It's sad when it's all about the money

-

fixnfab

Reaction score
Just curious to know what you guys (and gals) think about our American Classics being sold and shipped away over seas because the market there brings so much more money. I personally would never sell to someone knowing this was their plan.
fixnfab

I have mixed feelings. The overseas folks seem to be very proud of 'em and any time I come across photos/ vids of 'em in Europe or other places, they seem to have found a very good home. This has been going on for a very long time with all sorts of stuff. 10--15 years ago the Japanese were buying up US amateur radio gear -- Collins, Drake, etc and other than Ten-Tec which is "sorta" made here in the states, you can't BUY any US built stuff anymore.

Every scenario is different. I sold my 72 swinger with 440, fenderwell headers and 3.91's (a real raunchy streetcar) to a young man in Germany. He is learning all about hot rodding with it, he rebuilt the auto himself and he drives it hours on the autobahn (spelling?) to muscle car shows. To me, that is what the sport is all about and I support it!

Attachments

• 417419_385052644888001_390633052_n.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 374
It isn't the best thing, but everything is for sale, for the right price. I remember when I was younger and brokers were buying all the 4x4's in my area of Canada and sending them down to the U.S.A. because they could make a huge profit. It made finding a good 4x4 around here tough and when you did the price was up there. Kinda the same thing and at that time I thought it sucked. So I guess you can only look at the positive side, if there is one, and figure the remaining cars will be worth more due to an even greater decrease in availability.

Just curious to know what you guys (and gals) think about our American Classics being sold and shipped away over seas because the market there brings so much more money. I personally would never sell to someone knowing this was their plan.
fixnfab

It's not only about the money. If someone wants to sell their car that's their business. What's wrong with someone overseas enjoying these cars as much as we do. If I was selling my car I would want to get as much as I can! What's wrong with that!

Is that worse than the buyer crying a sob story about his daddy had one when he was growing up , or it's a father son project. Then you see the same car/part for sale for 2x what you sold it for? I think I'll take them going overseas.

I'd like to see them live on, but, if the buyer wanted to take it to a crusher after purchase, so be it.

I think it is more about people buying these cars, then hoarding a bunch and sticking them away, not driving them etc. But really how is it any different then the guy with some old cars sitting, rotting away because he is going to fix them up one day, and saw one just like it (except it was orange and had a hemi, not green with a 318) on Barrett Jackson?

i was born and raised in a different country, so if i ever had to go back, would it be a bad thing if i took MY car with ME.

just sayin, that you never know the situation and there are car ppl everywhere that would take care of it and apreciate it for what it is.

even though i personally would NEVER take a mopar to my birthplace only bcoz i am not allowed to own property in my district so i would lose it anyway......but if i were a Male the idea would not be out of the question.

you never know the situation and personally i think some of these cars are better off overseas in the hands of a real car person than here in the hands of a broke-A$$ wanna be, who will never realistically do anything with it. LOL

just my .02 but i do agree that it is kinda sad to see them go, since this is their birthplace.

So what some are saying is ONLY north american people should enjoy and own north american cars/trucks.Then if you are of that thinking,the other side of the coin must be true,that you are not allowed to own and drive a BMW or a honda,do you agree.You can,t have it both ways.When you put a FOR SALE sign on the windshield,and a price,and the person agrees,they have to answer a questions sheet to see if you are the right person for the car,and you are not going to take it to another country,and do bad things to it.You have put a price on the car,shut up and take your money.If the car went on BJ and got 4 thimes what you paid,would you ***** that it went to Brazil!!! You would not give a F%$#.Everyone in the world is allowed to enjoy every car made if they have the bucks,not just you,mrmopartech

Ma mopar exported them back in the day.... If someone wants to buy it and it's for sale then away she goes.

fixnfab
So, if I am someone who lives overseas and likes these cars, and want to buy one. I should not be allowed to buy one.

But, If I live in the US and buy it for x dollars and then sell for a profit... That's OK?

Remember, The market overseas involves taxes, shipping...etc. Does it really matter if someone lives in North America, or Europe or Japan or... as long as they like the car and want to give it a new life.

I sold a 1962 300H to a guy in Australia a couple years back, called 12 hours after i posted my ad and gave me asking price, was battling cancer and was looking for a project car. I dont care where it goes as long as the money is real, honestly. just as many people flipping cars over seas as there are next door

I would imagine if someone overseas wanted a classic car bad enough they would be a better candidate/owner than most hipsters that would park it on the street the first time it broke.

Actually, I have been very impressed with the cars on here from oversea's. Some of the restorations are done with such meticulousness. I can not imagine how much harder it is for them to get parts, or the wait for parts. I see nothing wrong with it - preservation is preservation.
You can be assured after all the crap it would take to get one over there it wont be rusting out in the weeds as I see all the time here.

Actually, I have been very impressed with the cars on here from oversea's. Some of the restorations are done with such meticulousness. I can not imagine how much harder it is for them to get parts, or the wait for parts. I see nothing wrong with it - preservation is preservation.
You can be assured after all the crap it would take to get one over there it wont be rusting out in the weeds as I see all the time here.

Agree, ever see Ulf's (65dartcharger) resto thread? He is in Sweden and will have the nicest, most accurately restored 1965 Dodge Dart, probably in the world! All date coded correct NOS or nice used stuff, all the parts have the exact finish as it did when new, crazy detail work....it is very hard for him to find parts. I ship parts every month to him cause sellers refuse to ship overseas, so he ships them to me or I purchase them, I am proud to help him and a great friendship was born too. He also has a 65 Dart Charger conv and a 65 Dart wagon, and loves these cars.

I used to feel the same about cars leaving the USA but my opinion has changes, I sell Mopar parts here and on eBay and they go all over the world so I know I am helping these people out. Sold lots to Australia, Germany, Norway, Finland, Sweden, France....these people love our/their Mopars!!! :glasses7:

Heck, if somebody in Germany bought my Valiant, I would be flattered that someone from half way across the world would cherish it as much as I do!!!

Well, after reading your responses I see things in a different light. That's what makes this place so great. Differences of opinion are a good thing. tmm

I have met some real nice people from places other than USA that love our cars. Spend the time and money to come here and buy cars.

One has bought 4 prowlers and shipped overseas, last 2 he bought one shipped home one left here so he could drive it at the Dream Cruise, then shipped home.

Another bought a 59 Caddy, THESE GUYS ARE CAR GUYS, got to like them, they might have different language, currency but they still love the cars, JUST LIKE US.

If someone has the money and wants my Dart, it will be. Gone, Prowler too, but doubt anyone would come up with the cash it would take for either.

I wouldn't have any problem selling to an enthusiast no matter where they live. I would, however, hesitate selling to someone who wouldn't respect the car. My wife thought i was crazy not to sell my old 68 Dart 2 door sedan to a surfer even though the A bodies are highly prized by that group. It was a pretty nice car and the thought of it sitting next to the ocean during a surf session every day made me shudder.

-
Back