Install a Tremec T56 Magnum in your A-body

-
I personally believe whenever any of us can get exactly what our vehicle needs without going back in time so to speak, there shouldn't be a waiting time for us when there are thousands of others using technology of today. I've had quite a few 4 and 5 speeds as well as the outdated but strong 727's with it's 245 first gear making it practically impossible to run any high ratio rear and still get bottom end pickup and go. Even with a 3:55 rear using higher than 25" tires, your gear ratio can drop to 3:23 in reality. At one time I ran a Doug Nash 5 speed with its 3:27 first gear and using a 2:74 suregrip in a 8 3/4, it cam out of the chute like it was running 4:88's yet fifth was 1 to 1 and that to me was heaven on the highways. Now 25 years later we are all about to change our lives with the T56 to put against whatever Mopar we are running and like others, I welcome the change and this conversion can be done for way under 4G's including the T56. This trans against any motor is the tits..

You can look at Summit Racing. There are 2 different gear sets for this Transmission. Endless possibilities. The Cuda feels so great running thru the gears like an 833... Then 2 overdrives!!! It cannot be adequately described.
Todd

I'm sure this has already been asked. Is there any major floor surgery invoked in putting this trans in? I'm not worried about the torsion bars I'm already.converting to coilovers.

Thanks, Aj

Todd, I understand your excitement perfectly with the smoothness and the two overdrives. My pickup truck cruises at 93 mph in sixth at 2000 rpm and of course I can still downshift and bring it up quickly to 120 and shift into sixth. Do the math and you'll see what I've got

Any word if just the mounts will be available? I have talked with some of the guys at Modern Drive line and am trying to do the same 5speed conversion.

Any word if just the mounts will be available? I have talked with some of the guys at Modern Drive line and am trying to do the same 5speed conversion.

On my latest run of these parts, I have only one left. This is for the 67-76 a-bodies.
I have started the process of sizing up the early a-bodies over the past few weeks.
More progress..... More FUN!!
Also. This is for the T-56 MAGNUM 6 speed transmission.
Thanks.
Todd

I personally believe whenever any of us can get exactly what our vehicle needs without going back in time so to speak, there shouldn't be a waiting time for us when there are thousands of others using technology of today. I've had quite a few 4 and 5 speeds as well as the outdated but strong 727's with it's 245 first gear making it practically impossible to run any high ratio rear and still get bottom end pickup and go. Even with a 3:55 rear using higher than 25" tires, your gear ratio can drop to 3:23 in reality. At one time I ran a Doug Nash 5 speed with its 3:27 first gear and using a 2:74 suregrip in a 8 3/4, it cam out of the chute like it was running 4:88's yet fifth was 1 to 1 and that to me was heaven on the highways. Now 25 years later we are all about to change our lives with the T56 to put against whatever Mopar we are running and like others, I welcome the change and this conversion can be done for way under 4G's including the T56. This trans against any motor is the tits..
Hey Todd.. I'm super interested in this for my 68 barracuda... still available? You have a link? Are you able to source the t-56 as well (6-speed)?

Hello everyone.
Just wanted to let everyone know that my conversion parts are available now. I have a few pictures so you can see what all you get with my "Kit".
With these parts, putting in a T56 Magnum is easier than ever!!! Please let me know if you want one, or 2... or even 3!!!
This conversion has really made my 69 Barracuda a blast to drive.... great gears for acceleration.... plus 2 overdrive gears for highway use. This really is the best update I have ever made to our cars.
Thanks for any and all feedback. Price is $799.00. All orders December and January will get $50 off so that will be $749.00. Thanks for the encouragement.
Todd Johnson

Memphis TN
Are the 6 speed install kits available still? If so,how much?

Are the 6 speed install kits available still? If so,how much?
Yes... we have been developing additional parts as well for the E and B body MOPARS.
Here is the latest design for the 1963-1976 A-body.

0DC52F54-278F-4519-ACE6-0C028D405012.jpeg

Factory carpet set over the floor modified to fit the T56 MAGNUM. FYI.

67638AED-071E-43CA-A135-5DAF814B4EA0.jpeg

7D371AF4-FF47-4005-8938-21A96C43AF60.jpeg

2004r overdrive and then you can leave the crossmember and sheet metal in place. Looks good finished though.

2004r overdrive and then you can leave the crossmember and sheet metal in place. Looks good finished though.
I wanted to produce a kit that would allow people to retain the torsion bar front end, without loosing any strength in the cars torsion bar frame area, while allowing a 6 speed transmission that could handle 700ft/lbs of torque.
The swap over is an absolute amazing transformation!!
Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations.

