How screwed am I?

-

73Badsport

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. So, when I was 16, before I knew anything about the buying/selling process, I traded my camaro for a dodge dart sport. He gave me the title, but it was from the previous seller to his wife. I locked the title away in my safe until recently and noticed this. I can't find the guy anywhere or reach him. I have a bill of sale since I traded my camaro for it. I talked to the DMV and I can't seem to get a straight answer or talk to the same person so I'm starting over every time. Any input on this? Thanks in advance. I'd just hate to have done all of this work for nothing.

Depends on your state. In Missouri, if you apply for a lost title, they send it to last registered owner. If they're of a mind to, they can call in "their" car.

I have better luck with getting a lawyer to petition the state to issue me a title.

What I have heard is you can fill out an affadavit saying the particular sale never happened and it was sold to you instead. Typically you need the 'owner' of the car to sign this form for you.

Otherwise talk to a used car dealer near you and see if they have a tip or trick for you to use to get around your issue. They deal with shady title issues all the time.

He can't apply for something that wasn't in his name in the first place. If you say he gave you a title I suggest finding it and figure all of this out before proceeding on the project. What state are you in?

If I may play "devil's advocate", your problem is that the husband's transfer to you could have occurred without his wife's knowledge; that is, it might have been fraudulent. Plus, as Sedanman said, even if it wasn't fraudulent he had nothing to sell you in the first place. I think you are either going to have to get the wife to sign the transfer, or file a court suit to establish title to the vehicle. If you find there is some other way to do it, please post a follow-up because that would be very interesting.

I might be a good idea to get a hold of the person whos name is on the title, explain the situation to them and see if they are willing to sign an affidavit to the effect it had the wrong name entered as buyer ant then you can put it in your name.

Make out another bill of sale. Put it in the wife's name. Present that along with the title. Done. Over and out. Probably less than 10 minutes.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm in Wisconsin. It was a shady couple that had been, looking forward, it was silly of me. The statute of limitations on receiving stolen property is 3-6 years, that's not the case, but still puts me in the clear if they were to try that. I've tried contacting every person on the title to no avail. She was the one that signed off on everything, he just conducted the transaction.

If it is signed off but no buyer is filled in then just take it in and transfer it. Michigan is no problem doing that.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm in Wisconsin. It was a shady couple that had been, looking forward, it was silly of me. The statute of limitations on receiving stolen property is 3-6 years, that's not the case, but still puts me in the clear if they were to try that. I've tried contacting every person on the title to no avail. She was the one that signed off on everything, he just conducted the transaction.

Then all you really need to do is fill the back of the title out as the buyer, take it in and get it transferred.

The only open spot on the back is for licensed dealers it says. There's only one spot on top that is already filled out that says assignment by owner. Then the ones below say for licensed dealers only

Then it sounds like your only option is to make a bill of sale. I have done it so many times I have lost count.

Just hope they didn't apply for a lost title (which would void yours) and junk it so they didn't have to keep paying taxes on the car. I had to do that with 2 cars I sold, the new owner never transferred the title and I was required to pay the taxes the next year even tho I sold the car... So I applied for a lost title, took it in and junked it... Never again will I sell a car without meeting the buyer AT the DMV and transferring the title immediately

You have the title first get the local police to do a vin check to see if it's lost or stolen - they should have a form for this or you can find one on your states web after that I haven't a clue good luck

Just hope they didn't apply for a lost title (which would void yours) and junk it so they didn't have to keep paying taxes on the car. I had to do that with 2 cars I sold, the new owner never transferred the title and I was required to pay the taxes the next year even tho I sold the car... So I applied for a lost title, took it in and junked it... Never again will I sell a car without meeting the buyer AT the DMV and transferring the title immediately
Glad Illinois don't work that way.......

I'll try and talk to someone again this week. Thanks again for the input. I'll go to the DMV in person and see what they say!

In AZ I have taken a vehicle in to DMV with zero paperwork (Not even a bill of sale) and about 75 bucks later walked out with a title in my name and new plates and tags.

It was called a title bond and gotten through my insurance company (State Farm actually)

I mean i Agree with RRR. Hate to say it but, just forge it. We had to several weeks ago with a 68 Thunderbird. In NY you need to insure the project to register it and so projects can become passed across an owner without changing names. Use the free federal DB search, make sure its not reported totaled or stolen. If you're clear... sign what needs signing.

Thats sounding like the easiest route. But there's no place for a signature from them to me on the title. There's only a spot for a dealer to sell it. I don't quite understand it.ill post a pic in a minute

Just like rrr said multiple times all you need is s bill of sale .
It's real simple .

Has anyone done that in Wisconsin without issues? If that's the case, I'll give it a shot.

Is her address on the back? If not fill it in with your address so it comes back to you and pay the fee's.

I mean i Agree with RRR. Hate to say it but, just forge it. We had to several weeks ago with a 68 Thunderbird. In NY you need to insure the project to register it and so projects can become passed across an owner without changing names. Use the free federal DB search, make sure its not reported totaled or stolen. If you're clear... sign what needs signing.

I'll bite, got a link?

-
Back