Install a Tremec T56 Magnum in your A-body

-
Todd,

While a hydraulic clutch is probably more preferable for the street, most old time racers I know prefer mechanical if it was available. Some of us old folk wanting dual duty vehicles, that are mostly drag cars driven on the street, would like to have a mechanical option, which unfortunately is currently unavailable for big block Mopar and possibly for small block Mopar as well.

The reason why I want mechanical is because I believe it's less trouble. I've read all the slave cylinder issues and many of the other headaches others have posted about their hydraulic clutches. I like mechanical because I believe I can diagnose any issues easier. Plus, I already have most of the parts to do it.

Brad
Thanks for the explanation. I’m sure you will be successful in making it do what you want.
TJ

Not to completely derail TJ's thread, but hydraulic clutches aren't as weak as some would have you believe. I've done the Magnum 6 speed conversions, I was probably one of the first when they came out. A properly set up hydraulic clutch will work just as well if not better than a mechanical one. They've been used for decades in cars, trucks, performance cars and heavy equipment. They aren't new and are way more advanced today.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bagging on mechanical clutch linkages at all. I've built many cars with those, also. I do recommend that if you are building a mechanical linkage, you take a good look at what the Pro-Stock teams in the 60's and 70's did. Cross shafts were heavily beefed, standard rods were replaced with larger rods with spherical rod ends, engines were solid mounted to prevent torsional deflection and binding of the linkage, plus much more.

I'm excited to see how Brad does his linkage. I really like seeing things being well thought out and done properly, which is the way I see him going. I'll have to subscribe to his build thread. Hell, I've been subscribed to this one for five years.....

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I don't see how a mechanical clutch is less trouble. The stock z-bars have to be modified for use with the good headers (TTI and Dougs), and even the modified Z-bars barely fit. Any time you have to work in that area it's just another thing that's in the way. And the Z-bars themselves have been known to crack, not to mention the mounting locations on the inner fender/frame. And of course in this particular instance you have to go out of your way to adapt/fabricate a bellhousing that will use a mechanical clutch, because all the off the shelf mopar to T56 bells are for hydraulic clutches. A whole lot of work and no benefit that I see.

Hydraulic clutches are pretty darn simple. Seems like the issues that most folks have with them involve not bench bleeding the system before installation, or improperly setting the clearance on the throwout. And the latter is an issue with a mechanical clutch anyway, it's just the process that's different. With a T56 you can even use an OE Viper slave set up, which is a bunch less expensive than the aftermarket stuff out there and is easily adjusted with available shim packs.

Honestly, I think the only reason people don't like hydraulic clutches is because they don't know how to install and set one up properly.

Not to completely derail TJ's thread, but hydraulic clutches aren't as weak as some would have you believe. I've done the Magnum 6 speed conversions, I was probably one of the first when they came out. A properly set up hydraulic clutch will work just as well if not better than a mechanical one. They've been used for decades in cars, trucks, performance cars and heavy equipment. They aren't new and are way more advanced today.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bagging on mechanical clutch linkages at all. I've built many cars with those, also. I do recommend that if you are building a mechanical linkage, you take a good look at what the Pro-Stock teams in the 60's and 70's did. Cross shafts were heavily beefed, standard rods were replaced with larger rods with spherical rod ends, engines were solid mounted to prevent torsional deflection and binding of the linkage, plus much more.

I'm excited to see how Brad does his linkage. I really like seeing things being well thought out and done properly, which is the way I see him going. I'll have to subscribe to his build thread. Hell, I've been subscribed to this one for five years.....

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Great discussion!! Our hydraulic clutch has been flawless since the initial build. Lots of fun to drive!! Thanks for you addition to the conversation. TJ

I don't see how a mechanical clutch is less trouble. The stock z-bars have to be modified for use with the good headers (TTI and Dougs), and even the modified Z-bars barely fit. Any time you have to work in that area it's just another thing that's in the way. And the Z-bars themselves have been known to crack, not to mention the mounting locations on the inner fender/frame. And of course in this particular instance you have to go out of your way to adapt/fabricate a bellhousing that will use a mechanical clutch, because all the off the shelf mopar to T56 bells are for hydraulic clutches. A whole lot of work and no benefit that I see.

Hydraulic clutches are pretty darn simple. Seems like the issues that most folks have with them involve not bench bleeding the system before installation, or improperly setting the clearance on the throwout. And the latter is an issue with a mechanical clutch anyway, it's just the process that's different. With a T56 you can even use an OE Viper slave set up, which is a bunch less expensive than the aftermarket stuff out there and is easily adjusted with available shim packs.