I wanted to produce a kit that would allow people to retain the torsion bar front end, without loosing any strength in the cars torsion bar frame area, while allowing a 6 speed transmission that could handle 700ft/lbs of torque.
The swap over is an absolute amazing transformation!!
Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations.
Nice work Todd. Come up with a design that doesn't require re making a new upper floor and I'm interested.

Nice work Todd. Come up with a design that doesn't require re making a new upper floor and I'm interested.
Well that can’t happen without having the output shaft of the transmission dragging the floor. The tunnel is just too small.
I have sold quite a few of these, and hear lots of praise. Everybody has to make their own choices. This is a fun update!!
Good luck!! TJ

I'm sure it is. Just not interested in cutting up the floor of a 67 cuda with a perfect body. TKO600and space the mount down 1"-1.5" and it fits without cutting either...But I'm sure the t56 is fun.

I'm sure it is. Just not interested in cutting up the floor of a 67 cuda with a perfect body. TKO600and space the mount down 1"-1.5" and it fits without cutting either...But I'm sure the t56 is fun.
Yes. The TKO was built based on the old FORD top loader. Doesn’t shift very well above 4000 RPM.
We did our conversion and designed the parts using our pristine 1969 340-S fastback. The sound of 600 HP banging shifts at 7200 RPM is incredible!! Good luck with the engine/ transmission angle lowering the tail shaft of the transmission. I kept the factory angles consistent in our kit so the pinion angle shouldn’t need to be adjusted to keep from having a horrible rumble due to differing angles between the 2 “U” joints.

Yes. The TKO was built based on the old FORD top loader. Doesn’t shift very well above 4000 RPM.
We did our conversion and designed the parts using our pristine 1969 340-S fastback. The sound of 600 HP banging shifts at 7200 RPM is incredible!! Good luck with the engine/ transmission angle lowering the tail shaft of the transmission. I kept the factory angles consistent in our kit so the pinion angle shouldn’t need to be adjusted to keep from having a horrible rumble due to differing angles between the 2 “U” joints.
Done lifted 4x4's for years. Including high speed off road. No problem with joint angles. You kits good but not for those of us that don't wanna remake the floor. Tremec has long fixed the shifting issue.Luck to you too.

Done lifted 4x4's for years. Including high speed off road. No problem with joint angles. You kits good but not for those of us that don't wanna remake the floor. Tremec has long fixed the shifting issue.Luck to you too.

For those who choose Tremec there are kits for that.

This kit is for people who choose T56 and don't mind the cutting.

Dropping the engine/trans angle is a wonky solution. Headers fit comes into question, fan to radiator shroud clearance, resulting exhaust ground clearance, aftermarket small block distributor clearance...

That said... IMHO it's pricey for what it is.

I don't see any installation process pictures. Id still want to weld it to the tunnel and the trans cross member that's cut. Who ever puts it in is still going to be cutting and welding.

Could they cut and weld $800 more and make new crossmember (themselves without the kit)? ...Paying a fab shop for 8 hours of labor, probably not. ... at home not paying for your own labor probably so.

Edited: for clarity. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

In the physical world we inhabit, you CAN NOT install a T56 in an A-body without cutting the floor. Unless you lower the entire drive train a couple inches, effectively turning your A-body into a 4x4. Which is a far worse solution than reshaping the tunnel, and has implications that go well beyond abysmal ground clearance.

A well thought out and fabricated tunnel is not “trashing” the floor. If the crossmember maintains or exceeds the strength of the original, the tunnel is just sheet metal. No big deal. A bit of careful fabrication will come out better then what the factory did anyway.

Obviously “purists” need not apply. But a 6 speed transmission is completely wasted on purists anyway.

Last edited:
For those who choose Tremec there are kits for that.

This kit is for people who choose T56 and don't mind the cutting.

Dropping the engine/trans angle is a wonky solution. Headers fit comes into question, fan to radiator shroud clearance, resulting exhaust ground clearance, aftermarket small block distributor clearance...

That said... IMHO it's pricey for what it is.

I don't see any installation process pictures. Id still want to weld it to the tunnel and the trans cross member that's cut. Who ever puts it in is still going to be cutting and welding.

Could they cut and weld $800 more and make new crossmember? ...Paying a fab shop, probably not. ... at home not paying for your own labor probably so.
Easily done at home.

-
Back