Intermittent Backfiring After New Head Gaskets

-

vynn23

Reaction score
First, I SUCK at diagnostics. Been wrenching/reading for decades, but I’m just not smart enough to do much more than replace parts until the problem goes away or gets better. But I’m out of ideas here.

My car is a ‘67 Dart, 273 (former 2bbl) auto, stock aside from an SP-2P intake, 500 cfm AVS2 carb, Pertronix converted/Halifaxhops-recurved distributor. Was running absolutely FLAWLESSLY and strong, aside from the fact that it ran hot (200-210 degrees), and very slowly lost water fm the cooling system over time (even w/a coolant recovery bottle). Oh, and it wouldn’t rev beyond about 3500, which I figured was the tiny intake, but more on that later. Saw a few bubbles little in the radiator, top hose usually felt ready to burst. So I assumed one or both head gaskets were compromised, and decided to check the heads for warpage. During teardown, found a few spots of greenish corrosion on the block at the corners where it meets the heads, and figured I was on the right track.

Checked the heads, slid a .005 feeler gauge in a few spots. Took them to the machine shop. They confirmed warpage, and took .008 off to clean it up. Also did a valve job and replaced the valve springs (which were under 50 lbs! That explained the unwillingness to rev, but the car is a cruiser, so I hadn’t really missed it).

Got a pair of the “good” 1008 Fel-Pro head gaskets, put everything back together, torqued everything to spec, adjusted the valves cold/loose for initial start-up, got the engine started, adjusted the valves hot, got the timing set at 16 degrees (same as before). (Distributor did come out to access the rear intake bolts, but went back in the same orientation pointing the same direction).

Runs rough now. Backfires/pops sporadically at idle, and WAY worse when driven. #8 and #6 don’t seem to be firing. If I pull those plug wires, there’s no change. I confirmed spark from those wires, and even replaced the plugs w/new ones I had. Temp gun says #8 is 100 degrees less than the others. I replaced the distributer cap and rotor with new Bluestreak parts, and the plug wires are Taylor Spiro-Pro’s purchased a few years ago.

I feel like the backfiring is probably a huge red flag/clue to smarter folks than me, but I can’t figure it out what it means.

(Oh, and to top it all off? The temp still sits comfortably at 200-210 with a 180 thermostat. But at this point, I’m not focused on the temp at all. I just want it to run like it did before teardown so I can drive it with my son.)

It’s got 60 psi of oil pressure. Haven’t done a compression test, since it ran SO well prior to the teardown, but the rockers are all rockin’, the pushrods are rotating, and the valves adjusted fine (not my first rodeo there). I’m at a loss.

What am I missing? Thanks for enduring this novel and any ideas — I wanted to make sure I provided all relevant info.

First thing I'd be looking at, then triple checking is the plug wire firing order, a couple could be misplaced.
Then I'd check valve lash hot, a tight one will pop .
Unless you know the rads been done, shoot the temps on the top and lower rad hoses, should be 50*+ difference, 30* very min.
Good luck.

I agree with the above. I think that's a firing order issue. You've got two crossed.

IMO 6 and 8 would be easy to cross, at the head.
Compression test on the 6 and 8
If lower than the others,
Lash them loose and see what happens

Oh crap, I missed the video
Forget what I said;
I believe you have a valve sticking in the guide, and you gotta fix this asap.
Put a vacuum gauge on it, it will tell you right away. Well maybe not cuz I'm pretty sure that at least one exhaust valve is shooting blanks. But the compression test should show it.
I went back and listened again.
IMO the idle is dead steady so not sure about the valve thing.
Ima thinking that popping could just be accumulated fuel in the exhaust system, catching fire, which shouldn't be there. But the only way to get it to pop is to light it on fire in the presence of oxygen, which should also not be in the exhaust pipe. Sooooooo before I would do anything, I would check the exhaust system for leaks, up close to the engine.
If I'm right
You might be able to/should be able to hear and see that same pressure spike escaping at the point of leakage, whether it be at the head, or at the manifold to pipe interface . If you find it, you still gotta figure out where the fuel is coming from, rather, how it's getting in there. I mean we know where it's coming from, lol. Now, we're looking for missfires and I just don't hear any.
Are your duals full length?
Any cross-over?
IMA Thinking a compression test might still tell something.

