It's no wonder the Slant 6 is so great!

-
I thought I read somewhere that slant design was to lower the hood line of the cars. Great little engines, never really had any problems with any that I’ve owned. They all did exactly what they were supposed to, haul my *** to work and back :thumbsup:
IMG_0285.jpeg
This car started it’s life as a 198 slant. My friend and I used it to commute to school 80 mile round trip for 2 years It’s had a few mods since then runs 10s

What makes the legendary Slant 6 so great? Lets hear your comments...
They are different, reliable, almost indestructible. My supercharged 400+ HP slant six cost about the same to build as a small block. Tons of torque from 1500 to all in by 5500 rpm. A great street engine! At car shows it is a crowd pleaser because everyone else has V8s in their cars.

I wanted to join in a say ''yep they is great'' had several Straight sixes over the years!

65 Dart GT drove it everywhere even at £7 gallon (UK).
Before that a 76 Plymouth Volare wagon, drove that for years too.
Current ride a 64 D200 with a 225 six from a 74 dart GT.
But I was given a 318 64 Poly just the other day and YEP, it looks real nice!

I think the bellhousing in the D200 will take a small-block Poly as well as the six???

IMG_20240727_164425.jpg

Last edited:
I was watching a TV car show where the owner of a 62 was it? 409 Impala was being interviewed and asked WHY he does not dump that 409 and put jn a LS? The owner also is a die hard drag racer. The 409 guy simply said, he likes the engine and working to make it the BEST it CAN be. Sounds alot like a Mopar slant answer. ie Likes the engine, enjoys it for what it is, and working to make it the best it can be!
Beach Boys never made a song about the slant 6.

I had a bunch of slants, took my driving test in one with a three-on-the tree.
Only had one come apart, in my first Duster, kicked a rod out the block on a 120 mph down hill run.
They are good engines, for what they are.
The last one I had was still really smooth, for a stock 76 Duster. The damn thing sat out side all winter, come spring time one pump of the accelerator, it fired up and idled. It was a really sweet driving car, one finger on the steering wheel.

And don't forget, the first Corvette (1953) came with an inline 6-235 cubic inch. I like the Slant!

-
Back