.. how to wire a 3-pole starter relay ? ..

-

mopar66

Reaction score
HELP please ! ..was wondering how to wire a 3-pole starter relay ? ..
i have seen the 4-pole schematics where you wire the (2) spades to neutral safety switch and the start wire from key ... but what do you do if you only have (1) spade ?? .. see pic ..

the relay that is my car only has (1) spade besides the batt'y and starter solenoid terminals ..

thanks in advance for your help ! !

The one spade must be for the key wire (yellow). Using alligator clips, ground the case to BATT-, touch a wire from BATT+ to the spade terminal. If you hear a click, that is the relay actuating, which should connect the big stud (thick red wire) to the solenoid wire (big brown). These are for cars without a NSS on the tranny. I think that would be a manual shift with NSS in the cabin (on floor shifter). The NSS disables the yellow wire instead of switching the ground side of the coil.

The only difference between the 3 and 4 is that the "4th terminal" is already grounded.

If you have an automatic, that is exactly what the neutral safety switch does in park/ neutral

If you have a later car with a clutch safety switch, same thing

You CAN use a 4 pin relay with an older stick car, you just need to make up a jumper and ground either of the 'quick connect' terminals, then connect your start wire to the remaining one

You DO HAVE a manual gearbox ??

Otherwise you SHOULD be using a 4 terminal relay

i have a 318/904 combo .. and wanted to use the brand new relay (which is a 3-pin) that is already mounted in the car ... but it sounds like there is no way to make that work ? .. didn't see a 4-pin shown when i bought it, and the 3-pin i bought was listed as the plymouth/318 one to get ..

It will start, but will start in any gear. Only way around it is to get a 4 terminal relay.

RE: you PM, don't know where you are located, or where you have been going for parts stores, but these relays were used from the early 60's until at LEAST into the 80's and maybe later.

They were used on ALL Mopar cars and pickups, and the 4 terminal ones were used on all automatic cars and trucks as well as "stick" cars starting in '70

Electrically, all 4 terminal relays are the same, only difference is mounting brackets.

With a good big soldering iron, you "could" convert the 3 terminal into a 4--just unsolder the ground at the corner, clean it up, and solder a male quick connnect on instead.

-
Back