Honestly, I think the only reason people don't like hydraulic clutches is because they don't know how to install and set one up properly.
The only advantage to a mechanical linkage I can see these days is feel. I honestly wouldn't want to live with a multi-disc clutch and a mechanical linkage on the street, but I am old and my knees suck. In all fairness, the hydro retro-fit kits that were being sold 15 or 20 years ago were marginal if not downright miserable to get working right. I can remember a batch of hydraulic throw out bearing I got that were tapped in BSP and were leak nightmares until I figured that out. Then again, I've seen a whole bunch of failed mechanical linkages in my career.

Great discussion!! Our hydraulic clutch has been flawless since the initial build. Lots of fun to drive!! Thanks for you addition to the conversation. TJ
Thank you for your lenience on this old wrench. I don't do this sort of work for a living anymore, but I enjoy watching people being innovative. Good luck with your product, I'll keep watching.

Do you have an exterior side view of the car with the six speed installed?
Do you have an exterior side view of the car with the six speed installed?

48A4A7D2-BC2B-431D-BE39-8CE631304C5E.jpeg

C0EFEA64-12FC-499B-A85F-984065331672.jpeg

0ACAD038-393D-48F7-B40A-65FE239DA808.jpeg

3EE48917-F2EC-49B5-BA5B-850C964040F3.jpeg

3BAF8CC3-26B7-482D-993A-F6C15EDF524D.jpeg

C5A07E5B-76B6-453E-A0D0-147B0C9CF5B8.jpeg

0FFA4FB6-4031-412E-88AE-75F0DC0A2E92.jpeg

B86F5DAD-B46F-4E2D-A210-5A167AA95B02.jpeg

57620514-4AA4-435F-A985-D90753AFC3AD.jpeg

My 69 seen in the pictures has 2” drop front spindles, and full TTI 3” exhaust. The car is quite low.... and if you look closely.... the lowest part is the header section.

It is a fine looking machine. Looks like a clean install, too.

Oh, and for the record, that 4 X 4 stuff cracked me up.

It is a fine looking machine. Looks like a clean install, too.

Oh, and for the record, that 4 X 4 stuff cracked me up.
I was cracking up too.... drop the trans. A couple of inches.... oh my he had no idea!! I have to add also.... the A-body cars.... unless they are something super special will actually be enhanced (value wise) with a transmission swap like this. I really don’t know why some
People are opposed to make modifications like this. To each their own!! Thanks for the kind remarks. TJ

This thread has convinced me that this is the way I want to go on my Dart. Now all I have to do is figure how I'm gonna pay for it!

This thread has convinced me that this is the way I want to go on my Dart. Now all I have to do is figure how I'm gonna pay for it!
You won’t regret it!!! The transformation of my car from the 727 3.91 gears.... to T56 MAGNUM and 3.91 gears is AMAZING!!
TJ

I don't really care. I was just offering known advise. It's a good setup used within its limits. I was highly advised by several NOT to use this transmission behind my LS3 because of the power it makes. More than or as much as some 440s. I have a smallblock cuda's the only reason I'm here,,, and maybe a decent deal on parts now and then. If you hammer it behind a good 440 or a lot of power, you will break it. Also replaced several hydraulic clutch setups over the years. Not good for long term,unless your ride sets in a garage. But whatever, I'm just tryin to help. Just remember if yo take my advice on power you'll be fine. If not I'll never know, but that little voice in your head will keep sayin, he told you so...

I don't really care. I was just offering known advise. It's a good setup used within its limits. I was highly advised by several NOT to use this transmission behind my LS3 because of the power it makes. More than or as much as some 440s. I have a smallblock cuda's the only reason I'm here,,, and maybe a decent deal on parts now and then. If you hammer it behind a good 440 or a lot of power, you will break it. Also replaced several hydraulic clutch setups over the years. Not good for long term,unless your ride sets in a garage. But whatever, I'm just tryin to help. Just remember if yo take my advice on power you'll be fine. If not I'll never know, but that little voice in your head will keep sayin, he told you so...
I’m not sure if you read my reply. Totally different transmission! Not comparable! For what it’s worth, I have been doing this for 40 years!
The MAGNUM is the transmission that is behind all the high horsepower cars. ZL1, ZR1, SRT, CTSV.
Your advise was about the T56.... NOT the MAGNUM.
I suppose your LS3 is making somewhere in the 400-500 HP range.
My smallblock is dynod at 615 HP. This transmission is rated in excess of 700HP and 700 ft/lbs of torque.
Hydraulic clutches are just fine, if you set them up correctly. Most failures are a result of poor installations.
You gotta do your research, you need to make sure the things you say are accurate and appropriate to the existing conversation.
ALL of your comments are inaccurate, and incorrectly applied to the WRONG transmission, and apparently you STILL don’t see that.
Good luck all the same. TJ

I’m not sure if you read my reply. Totally different transmission! Not comparable! For what it’s worth, I have been doing this for 40 years!
The MAGNUM is the transmission that is behind all the high horsepower cars. ZL1, ZR1, SRT, CTSV.
Your advise was about the T56.... NOT the MAGNUM.
I suppose your LS3 is making somewhere in the 400-500 HP range.
My smallblock is dynod at 615 HP. This transmission is rated in excess of 700HP and 700 ft/lbs of torque.
Hydraulic clutches are just fine, if you set them up correctly. Most failures are a result of poor installations.
You gotta do your research, you need to make sure the things you say are accurate and appropriate to the existing conversation.
ALL of your comments are inaccurate, and incorrectly applied to the WRONG transmission, and apparently you STILL don’t see that.
Good luck all the same. TJ

30D4996C-D247-49EF-86FC-6614A285D6C7.png

You are wrong.

