is this a real demon?

-
I've spent my life in NY, NJ, and PA. I have seen 2 Demons in my life. A friend of mine spent years looking for one and then bought and restored it right before he died (a 71). That was the first one I ever saw. The second one was a few months ago at our town's Halloween parade (green 72 340). I have never seen one out in the wild. A million Dusters, but zero Demons.

Exactly. I'm pretty much always "looking", I have some kind of disfunction when it comes to searching the internet for cars. :D I've seen a few Demon projects here in northern California semi-recently that were $2k or less, but all of them were in pretty rough shape. Which is why I bought a '74 Duster and cloned it over to a '71 Demon. Cheaper and easier, believe it or not, to start with a clean '74 Duster and clone it than it would have been to repair any of the Demon's I've seen in the same price range.

Exactly. I'm pretty much always "looking", I have some kind of disfunction when it comes to searching the internet for cars. :D I've seen a few Demon projects here in northern California semi-recently that were $2k or less, but all of them were in pretty rough shape. Which is why I bought a '74 Duster and cloned it over to a '71 Demon. Cheaper and easier, believe it or not, to start with a clean '74 Duster and clone it than it would have been to repair any of the Demon's I've seen in the same price range.
I've got a worse one for you...A 66 Marlin. I've been looking for roughly 20yrs. Only one I've ever seen was my father's. He's been looking for another for about 30yrs.

In 1973, Plymouth built over 300,000 Dusters. In 1974, the number was just slightly short of that. The Demon didn't sell nearly as well, which surely aided in the limited availability we find today.
In 2010, I saw a 2 car deal in the Sacramento craigslist.A 72 Demon and a 73 Dart Swinger. I called too late because the Demon was sold....for $400 ! I did buy the Dart though. It was to be the drivetrain donor. 318/904, disc brakes, doors, electrical stuff, etc.

Yep demons didnt sell well. People were turned off by the name. Once they changed the name you can see sales picked up.

Once they changed the name you can see sales picked up.

Eh, not really. In '73 they sold 79,428 Dart Sports. Yeah, that was more than the 48,580 Demons they sold in '72 but it's still less than the 79,959 they sold in '71. And the numbers went down again from there. Meanwhile in '73 they sold 264,974 dusters. So the sales for the Dodge sport body were never close to the Duster, regardless of what they called it.

All the production numbers are here Production Figures

-
Back