how to fix this trunk?!

-

Andre68

Reaction score
seeing I had a suspension installation bummer today, i decided to try and fix a rust patch on my trunk... then after trying to fabricate the sheet metal to fit the trunk i realized it wasnt matching up properly, then i looked at the trunk and realized there was more dents than i thought... I also realized that it was probably impossible to fix with a hammer and dolly.

How can I fix this trunk? Or should I just buy one from a donor car?

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 535
  • trunk2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 523
  • trunk3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 527
I would buy a good clean used one if there is any around. I don't know how easy finding a nice trunk lid would be but here is one option for fixing dents.

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJHYFFkOpGl-qBSLSvkdtIw~~60_1.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 519
find another or as i'm doing use a tail panel.

I would buy a good clean used one if there is any around. I don't know how easy finding a nice trunk lid would be but here is one option for fixing dents.

Stud Gun It, that's a repairable lid just time to pull them out and shrink some metal, Good Luck with your Decision

Cool well I'm gonna look at a panel an a dent puller, probably gonna do dent puller because I will be able to use it whenever I need too

seeing I had a suspension installation bummer today, i decided to try and fix a rust patch on my trunk... then after trying to fabricate the sheet metal to fit the trunk i realized it wasnt matching up properly, then i looked at the trunk and realized there was more dents than i thought... I also realized that it was probably impossible to fix with a hammer and dolly.

How can I fix this trunk? Or should I just buy one from a donor car?

Get a fiberglass hinged one and forget about this one. Im prolly going to go fiberglass on my whole front clip on my cuda for many reasons. Nobody makes a good repop steel set of fenders, and original ones in undamaged condition are insane amounts of money. My hood is going to be a six pack style hood, so theres the answer for that part. The header paanel and lower valance are toast, so why not fiberglass. I realize it requires lots of blocking and work to make it all line up like steel parts, but ive got nothing but time. Plus no rust issues. If its done and finished right, when the trunk is closed nobody would ever know its fiberglass.

If you can find one for cheap, i would replace it.
The dents aren't that hard to repair, so you really aren't stuck.
I would probably just repair it if the seams are good and not bulging from rust.
A stud gun is the ticket, and you can use it on other projects later.
Investing in tools is a good choice, it's the gift that keeps on giving! lol

Get a fiberglass hinged one and forget about this one. Im prolly going to go fiberglass on my whole front clip on my cuda for many reasons. Nobody makes a good repop steel set of fenders, and original ones in undamaged condition are insane amounts of money. My hood is going to be a six pack style hood, so theres the answer for that part. The header paanel and lower valance are toast, so why not fiberglass. I realize it requires lots of blocking and work to make it all line up like steel parts, but ive got nothing but time. Plus no rust issues. If its done and finished right, when the trunk is closed nobody would ever know its fiberglass.

Wanted to do glass fenders on mine but my friend/body guy talked me out of it. He told me that it was going to take some work to get glass ones to fit/look as good as the oe ones. Kinda sorry I bought a glass hood. I bought one that is hinged....and the frame was off quite a bit. And it is proud on the left rear corner...Hate glass stuff....And it really is not all that much lighter....

99% of the glass stuff I have personally seen still looks like glass when it is said and done. I am sure that there are people out there that can make glass look nice if they spend enough hours on it.

Honestly, if it's that rusted, you might as well take the skin off like I did and fix it/dolly it from the back. I bet when you break into that skin your not gonna like what you see.

best bet is buy a replacement, there are tons of them, put a want ad out.

Wanted to do glass fenders on mine but my friend/body guy talked me out of it. He told me that it was going to take some work to get glass ones to fit/look as good as the oe ones. Kinda sorry I bought a glass hood. I bought one that is hinged....and the frame was off quite a bit. And it is proud on the left rear corner...Hate glass stuff....And it really is not all that much lighter....

Not talking about glass stuff for weight savings. Race glass is much lighter than street glass. Im talking about it for the availability. Its a 67 to 69 dart trunklid. Depending on where this guy lives he may have a hard time finding another used one in better condition which is why he's trying to fix this one. Fiberglass may be an alternative for this. I live in an area of the country where nothing rusts out badly, but most people back then bought trucks not cars so finding anything for my cuda is harder than most. Yes theres fabo and evilbay for body parts but to cost to ship this stuff is cost prohibitive. Yes it costs to ship new glass parts too. Thats a given factor. I really doubt AMD is gonna come out with dart trunklids anytime soon. Ditto for cuda fenders, and header panels.

What i really wish is for AMD to repop the outer door skins for the gen 2 cuda. Same outer skin fits all 67, 68, 69 coupe, convertible , and fastback. Lots of doors out there with good inner structure, but bad outer skins that could be repaired if these were made available.

not sure if you fixed your problem,or where you are from but I have one that ill sell you dirt cheep, its nice I live in northeastern pa. email- [email protected] or 570-452-9017

Hey guys I think I might just fix this one, its actually good rust wise, I cut out the portion that was rusted.

Cawley I appreciate the offer major, but I do feel that the dent puller would be a nice investment. Just how this trunk got dented it can happen again! It looks like they backed it inbetween like 2 posts because it has dents in the same spot.

I will say though if some how crap hits the fan with this trunk then Cawley I will be messaging you!

Yea that trunk was all sort of messed up! I tried using the dent puller but the metal started to get very flimsy, I tried applying body filler and going that route but it's been days of sanding and decided I'm over it as I'm just gonna buy a trunk lid

X2
I got an AAR fiberglass trunk lid and it is perfect!

-
Back