Insurance Hagerty/Grundy ??

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Heres my deal. I had an 09 jeep with computer issues, was going to cost more to fix that what I felt it was worth ..so I sold it. And bought a truck I could work on 1964 mopar.
We have a 2002 PT Cruiser that is driven most of the time the wife and I go places (store/dinner, etc).
But the 64 it kind of my (daily ?)part time driver when I would go to auto parts store/ hardware store/ and any place I may need to go, if the wife is out in the PT.
So wanting to insure my A100. Will I have any problems with Hagerty/Grundy ? The 64 is always in locked garage/ only driven by myself/ may see 3000 miles a year. Oh and I'm retired ( don't drive to work every day).
So do any of you use your cars in this fashion ( as a part time drive,and never in the snow) Who insures your part time driver, and does not give you any flack about it ??
Also what about rate increases ???

They will want you to have another daily driver. You could probably list the PT but if you ever had a claim, they could make your life miserable.

Who insures the 64?

If it were me I would go Hagerty, they are pretty flexible IMO. Don't give them any voluntary info, just answer their questions. You will need a daily driver, which you have, with current insurance on it. They also require it to be garaged, and may ask for pictures. What I did was put my car in the garage and took a couple of it in there.

They don't have a problem with casual driving like Grundy did when I checked with them

You might get a discount if you put the A100 and the 64 together on a policy. You will also want to put a value on them, they will agree to it as long as it isn't way high, if it is they could ask for an appraisal.

Look into ANPAC-Chrome. Your Cruiser would be considered a daily driver so driving your A100 a few thousand a year shouldn't be a problem. They don't have restrictions where you can drive your collector car. tmm

http://www.anpac.com/classic-car-insurance/

There's a ANPAC agent in Canton. They handle my house insurance too and I get a discount/refund if I have car and house insurance with them and no claims for 2 years. http://www.anpac.com/find-an-agent/AgentLocator/AgentList?type=CityState&value=OH&value2=CANTON

I have had 0 issues with Grundy so far. They have my 73, and both motorcycles. you do need to let them know you have a regualr daily driver for paper purposes.

Had to file a tow claim this morning, emailed the receipt 5 minutes later told it was being processed. No Questions.

I have had 0 issues with Grundy so far. They have my 73, and both motorcycles. you do need to let them know you have a regualr daily driver for paper purposes.

Had to file a tow claim this morning, emailed the receipt 5 minutes later told it was being processed. No Questions.

Good to hear you have had good luck with them. When I called them they pretty much told me I couldn't drive my car. WTH?!?!?

The only way I could drive it is if it were to a car show, parade etc. If I just wanted to go out on a nice fall day and cruise around, NOPE, you can't do that.

Parking it in outside a restaurant while you go in to eat, or in the parking garage at work = the car is left unattended and not in a locked garage, and that is something they don't cover. If you take it out and cruise and don't leave it unattended, so long as it's less than 2500 miles, and I think you're good. If I couldn't cruise in mine I'd tell that insurer to stuff his policy.

AAA has classic insurance also. It's cheaper and they have custom paint coverage too that allows you to cover your new paint job that is included and you set the price, but they are stricter on appraisal you give

AAA has classic insurance also. It's cheaper and they have custom paint coverage too that allows you to cover your new paint job that is included and you set the price, but they are stricter on appraisal you give

Yeah, I wouldn't trust them. A lot of the bigger companies like AAA are trying to get in on the market, but a lot of them offer stated value.

If anyone values their ride, stated value is something to run from, and fast.

I must have made this confusing my A100 pickup is a 1964. It's only one vehicle a 1964 dodge A100 pickup. post did make it sound like two different vehicles Sorry.

I must have made this confusing my A100 pickup is a 1964. It's only one vehicle a 1964 dodge A100 pickup. post did make it sound like two different vehicles Sorry.

Oh, just one. I assume you don't drive it in the winter.

I would call one of your choice, I recommend Hagerty, and I'll bet that you can insure it rather inexpensively.

Just put a value on it before you call, you say it's garaged so that's covered, depending on the value I'd bet less than 200 a year.

Kinda just went thru this.
Wound up insuring with GEICO. I'm using my Duster as a casual driver, not a daily, but once or twice a week thing. Hagerty found out, dropped me like a dirty rag. The car never gets driven in foul weather, or at night unless I'm at a show, but it was being used as an extra car now and again. Figure I'm not running a museum, I'm going to drive my car. Take my granddaughter to cheer leading, karate and out to eat in it, stuff like that. Called GEICO they put me in a full coverage policy that would take care of what I needed. I explained the car was more than just a 40year old used car, that it had a real value. They said they understood that, and that's why they were able to offer full coverage and not just liability. So, I'm a policy that lets me use the car as I please, for not much more than what I was paying Hagerty. The premium is about $40 more a year, but without all the mileage crap.

I'm using my Duster as a casual driver, not a daily, but once or twice a week thing. Hagerty found out, dropped me like a dirty rag.

I would be curious as to how they found out.

Did you get a ticket or something while out driving around?

