it won't move....

-

Toluene56

Reaction score
Ok... So I finally get the engine and transmission all hooked up in my dart. I hook up all my transmission lines and put 5qts in the pan first, then Fired it up. Engine fires up first shot, runs like a champ. Put the transmission in rev, neut, drive, 2nd, 1st... back and forth. Then put it in neutral and added more fluid 12qts total.(this how i did it with the 727 I built for my powerwagon, except it took 16qts)
But this time... it doesn't shift into gear. The shifter is moving the cable, and the cable is moving the lever on the transmission. Yet it doesn't move, like it's in neutral ALL the time.

I know it's still a little low on fluid and I figure if my 727 took 16qts from dry. then this 904 should take close to that amount from dry as well especially with an aftermarket pan in it.

I have 2 valve bodies one with a shift kit and one without. So perhaps I messed up the installation of the shift kit? If so i'll swap it out and see.

Any Ideas?

ok.. So after running it for a little longer getting it warmed up. It is bleeding to death from behind the torque converter, So i'm assuming the pump seal is shot. But it still doesn't go into gear, the shift lever changes gears but it still spins like neutral. And the since it got all nice and toasty it seems that the dipstick is still showing super full when checked hot and in neutral.

I'm lost. :/

I'm not sure what your problem with the tranny is, but the 904 should only take 15 1/2 pints (stock pan) and the 727 15 1/2 to 18 pints. In your post you list 12 quarts, if that is correct, you have way to much fluid in the tranny and that could be the reason for the leaks and not shifting.

yeah...i'm going to drain some out and see if that helps.. I thought of that about 15 min. ago.. lol.. hopefully it's just a stupid error on my part.

Stupid error on my part.. my little notebook that I write all my capacities in I wrote 13 for the 904 and 16 for the 727... but I didn't write pints or qts... thats what I get for not paying attention.

Anyways the fluid is all good and in the correct quantity. No more leaking.

But it still won't go into gear no lunging nothing.

It's a re-man'd 904 w/ a B&M street/strip kit and a 2800 stall. Last transmission I did with the new converter I put the converter in and then let it idle through the gears for a while and it worked fine.

Could an incorrectly installed shift kit cause it to do this? wrong pressure to the wrong spot, which does nothing?

edit:

I also just checked to see if there is any fluid pumping through the lines to the cooler.. and there is none. Pump bad?

Yes doing something wrong installing a shift kit can cause no drive. But let me ask you this. You say it's an older cable shift trans, right? If so what year is the torque converter for? Your transmission uses an 18 spline converter. They used 18 spline converters up to 1967 then in 68 went to a 27 spline converter. If you bought a converter for a newer trans it'll slide right in but won't engage into the input shaft so it'll act just like it's not hooked up.

That also may be why it's leaking like it is.

since i put the correct amount of fluid in there hasn't been a problem with the leaking. If I remember the transmission was for a 70's duster.

I'm going to swap the valve body today and see if that helps..

I probably just goofed up a check ball or something... I hope

it has a hurst shifter and cable.

If I am following the chain of events correctly it would appear as if you fired up the engine with the tranny dry. This does not sound good.

no... transmission was not dry... 5qts was in the pan...then put into neutral checked and added.

"I hook up all my transmission lines and put 5qts in the pan first," -- first post

LOL.. sorry was in a hurry and got cut off before I could say what.

so valve body seemed to be the issue...

put the other one in it.. and it started pumping fluid through the lines, put it through it's motions.. without the shifter hooked up and the NEut switch shorted and jacked up the rear to make sure it was spinning.

So far so good, when I have more time i'll tear down the other valvebody and see what we missed when we put it together.

Just another learning experience :cheers:

Good deal. I've seen so many guys accidentally put in the wrong converter on the old style transmissions I figured that was it. Glad you got it figured out.

me too.. I really really wasn't lookin forward to pulling the transmission.

-
Back