How to get parking brake cables off rear axle??

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm in the middle of my swap from the /6 to 360 and am working on getting that old 7 1/4 out of there. I've gotten the shocks off (it was much harder then it sounds lol) and started working on trying to get the e-brake cables off of both sides but i can't figure out how to get them off. Can anyone help?? It's a 74 scamp and like i said above a 7 1/4 if that makes any difference. Do i have to dissasemble the brakes and take the end of the cable off the shoe??? If so then what? You'll have to exscuse me, this is my first big project. Any help would be greatly appretiated!!

Are the drums off? There's a "C" clip inside the drum, holding it on the backing plate.
And yes, they are not hooked to the shoe, but a lever.

easiest way is to cut them off and replace with new ones. Otherwise, the end that goes into the drum backing plate is a flare / finger type end. when you push it through from the back side, the fingers compress, then once all the way in, they open up again not allowing the cable to be pulled out. You can try to compress them carefully and get one edge out of the hole then keep working your way around. It is tedious, but I have done it...But on the last project, I cut them with the dewalt and went on with my day... haha

easiest way is to cut them off and replace with new ones. Otherwise, the end that goes into the drum backing plate is a flare / finger type end. when you push it through from the back side, the fingers compress, then once all the way in, they open up again not allowing the cable to be pulled out. You can try to compress them carefully and get one edge out of the hole then keep working your way around. It is tedious, but I have done it...But on the last project, I cut them with the dewalt and went on with my day... haha

That is usually the easiest, quickest way.

right they're hooked onto the lever on the shoe, i got that far but then once i unhook it the cable is still attached to the backing plate, i'd like to keep the cables on the car because i know the 8 3/4 i'll be getting has none of that stuff, but worse come to worse i'll leave some of it the axle i guess. O and yes the drums are off. is the c slip on the outside or inside of the drum?? everything is covered in rust on this rear axle and it's hard to make out what's what, if i know where to look i might get a better idea, thanks guys for the tips!!!

That does sound like the quickest way, I was kinda hopeing to reuse them cables because they are in good shape (not all rusted to crap) and the less money i have to spend on little things like that the better, i'm on a really strict budget

you will need to get them out of the backing plate by sliding a box end wrench over the cable to compress the tabs to get the cables through the holes or use a small hose clamp and tighten the clamp to compress the tabs...

I might even be less of a hassle to slide the axles out and leave the parking brake attached to the backing plate, and take the backing plates off.
If you don't plan on re-using/rebuilding that rear.

Another option?

Here is a quick easy way to get them lose.

1 take a small hose clamp and get it as close to the backing plate as possible leaving a little room to pull forward ,tighten it and pull on the cable from the front side slightly.
2 when the cable tabs are clear of the backing plate hole loosen the hose clamp try to keep slight pressure on the cable from the front.
3 pull your cable out and enjoy

All you've got to do is remove the drum/shoes, etc and find something round like a piece of pipe or a hex nut that has an ID close to the OD of the hole in the backing plate. [Not sure if it was Mopar but I recall once using a 1/2" nut and opened it slightly with a die grinder.] Slip the home made tool over the end of the cable and slide it up against the tabs you want to compress. Hit the tool with a hammer [or a chisel/hammer if you need a little extension] and the tabs will go in. Then all you have to do is tap the end of the cable and it will pop right out of the backing plate.

thanks for the tips guys! I've got someone that wats to trade all my /6 stuff for a few V8 things so i'd like to keep it as together as possible, i've already taken apart the passenger side to maybe i'll try my luck with a small hose clamp tommorow if i can find one. Again thanks guys for the tips that's a huge help!!

Don't cut anything!!!!!!!!......start by unhooking the cable where it meets the cable from the front of the car then pull the clips that are on the frame rail then the cables will come out with the rear end.from there pull the drums/brake shoes and take the lever off of the cable....then you can remove the cable from the backing plate easily using a small hose clamp to compress the fingers that hold it into the backing plate. you'll see what I mean by don't cut anything when you check price and availability or the funds missing from the wallet that could be spent elsewhere.the cables from the 7 1/4 are universal to all the mopar rears and there are two styles equal length and unequal length...Hope this was helpful :cheers:

yes waggin that was very helpful, like i said to the other guys i'll give it a try tommorow, i really didn't want to cut anything and you got it right on, i'd rather spend the money on something else that i need and take the extra time to take it apart right instead of just cutting it apart and having to but everything new. Thakns everyone for the tips it's all been a great help!!

well i went at it a little today and didn't have much luck, it didn't get very warm out today so i wasn't able to stay out in very long. I got a hose clamp but it's a little too small i think and i can't seem to get it around the fingers. do you guys think if i found a really small gear clamp if that may work? I'll give it another try tommorow maybe, i'm hopeing it'll warm up around here just a little so i can be out there a little longer. Any other suggestions?

1/2 box whench slide over the cable up to the backing plate work the whench back and forth this will help release the cable houseing from the backing plate pull on it while moving the whench, it will come loose i think the 12 point box works best if not us a 6 point box. als

Hey Al,
either you are really Elmer Fudd or the moderators need to monitor this,people have been diciplined here for trying to work whenchs back and forth.:-D
Sorry I couldnt help it
Andrew

I use a 12 point 7/16" boxed end wrench with a lot of wiggle, twist and pull on the cable sheathe.

i can,t stop laughing the wife and kid,s don,t get it but i do. high school was good to me , too much time out back the auto shop, can you say burn out brain cells . als

Here is a quick easy way to get them lose.

1 take a small hose clamp and get it as close to the backing plate as possible leaving a little room to pull forward ,tighten it and pull on the cable from the front side slightly.
2 when the cable tabs are clear of the backing plate hole loosen the hose clamp try to keep slight pressure on the cable from the front.
3 pull your cable out and enjoy

JohnParts is dead nuts on:cheers: I have done it this way a few times and it is quick and easy..................Give it a try :read2:

I have used the 1/2 inch boxed 12 point wrench method for 25 years in the shops I have worked at. It works great.

-
Back