Isn't 'Cuda a model, not a nickname?

-

1970dartcustom

of the Moore clan
Reaction score
So I have noticed a few people referring to Barracudas as 'Cudas, but I faintly recall my Dad saying that his car he used to have was a "real" 'Cuda... I took this to mean that his car was a 'Cuda and others were just Barracudas... Yes? No? Maybe so?

This sorta stuff is important to E body owners....as an A and B body owner I kinda like it when those guys get bent outta shape because someone has screwed with their mind and called their Cuda a Barracuda....:)

So I have noticed a few people referring to Barracudas as 'Cudas, but I faintly recall my Dad saying that his car he used to have was a "real" 'Cuda... I took this to mean that his car was a 'Cuda and others were just Barracudas... Yes? No? Maybe so?
Yes cuda was a model the first cuda' was 1969

I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I believe all A body barracudas were, well, barracudas
then at some point when it shifted to the E platform they came out with the 'cuda trim level, which was the high power optioned one
and if I'm not mistaking the next model year (or maybe the one after that) the dropped barracuda all together and called all of them 'cudas

the 69' M code was the first to wear the cuda name

I never call my car anything but a Barracuda. Bad form in some circles to call an A body Barracuda a Cuda, demonstrates a lack of knowlege of the actual mopar family.
Just my humble opinion, not trying to start anything. Sort of like calling a transmission a tranny or a distributor a dizzy------------------Against my better judgment I am posting this--------
Rat--------------

Did the 69 440s have both Barracuda on the rear deck lid & Cuda on the frt fender?

When I was "back in the day" it was accepted "slang" in my circles

Next car show I attend, I'm gonna go outta my way to stir up Cuda owners.

Life is short, and it's my job to entertain myself to the best of my ability!

Did the 69 440s have both Barracuda on the rear deck lid & Cuda on the frt fender?

They did have both barracuda and cuda on the front fenders but no cuda on the rear.

lol, I normally just fly over Michigan....now you might have given me a reason to drop in.

Going to a show soon are ya?? :)

Last edited:
Simply put, Cuda is easier to say than Barracuda just like tranny or dizzy when bench racing or general discussion. It has nothing to do with ignorance or stupidity. Yes, if you're a Mopar person, you know there is a difference between Cuda and Barracuda (all be it not really by much). However, unless you're at a concours event, or selling at Barrett-Jackson, or are just some uptight Mopar snob, really, why should anyone care? Geez.

The term Cuda was first used by Mopar as a trim level for A body Barracudas in 1969 and E-body Barracudas later. Mopar didn't think up the name though because I clearly remember a lot of folks referring to the 64, 65 & 66 Barracudas as "Cuda" previous to 1969. They were probably more frequently called Cuda than Barracuda. A guy that lived a couple blocks down the street from us back in 1967 even had a '65 Barracuda set up as a drag car and he had " Cuda Fish" painted as billboard letters down the side. The Hemi Under Glass in 1965 even had sheet metal on the underside that said Bear Of A Cuda. Mopar just capitolized on the common nickname! I'm guilty of misusing the term as I have CUDA on the license plates of my 64!

Last edited:
69 440 'Cuda was not the only 'cuda that year. 69 was the first year but the 'cuda package also came with a 340 or a 383.

The 340 'cuda will have A56 on the fender tag and the 383 version will have A57. These cars are not to be confused with the formula S which was also available but had many differing options.

There is no real wrong answer. Technically all Barracudas from 1964 were at some point called Cudas by people on the street shortening the name. Eventually they did come out with a "Cuda" model as mentioned but it was a name that came from the slang term for Barracuda. The slang term was around before the model so for Mopar snobs to say that is not a real "Cuda" is just ignorant. If you are referring to a year model that actually has the Cuda as a model then the argument does hold some water. Just for differentiation purposes.

I hate Mopar snobs. They are worse than Corvette snobs.

Plymouth adopted the nickname 'Cuda because the owners of 1st and 2nd generation Barracudas started calling them 'Cudas.....

I call mine a 'Cuda because it's shorter and easier. Just like they started way back in 1964...

Jeff

My first Mopar was a 65 Barracuda 273 4spd. We did call that one the Barracuda. Even tho I have an A body GTS and some B bodies, I now, also have a 70 'Cuda. Probably be sure to call that one what it is... 'Cuda

Cudas is what you get if you hang around dirty girls....

Wait, that's cooties....

Lol, It's a four letter word that easy to spell! And it can be used in different ways...........
I drive a "cuda"
I cuda had a "baracuda...baricuda......beeracudah".........oh hell, you know!

Just like "pictures" right?
Pitchers.gif

lol, I normally just fly over Michigan....now you might have given me a reason to drop in.

Going to a show soon are ya?? :)

september 23rd, at verhage
ill be the one with the orange "insert brand X name here"

Next car show I attend, I'm gonna go outta my way to stir up Cuda owners.

Life is short, and it's my job to entertain myself to the best of my ability!
LOL They may wonna go out of there way to stir back to best of there ability

-
Back