What cam is in there?
sounds pretty good whatever it is.

Those FelPros are 039 compressed and 8.6cc IIRC. That hurts a bit, being equal to almost a half a point of compression over the factory originals........ which there's no sense in talking about, cuz you can't get them anymore......

Last edited:
That “good” 1008 Fel-Pro head gasket didn't help matters either.
They're not for a 273...
Pictured here is what a 360 Head Gasket looks like on a 273 block.

1008.jpg

That “good” 1008 Fel-Pro head gasket didn't help matters either.
They're not for a 273...
Pictured here is what a 360 Head Gasket looks like on a 273 block.

View attachment 1716291157
You know I forgot all about that. That'd be enough for me for a tear down and get the right gaskets on it.

that gasket size discrepancy by itself is pushing 2cc

BTW
a coolant recovery bottle, in order to work as a recirculator, has to have a special rad cap and and a hose running down to the bottom of the recovery tank. The idea is that, as the engine cools down, and the coolant with it, the contraction of the coolant will pull the stuff from the expansion tank back in.

However, your 273 should NOT be running hot unless it has a cooling system failure. Advancing the timing is not the answer, but is only a temporary band-aid. Just maybe the head gaskets/warped heads were the cause, that remains to be seen.
If your overheat issues go away, then you can use the top 1inch or so of the top rad-tank as your recirculator, just as the factory did.

Last edited:
^^^ This, meaning Don't Fill the Rad all the way to the top. Correct?
Yeah, leave an inch of space.
If you don't leave enough, the radcap will release whatever is too much.
Yeah it makes a mess, lol, so put a bucket under the rad until it's finished fussing.

BTW
We're talking about classic cars here, that have oversize top tanks.

If your more modern car was born with a recovery system, let it be.

Last edited:
First off, thanks, folks. Y'know how oftentimes it's something simple...? After two weekends of frustration in 100 degree Texas heat...

Turns out, even though I had the plug wires clearly marked before tear-down, the passenger side plug wires were installed by my (still learning) 16-yr-old son. So either I marked the wires incorrectly when I disassembled it (always a possibility), or he mixed 6 & 8 up. She purrs like a kitten again!!!

As far as the head gaskets, I realize the 1008's are the 360 bore size. Pretty sure the correct 273 3.625" bore head gaskets are damn-near unobtainable, and have been for some time. Although I'd LOVE to have the 3.625" gaskets, I'm not having Cometic make me a set for a quiet cruiser. The previously-installed gaskets I found during tear-down were Fel-Pro 521 SD's, also for the larger bore, and it ran fine (except for the high temp). Did my research, and several members here have been using the larger bore gaskets on their 273's without issue, so that's what I was going by. Based on the cost difference, my hope was that I'd have better luck with the 1008's than the 521 SD or 8553 PT. My parts choices have been made solely for reliability and as much fuel economy as I can get, thus the tiny-runner SP-2P and 500cfm AVS2 (which, in my opinion, have turned out to be spectacular for the intended use).

AJ/FormS, the cam is stock 2bbl 273 solid lifter. Although the (true) 2" dual exhaust predates my ownership of 20 years so I can't speak to the mufflers, it's much quieter and tamer with the correct firing order. :)

Even though this thread is NOT about the high temp issue I've been chasing: Coolant recovery is a homemade sealed-cap bottle with the correct vented radiator cap. Radiator is a year-old Wizard with a (beautiful) hand-made shroud that I paid dearly for. Fan is 18" mechanical located halfway inside the edge of the shroud with a year-old Hays "short" fan clutch. Again, if it wasn't confirmed from multiple temp gauges I've tried that show the exact same temp, you'd never know she runs hot.

She's run like a Swiss watch since I installed Ray's recurved distributor and replaced the cheap plug wires with Taylors. I've driven/owned several 318's and a few 360's over the years, but this is my first 273, and I'm shocked by the bottom in torque this little thing makes with this intake and carb. Can't wait to put the valve cover back on and button up a few details to see what she'll do above 3500 rpm with brand-new valve springs. That's not the priority, but now I'm a little curious...

FABO for the save again! Thanks again for everyone's help on this. I've learned a TON from you guys over the years.

-
Back