Is this engine recoverable?

-
If you're bored and desperate ...Have some fun...tip the water out, sand paper some 400 grit to knock the crap off and fill it with motor honey...set the idle to 1000 to keep it running in gear and just clunk it for a while.

Yep. I thought about the V8 swap, but I'm still in high school and definitely don't have the time or money for all the necessary modifications.
Put some feelers out on the interwebs. Somebody out there has a running slant that they pulled for a V8. You may be able to get it dirt cheap to near free. Then its drop it in and go. Then if you want to do a V8 later on, you got a running driving car as you save up parts for a swap.

Rusty is right, the chevy guys got it easier, but transdapt and schumacher make slanty K frame to V8 mount swap kits making that K frame a non issue. The boneyards , as well as people all over the interwebs have small block transmissions for sale. Heck, find a running dodge van with the right engine and trans combo and pull it. Load the van full of scrap and get some money out of it when you scrap it.

Your right. Different strokes for different folks, but nothing is more satisfying to me than the dull thud a slant sux makes when I kick it off the back of my scrap trailer. I had a nice 225 out of my 67 barracuda. Nobody wanted it. Even for free. I removed the alternator, carb, distributor, and air cleaner, and scrapped it.
I am ashamed to say what I scrapped back in the 80s when NOBODy wanted Mopar stuff, well not small block anyway...:)

As a Mopar hoarder, (my friends and family call me that) I rarely throw anything away especially engine, transmissions, and rear ends....and lots of other tidbits.
For people that are throwing things away or scrapping them, I go and load them up and take them away for free when I can.
If someone wants some parts, I usually give them away if I don't foresee myself needing it at one point in the future.
I have at least 8 225 slant sixes, 12 318s, 5 360s, 5 383s, 3 400s, and 3 440s.
No 340s or 426 Hemi stuff left or modern engines.
And I will get more as they come across my lap.
Most are just cores, but some are good runners verified by me.
Plus a boatload of manifolds, rear ends, transmissions, brakes, and misc. other parts.
I've been collecting all of this crap since the '80s.

I know most of my stuff will ultimately end up as scrap (because I'm getting older) but I don't care.
It would have been scrapped a long time ago....all of it.... if I didn't try to give it a chance of having a new lease on life and getting passed on.
A lot of guys ask me for a part or a fitting etc. that I got from them years ago.
I say it's yours for free if you pay for the gas and a couple of bucks for my time.

BTW, This also goes for the car bodies that I bought in the early '90s because the local junk yard was crushing them out at $100 apiece.
I bought 25 or so cars whole of just stripped bodies....taking the good with the bad....
The rest I traded for, scrounged, or bought outright.
Some cars over the years I paid good money for, but it was worth it to me.
It's starting to even out, except the shipping and transportation is a killer these days.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it......
lol

Save what you can, they ain't making them anymore.......

Last edited:
I would save alot more cars if I had the property to park things on, or a barn etc. i passed on quite a few cars because I had nowhere to put it. One that comes to mind was a 76 trans am that needed a front clip,but it was nice, had the 400 engine in it...black with the gold eagle on the hood...

Years ago Todd and I would would scrap cars. If they started we would take the air cleaner off put a stick between the seat and throttle peddle. with the motor running flat out we would throw what ever we could find at the carb. Buckets of stones and sand , Dirt . liquids. What ever it would suck in and then run. You would not believe what makes it out the exhaust.

The most indestructible out of all brands and sizes was a 72 duster 318.

The worst was a 455 buick. parts were at the neighbors, Connecting rod cap and part of a rod sticking out of the asphault under the car. Mike would come out of the body shop to see what the racket was and walked back in shaking his head .

Those were the days. 440's would always come out the sides . GM usually out the bottom. Slant sixes would usually always take out the starter and break the trans.

We didn't do many small block mopars or forged crank big blocks.

Fords You wouldn't get to throw anything. They would disintegrate on their own. There were times you didn't even make it out of the car or truck and the fords were coming apart. FE's were the worst . Had one blow the whole oil pan off with most of the pan rail attached.

The driveway was down hill to the road. When it would rain the oil would wash to the road and traffic was always spinning their wheels to make the slight incline.

when we get together and talk about the old days we usually laugh ourselves to our knees,

Years ago Todd and I would would scrap cars. If they started we would take the air cleaner off put a stick between the seat and throttle peddle. with the motor running flat out we would throw what ever we could find at the carb. Buckets of stones and sand , Dirt . liquids. What ever it would suck in and then run. You would not believe what makes it out the exhaust.

The worst was a 455 buick. parts were at the neighbors, Connecting rod cap and part of a rod sticking out of the asphault under the car. Mike would come out of the body shop to see what the racket was and walked back in shaking his head .

Those were the days. 440's would always come out the sides . GM usually out the bottom. Slant sixes would usually always take out the starter and break the trans.

Fords You wouldn't get to throw anything. They would disintegrate on their own. There were times you didn't even make it out of the car or truck and the fords were coming apart. FE's were the worst . Had one blow the whole oil pan off with most of the pan rail attached.

The driveway was down hill to the road. When it would rain the oil would wash to the road and traffic was always spinning their wheels to make the slight incline.

when we get together and talk about the old days we usually laugh ourselves to our knees,
Its funny when I talk with my friends I recently said "yeah those were the days when ya just thought up something crazy to do and you'd just do it...worry about the consequences afterward...":)

Have to say, the car in my avatar had a 440 in it that ran for almost 10 seasons, and when it finally let go after literally thousands of 7k RPM runs. the rods came out the side LOL.

FYI- I have blown the living crap out of a couple 318s too, but usually because the oil pump rod sheared off and starved the motor and destructo presto.

-
Back