You are wrong.
Only repeating what I've been told and my personal rebuilds and experiences. OH yea, you know what I've done don't you?.. Lmao. This site is sometimes such a joke. What is it they say,,, you can lead a horse to water,,,, but,,, cut your floor, put in your t56. I think the op made a decent product and put a lot of time into it. But I promise you, you will break it used anyways near its specs . If a 5.7 liter/347 ci LS1 can a high torque mopar will. You don't have to believe me, look it up. Some people are so f,,,n stupid. Kinda like the ones that thought Billybeer was so great....

Only repeating what I've been told and my personal rebuilds and experiences. OH yea, you know what I've done don't you?.. Lmao. This site is sometimes such a joke. What is it they say,,, you can lead a horse to water,,,, but,,, cut your floor, put in your t56. I think the op made a decent product and put a lot of time into it. But I promise you, you will break it used anyways near its specs . If a 5.7 liter/347 ci LS1 can a high torque mopar will. You don't have to believe me, look it up. Some people are so f,,,n stupid. Kinda like the ones that thought Billybeer was so great....
LISTEN VERY CLOSELY!!!!! That is NOT the transmission that they put behind the LS1.
I cant make it any clearer for you. It is a completely different transmission!! Every part of it!!!
You need to realize this and stop making foolish remarks!! It lessens your credibility!!

I have personally installed LS9s, LS7s, LSAs, LS1s, 2s, and 3s. I've installed some healthy LSXs, and a couple of brutes from Mast. I've used TKOs, T56s and the Magnum transmissions. I didn't just hear someone talk about it. I've done it. I made a living at it.
Does stuff break? Sure. I've seen about any transmission out there broken at one time or another. I've also seen more broken mechanical clutch linkages than you will ever work on.
What you are implying is wrong. Your passive aggressive attenpts at insults are weak and uncalled for. Please, either be constructive or just leave this thread.

I have personally installed LS9s, LS7s, LSAs, LS1s, 2s, and 3s. I've installed some healthy LSXs, and a couple of brutes from Mast. I've used TKOs, T56s and the Magnum transmissions. I didn't just hear someone talk about it. I've done it. I made a living at it.
Does stuff break? Sure. I've seen about any transmission out there broken at one time or another. I've also seen more broken mechanical clutch linkages than you will ever work on.
What you are implying is wrong. Your passive aggressive attenpts at insults are weak and uncalled for. Please, either be constructive or just leave this thread.
Yes.... what HE SAID!!! AMEN! Pass the Tylenol.

I've seen your facebook page - really like it, will probably purchase in the near future! Great to go with my suspension and EFI to have a T56 Magnum! Read through the guide a few times as well . Since it seems to me that you're selling only the crossmember kit - which is the most difficult part, IMO, maybe you could help clear up some of my other questions.

For the pilot bearing - is there a special one needed with the Ford T56 Magnum? I know the LS motor ones are smaller than Mopar, but it's hard to find info on the Ford one. Also on the clutch - since I have an A-833 already, is it possible to change only the disk in my Centerforce Dual Friction?

Thanks!

I've seen your facebook page - really like it, will probably purchase in the near future! Great to go with my suspension and EFI to have a T56 Magnum! Read through the guide a few times as well . Since it seems to me that you're selling only the crossmember kit - which is the most difficult part, IMO, maybe you could help clear up some of my other questions.

For the pilot bearing - is there a special one needed with the Ford T56 Magnum? I know the LS motor ones are smaller than Mopar, but it's hard to find info on the Ford one. Also on the clutch - since I have an A-833 already, is it possible to change only the disk in my Centerforce Dual Friction?

Thanks!
Hello! Thank you for checking out our FACEBOOK page.
We ordered all of our parts, and got lots of technical info. from Bruce at Modern Driveline. He is very very smart about the details you are asking about. I have also dealt with SST. They are super wonderful to deal with, however, I have never asked for any technical information from them.
I believe, whoever you order the transmission from should be able to give you the specific answers you are looking for.
I hope this helps, and I look forward to working with you soon!

Todd
ToddRon Restorations.

-
Back