Issue with brand new truck. Advice on how to proceed?

-
A friend bought a new F350 crew cab power stroke. Transmission dropped at 13,000 miles. Windshield wiper motor died in a rain storm at 15, 800. All four tires had to be replaced as they were defective. Two window regulators have also been replaced. The stereo mysteriously turned on in the driveway, without the key, and ran the battery down.

The ford/dodge argument will never end. all I know is my 12' 3500 ram will run any Diesel Ford off the road, now and in 10 years. Just look at the $600 million or so in lemon claims against Ford Diesels, VS claims by Cummins customers against dodge. If you go to the local Cummins shop in Phoenix, there are ford trucks sitting around waiting to be converted to Cummins drivetrains.
You don't see any Dodges around the Navstar companies, or whoever builds the Ford Diesels. It costs 10k just to do the heads on a 2012 Ford, as they have to remove the cab from the chassis to work on the engine. What a joke that is.

You forgot Focked Over Rebuilt Dodge.
You better knock on wood when you say that lol
Let me know when you get close to 350,000 then we'll run em!
3 things guaranteed on dodge trucks;
Trans failure
Paint peel or just rust
Dash cracks
That's the tip o' the iceberg and speaking from experience!
Things guareented on ford;
Damn sure know what brand of glow plugs you're putting in them!
HPOP seals
On auto 4wd convert to manual hubs ASAP!
I choose ford trucks and know my issues
I've owned dodges and know they're issues.
If you're driving a dodge truck and think they're perfect (or if think any brand is perfect), you are a jester in court wondering who the fool is.

Got back after dark, pics tomorrow. Dealer also called me and requested that I come in and let his body shop take a look at it, again... Told me I could trade it if that's what I wanted. Wonder what kind of "spectacular" show he'll put on for me tomorrow.

Trans failure
Paint peel or just rust
Dash cracks
HPOP seals
If you're driving a dodge truck and think they're perfect, you are a jester in court wondering who the fool is.
No way, seven Diesels in 20 years. The only reason ford transmissions last is because they don't put out any torque until around 2500 rpm. The, Cummins puts it out at 1500+ Never have I lost a transmission, but I blew off many a ford pulling through the Mountains. Granted, the old 90's were good for their time, but they are gone. Eight Injectors, glow plugs, and they go out one at a time. with no notice. The new ones are absolute junk, why else is everyone suing them for the junk they are? The area is full of 350,000 mile Cummins, junk yards are full of old Fords.

I don't see anybody filing suit against Cummins.

Trans failure
Paint peel or just rust
Dash cracks
HPOP seals
If you're driving a dodge truck and think they're perfect (or if think any brand is perfect), you are a jester in court wondering who the fool is.

I have a 93 Dakota, going strong at 400,000 + Its been hill climbing, mud bogging, wagon pulling, tire squeeling and off roading. Never been rebuilt.

Got back after dark, pics tomorrow. Dealer also called me and requested that I come in and let his body shop take a look at it, again... Told me I could trade it if that's what I wanted. Wonder what kind of "spectacular" show he'll put on for me tomorrow.

He'll probably tell you he can't give you as much as you paid for it because the hood is damaged. I think it got damaged being shipped to him, and the delay in delivery was to get it fixed. He may have gotten it way cheap because of body damage and patched it up quickly. Maybe not in the dealerships body shop, but somewhere.

After the heat of the moment has died down, many new cars come in damaged, and they get fixed without the Buyers knowledge. it is a fact of life. in your case you saw it, but it happens all the time. it is your choice to pursue the issue. Every brand and model.

There's exceptions to every example, and pretty much every auto manf is being sued left and right, wait an hour and check it again and theres another thousand lawsuits (letigise world we live in).
As far as conversions, people are putting cummins in everything from rat rods to econoboxes, why, they've made them for many, many, many, many years, and people are on the "diesel kick", the powerstrokes haven't been out as long and are more expensive to buy (at least around here) kind of like the price difference between a magnum and modern "hemi".
I agree there are power band differences, but if you look at the turbo idi's (daddy of the power strokes) they put down power even before the cummins.
Brand loyalty is one thing, but brand blindness always amazes me,
Sorry to ruffle your feathers!
Dodge trucks are perfect with no issues, ever and Santa clause is real!
*Slaps forehead and rolls eyes.*

He'll probably tell you he can't give you as much as you paid for it because the hood is damaged. I think it got damaged being shipped to him, and the delay in delivery was to get it fixed. He may have gotten it way cheap because of body damage and patched it up quickly. Maybe not in the dealerships body shop, but somewhere.