Kinda just went thru this.
Wound up insuring with GEICO. I'm using my Duster as a casual driver, not a daily, but once or twice a week thing. Hagerty found out, dropped me like a dirty rag. The car never gets driven in foul weather, or at night unless I'm at a show, but it was being used as an extra car now and again. Figure I'm not running a museum, I'm going to drive my car. Take my granddaughter to cheer leading, karate and out to eat in it, stuff like that. Called GEICO they put me in a full coverage policy that would take care of what I needed. I explained the car was more than just a 40year old used car, that it had a real value. They said they understood that, and that's why they were able to offer full coverage and not just liability. So, I'm a policy that lets me use the car as I please, for not much more than what I was paying Hagerty. The premium is about $40 more a year, but without all the mileage crap.

That's about what I'm going to do. Go to auto parts store, maybe DR office, Lowes, visit friends, not going to drive it every day, never in snow. Always in locked garage, last speeding at age 17 (I'm 56) retired , so wont be driving to work. But like you said I bought this thing to drive. I'm not going to be told.....Oh Sir you cant drive your car unless it's the 4th of july in the parade and then you must sit in all day...don't even think of stopping by you best friends house... cause we will not cover you car... BS.
Right now I have Allstate...and I can DRIVE MY VEHICLE anytime, anywhere, but I just worry about what if........

I just had a conversation with my rep at Hagerty today, about upgrading my policy and adding unlimited road coverage.

He did say if you are using it every single day to run errands, go to work etc then yes they don't like that. BUT, he also said they have no way of knowing unless the owner says too much when talking with them on the phone. Hence my previous comment about not volunteering any information. He also told me that if you are running to the store or something like that occasionally, no issues with that. Basically they don't want it to be used as a daily driver.

He said they encourage you to drive it, they also don't have any real restrictions on mileage, unless you are putting 15 thousand a year on it, then they consider that a daily driver.

The whole thing really depends on how much you reveal, I have always told people to answer their questions and SAY NO MORE, that's what can bite you with any of them.

I just had a conversation with my rep at Hagerty today, about upgrading my policy and adding unlimited road coverage.

He did say if you are using it every single day to run errands, go to work etc then yes they don't like that. BUT, he also said they have no way of knowing unless the owner says too much when talking with them on the phone. Hence my previous comment about not volunteering any information. He also told me that if you are running to the store or something like that occasionally, no issues with that. Basically they don't want it to be used as a daily driver.

He said they encourage you to drive it, they also don't have any real restrictions on mileage, unless you are putting 15 thousand a year on it, then they consider that a daily driver.

The whole thing really depends on how much you reveal, I have always told people to answer their questions and SAY NO MORE, that's what can bite you with any of them.

Monty python " Wink wink Know what I mean nudge nudge , say no more,
SAY NO MORE"

If it gets stolen it better be from your locked garage, otherwise forget it. If you wreck it between the hours of 7 to 6 (when most are either commuting to work or going home) you'd better have a good story cooked up. Insurance companies ain't dumb, and have figured out most ways people try to cheat them. That's how they stay in business. They usually have no qualms about paying on a legit claim, but if it stinks even a little they will know.

My understanding is that you need a separate daily driver car listed on your regular insurance policy for EACH licensed driver in the household, before Hagerty will insure a classic. If you only have the PT Cruiser and your 64 A100 Pickup, you won't qualify as far as I know......

When I talked to Hagerty last year, they required the car only be driven to shows and cruise ins and could absolutely not be driven anywhere as a daily driver (work, store, etc.). That and it had to be garaged at all times. They keep the cost down by reducing the likelihood of an issue. I went with a more local company and had to turn in a statement that they approved saying I would drive the car periodically.

You can get the classic insurance and drive it everyday, but they won't cover a claim if they found out you were driving it outside of their policy requirements.

Try giving ACI American Collectors Insurance a call. I have my Scamp and my Charger with them. Good annual rates and you can set the value of your car with full coverage for no problem.

When I talked to Hagerty last year, they required the car only be driven to shows and cruise ins and could absolutely not be driven anywhere as a daily driver (work, store, etc.).

That simply isn't true, I drive my car to the store occasionally, I just jump in and go for a cruise with no intended destination etc. I have told my agent that and he said that is perfectly fine.

As far as the store and other things, the key word is occasionally. They do not want it driven as a daily driver, like we would our other cars.

That's not what the agent told me. I said I would drive the car to work occasionally and the person said that you can only drive it to shows and cruise ins and it has to be garaged at all other times. Maybe you got a better agent. :)

Good post, I have Haggerty with no issues, have 5 cars insured with agreed value, what would scare me with Gieco, Allstate etc. they say you have full coverage but when your 72 Dodge gets totaled it's only worth $300. Unless it's in your policy to pay agreed value your screwed. I had a fuel issue with one of my cars and it had to be towed twice, not once did Haggerty ask me where I was going or coming from, they just sent a flatbed.
72 Dart 383
65 Cadillac S/S
84 Camero
77 Corvette
2010 Challenger R/T

-
Back