It's no wonder the Slant 6 is so great!

-
1722810029013.png

They used em in Forklifts, Combines, all kinds of industrial applications, And if I'm not mistaken, think the Gemini project to the moon !! :poke:
Your correct, they (nasa) still has cars from the 60’s in a parking lot at the cape. And since the film crews had to get into the middle of the desert to film the moon landing, what’s better than a slant 6…

At the very few shows I've gone to, my current slant Scamp gets much more attention than the NA 360 Swinger I used to have years ago...

As one of the posts above said, I'm having fun working to get it the best it can be.

20240610_211611.jpg

Your correct, they (nasa) still has cars from the 60’s in a parking lot at the cape. And since the film crews had to get into the middle of the desert to film the moon landing, what’s better than a slant 6…
Finally someone caught my joke.

Thanks to my great friend Bruce Budbill (7071DartGTReg) (RIP) I fell in love with the slant six. I wish he was still here. He would absolutely love the engine in Vixen. I miss him everyday, but I'm thankful that he turned me on to slant sixes. I thoroughly enjoy mine and that's reason enough for me.

Last edited:
I have the 225 slant in my 64 Fury 2dr hard top. It will keep up with modern day traffic all day long.But it’s just getting broke in, car has almost 30,000 mi

A
You have to be a die hard to stick with slants and there are a number of us who do.

They are Not fuel efficient, anyone who says they are excellent on gas, I doubt it.

They are Not powerful, even upgrades do not liven them at the ratio of upgrade vs. Output, that an LA gets.

They are EXPENSIVE, I probably could have built 2 360s for what I have into the Slant in my valiant wagon.

Upgrade parts have seemed to have disappeared in the last 10 years and what you do find in 2024 has skyrocketed in price, making the Slant extremely NOT cost effective.

Yet, some of us just love them to pieces just because. Some things in life doesn't have to make no sense lol
AGREE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
my mother had a duster with a slant in it , well taken care of , she only drove it , and it was an oil burning piece of ---- , before its time ...

They just look good. Never thought an engine could be cute but a slant is. It is just easy on the eye if not downright eye candy and the sound is easy on the ears. no other engine makes the same sound. I have a 74 dodge truck with a slant and the truck has a radio delete plate but with that slant, who needs a radio

View attachment 1716285186

View attachment 1716285188
I so agree! I admit I have installed radio delete plates now for probably 25 years at least. Or if I leave the radio in a project, I never even bother to see if it works!!

Especially noteworthy are the plastic distributor gears, and the allways cracking and leaking exhaust manifolds

Nope, oil drips all over the place .

Nope on the distributor too.
I can have my distributor out in less than five minutes. I also put a 90 degree filter adapter on it. A small drain pain will catch it all. Is that all ya got? lol

Details! Details!!!! :poke: :poke::thumbsup::steering::rofl:
I've never in my life seen a slant 6 stop running from a cracked or broken distributor gear. Not one. I've seen some "supposed" ones on the internet and that's about it. Although I'm sure it's happened.

Bulletproof- I drove a Slant Duster in Highschool. Saved money working at Winn Dixie and paid 500 bucks for it with 90,000 miles on the clock. I beat it pretty hard for about two years, and I drove it everywhere. I even pulled a trailer with it. It never missed a tick and didn't smoke. My Dad had a new 1985 Monte Carlo SS and it started smoking at 60,000 miles

I have had many slants, and one thing for sure,,,,, lots of them have extremely POOR maintance. Sorry oil and rarely ever changed!!

You have to be a die hard to stick with slants and there are a number of us who do.

They are Not fuel efficient, anyone who says they are excellent on gas, I doubt it.

They are Not powerful, even upgrades do not liven them at the ratio of upgrade vs. Output, that an LA gets.

They are EXPENSIVE, I probably could have built 2 360s for what I have into the Slant in my valiant wagon.

Upgrade parts have seemed to have disappeared in the last 10 years and what you do find in 2024 has skyrocketed in price, making the Slant extremely NOT cost effective.

Yet, some of us just love them to pieces just because. Some things in life doesn't have to make no sense lol
This nicely sums up my thoughts as well. I am well aware building a slant over a V8 is no cost savings, gets you less performance, and is a lot more expensive to hop up. However I can't help but like them, have built two, and intend to drive them till they drop.

To answer the OP question with rumor only....

There is a post somewhere that the block was over-designed and used excessive thickness and webbing due to the possibility it was going to be an aluminum block. Don't know if its fact, but the block itself is quite a beast.

The unequal runner length of the manifold is helpful for wide range fuel of operating conditions (short runners and long runners) so there is some advantage for even cylinder balance (even though fuel equality is not the same). Some life advantage there.

Combustion chamber flow is basically a u-turn, very bad for higher rpm power but great for regular driving use which gives the durability.

Lastly, no one expects it to be sporty and therefore is driven as such.

Just my 2 cents or less.

RGAZ

I've never in my life seen a slant 6 stop running from a cracked or broken distributor gear. Not one. I've seen some "supposed" ones on the internet and that's about it. Although I'm sure it's happened.
They don't stop running as much as they just don't start back up once the teeth go away. It was a common occurrence on my daily driven hopped up 225

-
Back