It's no wonder the Slant 6 is so great!

-
Not really a savings going to a v8 when you have to replace the pan, the trans, the exhaust, the motor mounts and possibly more before you put that first dollar towards buying and building a V8.
I built my 6 with new but very old stock parts mostly from eBay some from rock auto.
NO CHINESIUM CONTENT EITHER!!

I didn't build it up much but I did build it up, most of added costs mare because of the current times ... I did some things to it I've never done in the process of an engine overhaul before, things like ported the head and went back with oversized valves... On which I've had to replace valves during an overhaul, nothing new there, the OS valves didn't cost me hardly much considering I had to replace the valves anyway.
I've had /6s and 318s and 360s that didn't act like other /6's 318s and 360s In remarkably similar cars and trucks to each other.
One would be a dog and the next with same engine trans gear etc wouldn't be.

You can also change the starter without crawling under the car. I've had 4 other slant 6 daily drivers in my life. The vehicles all turned to crap, (Minnesota winters), but the slants all still ran good. Sometimes it's fun to make the best of what you have. Would I rather have a 340 car? Sure, and if I can ever kill the slant 6, I probably will.

I will stop short of calling them bulletproof. I've seen some torn up. Usually, for whatever reason when they throw a rod, it's #5. I don't know if there's a significance there or not. The bottom line is, some people can break an anvil and that's the God's truth.

Post 5 & compared to any other era engine..... nothing, I would never ever put a cent into building one or getting one running... PERIOD

I had a 64 belvedere with a slant, couldn't get out of its own way.

I've had them that way, I've also had a few that surprised me with how they ran.
Id much rather trade 12 sec 1/4 miles with all of today's computerized bullshit and "locked", Big Brother dictated/mandated for the simplicity of a /6 or a carbureted 318 for a daily driver... You'll be sorry when there are none left.
The /6 definitely has a whole lot more value than "ditch fill" or "boat anchor" as some claim
To me you want a boat anchor go find a 454 especially one of the last of them.

I've had them that way, I've also had a few that surprised me with how they ran.
Id much rather trade 12 sec 1/4 miles with all of today's computerized bullshit and "locked", Big Brother dictated/mandated for the simplicity of a /6 or a carbureted 318 for a daily driver... You'll be sorry when there are none left.
The /6 definitely has a whole lot more value than "ditch fill" or "boat anchor" as some claim
To me you want a boat anchor go find a 454 especially one of the last of them.
I guess if I ever need a engine that made enough power to run a welder and compressor on a truck I'd use a slant 6

4 mains is a weak point being the crank is 85 lbs
The head isn't designed for much bigger than a 170/198 cid.
The upgrade parts are pricey compared to v8... the trans needs upgrades from v8 versions once built up... the cheapest intake is around 400+$$$...

They are great... for running along time and getting ok mileage. That's it.
Never seen a problem with the crank.
Rods yes, but cranks no.
The "truck" crank is in the 80's the passenger car crank is in the 70's.

To answer the OP question with rumor only....

There is a post somewhere that the block was over-designed and used excessive thickness and webbing due to the possibility it was going to be an aluminum block. Don't know if its fact, but the block itself is quite a beast.

The unequal runner length of the manifold is helpful for wide range fuel of operating conditions (short runners and long runners) so there is some advantage for even cylinder balance (even though fuel equality is not the same). Some life advantage there.

Combustion chamber flow is basically a u-turn, very bad for higher rpm power but great for regular driving use which gives the durability.

Lastly, no one expects it to be sporty and therefore is driven as such.

Just my 2 cents or less.

RGAZ
1) The aluminum block thing is total wives-tale bullsh*t, still propagated by the Uncle Tonys of the world. Two completely separate, different, & dedicated castings... Member slant six just aquired both an al. 225, & the 1st al. 170 I've ever seen pics of.
2) The 'crossflow over reverse flow' is also bullsh*t, the only bad thing about the system is the exhaust heating the intake in performance apps, & high temp regions stock.
3) At the time, the commitment to the individual runner design(while far from perfect) was a big advantage over every other economy six, & was better than GM's new boxer 6 in the Corvair...
It's hilarious how folks are compelled to chime in with why something sucks, when positive comments are solicited, the Slanty was far & away the best of all the 170ci sixes of the day....when it was a BIG deal.

My friend has two aluminum engines. I should get some numbers and pics

Maybe I should make more of an effort to go around to various V8 threads and piss all over those.

I can have my distributor out in less than five minutes. I also put a 90 degree filter adapter on it. A small drain pain will catch it all. Is that all ya got? lol
Great idea about the filter adapter. I was never keen on how the OE setup allowed all the oil to dump out before I could pull it out of the engine bay!

A v8 guy telling the slant guy he is a dumbass and his engine sucks........would be like the slant guy telling the V8 guy he is a dumbass because he paid $300 for a hooker when any normal human gets sex for free!! :poke: :rofl: :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:
A v* guy telling the slan guy he is a dumbass and his engine sucks........would be like the slant guy telling the V8 guy he is a dumbass because he paid $300 for a hooker when any normal human gets sex for free!! :poke: :rofl: :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
You don’t pay a hooker for sex. You pay her to go away after.

Seen at a car show

20170121_122948.jpg

20170121_122954.jpg

I will stop short of calling them bulletproof. I've seen some torn up. Usually, for whatever reason when they throw a rod, it's #5. I don't know if there's a significance there or not. The bottom line is, some people can break an anvil and that's the God's truth.
can confirm #5

i haven't looked at the oiling schematic in a looooonnnggg time. maybe the answer lies there?

I had a 64 belvedere with a slant, couldn't get out of its own way.
i had a 64 bell with a slant and 3 on tree. while i wouldn't say it was a world beater, it more than held its own for what it was. i could even one wheel peel it if i side stepped the clutch just right.

bought the car at the nats, drove it home with out a lick of trouble. drove it for about a year or so and yoinked the motor for a big block swap to sell the car. i had built up the rest of the car-- suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, interior in that time while leaving the six in there and it was a lovely car to drive that got a lot of attention.

that slant went into another car that had eaten up the #5 cylinder, coincidentally enough.

3) At the time, the commitment to the individual runner design(while far from perfect) was a big advantage over every other economy six, & was better than GM's new boxer 6 in the Corvair...
It's hilarious how folks are compelled to chime in with why something sucks, when positive comments are solicited, the Slanty was far & away the best of all the 170ci sixes of the day....when it was a BIG deal.
i have a falcon with a 170/200 and let me tell you... that log intake integrated into the head is some straight up dog ****. like ford looked at 1930's cars and said: yah, let's just do that but worse.

stock for stock a slant straight up stomps that thing eight ways from sunday and twice on monday.

-
Back