My thoughts exactly Chuck. It's not like he doesn't have connections in the auto world, hell. If I did a favor here and there for a few folks I myself could get a hood touched up off the books for little to zero money.

Like I need to waste any more friggin time on this B.S. I'm supposed to have some days OFF from stress and garbage to spend with family...

I did speak with (get this) a FOURTH case manager after receiving a call to call them back. She had no idea why I was told to call, no notes other than our convo last night, which went about as far as a square tire...

You need to bypass these case managers and go up the chain, if things don't work out tomm.
These case managers don't sound like they have their ducks in a row and are hoping you'll just go away

There's exceptions to every example, and pretty much every auto manf is being sued left and right, wait an hour and check it again and theres another thousand lawsuits (letigise world we live in).
As far as conversions, people are putting cummins in everything from rat rods to econoboxes, why, they've made them for many, many, many, many years, and people are on the "diesel kick", the powerstrokes haven't been out as long and are more expensive to buy (at least around here) kind of like the price difference between a magnum and modern "hemi".
I agree there are power band differences, but if you look at the turbo idi's (daddy of the power strokes) they put down power even before the cummins.
Brand loyalty is one thing, but brand blindness always amazes me,
Sorry to ruffle your feathers!
Dodge trucks are perfect with no issues, ever and Santa clause is real!
*Slaps forehead and rolls eyes.*
I see your point, but the bottom line is Fords are being sued all over the place. Now, go to Panama, you see Cummins 5.9's are pulling ships through the docks. Go to the Suez canal, Cummins. The 5.9 Cummins is the #1 selling Diesel for work in the world. They sell more overseas then ever here. not Ford engines. Ford doesn't even make a Diesel engine, they buy it from an independent. The Ford engines used today are considered Passenger car engines by the U.S. Govt., Right along with the Korean Duramax. The Cummins is the only heavy duty Industrial rated engine in vehicles up to one ton and above rating. See a Ford
Power stroke in a F650-750?

It is a Cummins engine.

Also, I want to keep this conversation in perspective, that friendly discussion is fun, and not Intended to offend anyone!

Valid point, but consider this, around here if I were to purchase a ford truck and equally equipped dodge truck, which is cheaper? The dodge has been for years (not that any of them are inexpensive!)
In fact, it's the reason my dad bought his dodge 3500 cummins over a ford f350, the dodge was cheaper, which is a big selling point for many, many consumers-price.
I haven't checked in a while but it used to be that the ford had a higher resale value.
(Of course they all take a hit on value the sec you buy them)
Do you really not rember the 90's when dodge trucks were dropping trans left and right?
Or the fact that nearly every dodge truck dash cracked?
Or the fact they had paint/rust issues?
(Have an 01 Dakota that started rusting almost day 1 I bought it! It now has more rust than my 69 dart, and that's a lot!)
Just take a look at all the dodge truck part outs! So the "junkyard" excuse could be used on any brand.
Point is, saying again, they all have issues, but given the issues I'll take ford problems over the dodge problems and you're vice versa,
I don't care who ya are, it's not a question of IF but when you'll have problems regardless of brand.
Of course I don't get to choose since I have both and I have to fix both brands.
But I'm strictly referring to the 7.3 not those 6.0 problem-ridden power strokes, I agree with every nasty, negative thing you have to say about the 6.0 lol

The conversation I hope is in all in good nature. The 90's Fords were very good trucks, no doubt. Prior to 94 the regular Dodge trucks were inferior. However, Ford tried to derail the Cummins partnership with Mopar, knowing where it could go. The 7.3 is an excellent power plant, and I'm sure Ford regrets leaving it. But Emissions were a problem. My Brother was a diehard 7.3 Guy, until he drove the 94' Cummins with the five speed. it was over for him. He didn't care about Dodge, he said wherever Cummins went, he went. If Ford built a Cummins truck, he would buy it. Keep in mind Cummins told Dodge how to build that truck, all specifications were to Cummins standards, period. What helps Dodge is the 2014 has a Cummins ever since the the 1993 model. Longevity adds value. Ford has had many different styles, but not one original, and it hurts the reputation.

Yhis should answer most Ford vs Dodge debate... Ford and GM diesels are based off of a car motor... Cummins is a med duty diesel...

Attachments

• user18267_pic2395_1095103445.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 184
I have NO brand loyality with trucks. used for pulling BIG trailers for decades.

people buy the dodge for the cummins.

cummins is a superior engine. just fact. on all counts.

we, the public, get screwed every time we buy a new vehicle, regardless of manu.

the auto behind the cummins. ??? I sent mine( 95 3500) in for rebuild at 165,000 mi. tranny was in fine condition. it was the brain making the converot act up. replaced it with used computer. does fine unless the weather is real cold, then it can act up a little.

