It's no wonder the Slant 6 is so great!

-

TF360

Reaction score
What makes the legendary Slant 6 so great? Lets hear your comments...

Most of them came with a Forged Crank, and 4 main Bearings (big block sized.)

They are indeed hard to destroy, they were also used as stationary pump engines and ran for years with minimum maintenance.

They used em in Forklifts, Combines, all kinds of industrial applications, And if I'm not mistaken, think the Gemini project to the moon !! :poke:

The only thing I can think of that makes a slant 6 any good, is the cost of a car equipped with one compared to a v8 car. You can get slant 6 cars cheap. That’s a plus right?

To me they are great! Nothing holds a boat in deep water like dragging a /6 off a chain even in the windy-ist conditions.

4 mains is a weak point being the crank is 85 lbs
The head isn't designed for much bigger than a 170/198 cid.
The upgrade parts are pricey compared to v8... the trans needs upgrades from v8 versions once built up... the cheapest intake is around 400+$$$...

They are great... for running along time and getting ok mileage. That's it.

I found any old regular 2 barrel 318 to be just as reliable, often times MORE durable than a slant six

You have to be a die hard to stick with slants and there are a number of us who do.

They are Not fuel efficient, anyone who says they are excellent on gas, I doubt it.

They are Not powerful, even upgrades do not liven them at the ratio of upgrade vs. Output, that an LA gets.

They are EXPENSIVE, I probably could have built 2 360s for what I have into the Slant in my valiant wagon.

Upgrade parts have seemed to have disappeared in the last 10 years and what you do find in 2024 has skyrocketed in price, making the Slant extremely NOT cost effective.

Yet, some of us just love them to pieces just because. Some things in life doesn't have to make no sense lol

Well, It's well documented that they are one of the most reliable engines ever built. Multiple publications have stated this fact; anyway, the thread asks what makes them so great? So, lets hear from the Slant guys

Easy to change the oil filter , & mess with the distributor for that matter.

As a slant six owner I can say that the slant 6 has a certain charm about it, but there are drawbacks.

• Lack off power.
  • It's tall by today's standards.
  • It's heavy.
  • Does not have great head flow.
But there are the pros:
  • Runs smooth.
  • Very reliable, probably because of it's lack of power.
  • Being slow makes it fun sometimes.

I had a 74 Dart slant, A guy I worked with bought a new Buick Skylark (monza ) with a v6 5 speed. Bragged how fast it was for a six. We run em off one day after work down the highway and he couldn't catch me.

I was watching a TV car show where the owner of a 62 was it? 409 Impala was being interviewed and asked WHY he does not dump that 409 and put jn a LS? The owner also is a die hard drag racer. The 409 guy simply said, he likes the engine and working to make it the BEST it CAN be. Sounds alot like a Mopar slant answer. ie Likes the engine, enjoys it for what it is, and working to make it the best it can be!

They just look good. Never thought an engine could be cute but a slant is. It is just easy on the eye if not downright eye candy and the sound is easy on the ears. no other engine makes the same sound. I have a 74 dodge truck with a slant and the truck has a radio delete plate but with that slant, who needs a radio

20240721_145537.jpg

20240721_145545.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back