the US can no longer be produced here thanks to the EPA & OSHA.

The setup cost for all the equipment needed to be EPA and OSHA compliant has priced most products out of the US.

This is why if you want a $1000 forged crankshaft, or a $2800 billet crankshaft it has to come from China.

Tom
Finally someone touches on some truth. This is the same reason when you see one of those little foreign cars or trucks that get 50 plus MPG ...I remember a company from India don't remember the name, they had a line of vehicles whose prices were going to be no more than around 5K bucks. By the time they would do everything to make them legal for the American market, the EPA nonsense made them about the same price as any of the current entry level vehicles. Kinda defeated the purpose.

What you have to realize is the Chinese will steal your product and undercut you. As a design engineer, that is just so wrong. Why would you give up your foresight, engineering, and design to make a quick buck and have your ideas, and product stolen away from you in short order? You would be so much better off trying Taiwan. We used to have our aluminum castings and machining done there.

Y’all couldn’t afford parts if they were still made in the United States and you want to point a finger why, point it at lawyers, insurance companies and the business people in healthcare.
You forgot all the people willing to hire a lawyer to sue for their stupidity and jurys that think it does not matter how much they award unscrupulous people.

-
Back