P.S. only reason it has auto is the "x" had trouble shifting gears. funny how when we hauled 14 hours straight, I did all the driving?????? while she naped> LOL

The conversation I hope is in all in good nature. The 90's Fords were very good trucks, no doubt. Prior to 94 the regular Dodge trucks were inferior. However, Ford tried to derail the Cummins partnership with Mopar, knowing where it could go. The 7.3 is an excellent power plant, and I'm sure Ford regrets leaving it. But Emissions were a problem. My Brother was a diehard 7.3 Guy, until he drove the 94' Cummins with the five speed. it was over for him. He didn't care about Dodge, he said wherever Cummins went, he went. If Ford built a Cummins truck, he would buy it. Keep in mind Cummins told Dodge how to build that truck, all specifications were to Cummins standards, period. What helps Dodge is the 2014 has a Cummins ever since the the 1993 model. Longevity adds value. Ford has had many different styles, but not one original, and it hurts the reputation.

Of course its all good natured, I'm not looking to "convert" anyone ha and of course drive what you like, we all choose based on our experience.
The 6 cylinder cummins is a good motor, but my old màn's cummins and my ford 7.3 PSD equally loaded, my ford out pulls his cummins on the same grade hill, both stock and both with about the same mileage. granted I have to run more rpm's, and the cummins just chugs chugs slowly up the hill.
But dodge trucks even in 99 early 2000's still had issues with paint peel/rust, trans and dash cracking, so that trend continued after 94. But to make a confession I used to own a 72 power wagon that I adored, still miss it, but also owned a 75 ford hiboy that I loved equally and miss both.
Of course to be fair I think EVERY brand of truck has had trans issues either at some point in the near past or even currently.
I guess the cummins just never really "wowed" me like the 7.3 power stroke, I'd trust both to get the job done but I would choose the ford 7.3 PSD that's me.
As far as how the motors are rated, passenger car, heavy duty, blah blah, I don't care lol, fact is the most I ask from any of my rigs is to pull a car trailer or a hay trailer or a 4 horse slant trailer, etc
And pretty much any of the trucks out there can do that OR should I say they SHOULD be able to handle that, my needs aren't really that demanding, I'm not pulling some gigantic, massive oversized load.
As far as the rods and pistons, apples and oranges, you're comparing a 6 and 8 with a completely different layout so that's a mute point and irrelevant. Or should we compare 225 slanty rods and 340 rods? No.
Another large factor for me is looks, I've never been a fan of the looks of the dodge trucks and prefer the looks of the ford, completely based on personal taste.

[/QUOTE]
Another large factor for me is looks, I've never been a fan of the looks of the dodge trucks and prefer the looks of the ford, completely based on personal taste.[/QUOTE]

Another reason i only own Ford trucks..that and the fact every landscaper tree guy construction company i know has nothing but Fords in their fleet,along with every law enforcement agency too...

My dad hauled cars out of the St.Louis plant...I was thinking GM. During the winter they would give the guys helmets while loading cars on ice covered trailers. Some vehicles would go right off the end over the cab of the truck. They would pull them over to the 'fix it' lot. Yep new cars get damaged.
I think the hood on my F150 was damaged at one time. The paint is going to crap on the hood. One corner was worse than the others.
Course I wouldn't want a damaged truck if I new it. These !@#$ things cost too much money these days to settle for that. They should give a discount for the damaged ones...kinda like seconds.

These pics don't show anywhere near what they really look like. When the sun is out, this area looks like its grey on a silver background.

When my parents had problems with a Dodge years ago and no help from dealer or rep. At the time the chairman of the board was in Detroit. Mom called 411 and got the phone number and called his office and talked to his personal assistant and told them she was going to call every half hour until she talked to him or the problems were resolved. I can tell you it didn't take many calls and rep called and sent them to a Chrysler dealer. When they got there the general manger of the dealer ship met them and said he didn't know who she knew but he was told make her happy or there would be hell to pay. They fixed every problem even though the car was out of warranty. They ended up dealing with this dealer from then on and purchased all their cars from then on. My advise go as high up the food chain as you can and let the **** roll down hill. You will find things work alot better that way. Good luck Bill

Wow are those water spots or is the paint peeling on that entire side???
Pretty color though I bet

The whole right side of these pics is just dirt that got wet, that got dusty again... I haven't had ANY time to get it washed in the last month or so. Drives me a bit nutty.

-
Back