Jeep 4.0 in 69 Barracuda

-
So I totally missed the post by Killer6 over a month ago. Since my last post, I have moved into the house and began the unpacking and clean up process. I am hoping to start digging into this by the first weekend in Oct.

First in the list of things to do is pull out the original engine and tranny, and try selling them.

After the original engine is out and sold, then start the process of mock up to see what it will take to run a 4.0L. Half tempted to cut the engine mounts off the original V8 cross member and see what I can work with there.

John

Killer6,
I used to be a exhaust tech back in the mid to late 90s while in High School and College. I see what your saying, and as much as you are correct. I really don't think it will be that much of a difference. Part of what I am doing is for pure look. And because there are those who said it couldn't be done. So why not prove them wrong.

I really don't want a fake dual tip, the last thing I want is someone to see a kick butt dual tip and expect to see dual then shun away seeing a single pipe. That would end up just being dumb.

I do thank you for your suggestion. We will see how this morphs along the way. But at current time, I plan on a dual exhaust setup.

John

No worries mate!, I simply wanted to clarify the correct science of flow to those
following this so they have the ammo for their own projects. I agree the aesthetic
of the siamese dual system ala BMW etc. looks cool,as does the center exit,tho'
you will have to be creative w/ the spare well rite there. I would also second the idea
of making your own X-pipe as close to the frt. as poss., that would give you the 6
into 2 into 1 benefit and allow for the siamese system.
I didn't remember if the factory "manifold" was the shorty 6-2-1 unit, and planned
on cutting the "Y" section out, then putting flanges on the pair? Later units,and now
most aftermarket units come with flex/expansion sections as they were notorious
for cracking(sure you saw plenty of those), which will probably require some sup-
port bracket .
Glad you're moved in,I'm sure we've all done that for ourselves,friends and our
families.It can be extra challenging for us gearheads!!
To address the carb. & OBD I, carbs are probably more sensitive than any EFI
system,and OBD I all had closed loop adaptive learn. GM's Block learn mem.etc.
The GM's & Fords w/mass air systems have a definite advantage over speed den-
sity systems because they read actual airflow in,not calculate it.Also the OBD I's
Open loop idle AND WOT! This takes out adaptability when WE would like most.
The solution for us OBD I speed density users is the adj. fuel press. regulator.
Dial up the press. to compensate for flow improvements etc., and the closed loop
operation will dial back the injector duty per the O2 sensors input at normal drive
conditions, usually within it's parameter's unless you make a drastic change,read
big cubes, super headwork etc. The Grand National guys lived on that method w/
stock system use.You only need a scanner & watch O2 readings at WOT,then adj.
I'm excited to see your progress on this,keep us posted!! :coffee2:

To address the carb. & OBD I, carbs are probably more sensitive than any EFI system,and OBD I all had closed loop adaptive learn. GM's Block learn mem.etc.
The GM's & Fords w/mass air systems have a definite advantage over speed den-
sity systems because they read actual airflow in,not calculate it.Also the OBD I's
Open loop idle AND WOT! This takes out adaptability when WE would like most.
The solution for us OBD I speed density users is the adj. fuel press. regulator.
Dial up the press. to compensate for flow improvements etc., and the closed loop
operation will dial back the injector duty per the O2 sensors input at normal drive
conditions, usually within it's parameter's unless you make a drastic change,read
big cubes, super headwork etc. The Grand National guys lived on that method w/
stock system use.You only need a scanner & watch O2 readings at WOT,then adj.
I'm excited to see your progress on this,keep us posted!! :coffee2:

So in this case, I am running all Jeep. Including Fuel injection. Mainly due to how simplified it is. The only challenge was dealing with the O2 sensor. But installing the X pipe solved that as it gave me a single point for a single O2 sensor for the ECU. And I still get my dual exhaust system.

So I took a couple of pictures which will be posted hopefully by the end of the night.

John

Hey, this thread is no longer useless.... Pictures are here.

I broke down and created a photobucket account.

So this is the only decent picture of the house that I have.

Which was taken just after purchasing as we were bringing in the first load.

Now to what we have been waiting for, not that its all exciting as I am sure everyone has seen a 69 Barracuda.

But what I am excited about is the condition of the shell. The floor boards are in great shape...

So here is a shot of the Engine which will be going in. For those who know jeeps, they will be squirming as they notice the tranny which is attached. Its a BA-5 (or 10 don't recall) which is not sought after. In most cases it becomes a boat anchor. I suspect that since this is not a jeep and not going to be seeing the same stresses as a jeep, that it may be Ok. And more so, I will bring better pictures of the tranny, you will notice how small it is. So much that it looks like I can install it with out opening up the trans tunnel. Ignore the wiring, that's out of a 88 Cherokee which had a Renix fuel injection. That whole setup is being removed in favor of the YJ era Wrangler H.O. fuel injection setup.

A simple picture of the front end of the car. Notice that I have a 67/68 hood. I was not all that happy with the 69 front end and was lucky enough to get my hands on the 67/68 hood and grills from the prior owner who sold it to me.

And here is a clean picture from the rear passenger corner

Yippie, this thread is no longer useless. Now for the real meat to begin. The tear down, which I hope to start by the end of Sept after I get my garage cleaned out. Currently its storing my poor 2000 Mk4 Jetta which can not be outside.

Also as part of the garage clean out is installing the other 4.0L in my 92 Jeep Wrangler, thus making room as I will have 1 less engine in there (of the 5 jeep engines I have currently... lol)

...you will have to be creative w/ the spare well rite there...

Something I didn't address which I meant to. My plan to make executing the exhaust system possible is to cut out the spare tire section of the trunk and go flat. Which will also require relocating the fuel tank. Need less to say, this car will have no trunk. lol

John

Yep, that is a Peugeot (pukegut) BA10/5 tranny. My advice would be to ditch it... You're better off with the newer 5 speeds (Aisin AX15 or NV series )

Yep, that is a Peugeot (pukegut) BA10/5 tranny. My advice would be to ditch it... You're better off with the newer 5 speeds (Aisin AX15 or NV series )

You are so right to suggest ditching it. But I only want to tackle 1 fab job at a time. I have a AX-15 in my 92 Wrangler, which may be upgraded at some point to a dodge 6sp in the NV series. First, I want to get the engine in place under the hood. And come up with a plan for how to secure the tranny. After which the tranny upgrade to the AX-15 will be much simpler (hopefully) as I will have minor mounting changes and determining if I need to open up the trans tunnel.

Woot Woot, I have made more progress towards starting this project. I am finally ready to contact the wrecker to get the last Cherokee (the parts donor for the barracuda) off the property this week.

I have also purchased 2 tarp buildings. One is a Garage in a Box, and 12x20 ft. The other is a fully enclosed car shelter at 10x20 ft. Both made by ShelterLogic. Both similar design. Other than the size, the only other difference with the Garage in the Box is the extra structural integrity. Hopefully those will be here labor day weekend and I can start moving vehicles around and getting the Barracuda ready to pull the original engine and tranny.

No further image updates till shelters show up.

Thanks,
John

So I love the tarp buildings. Since moving into the house, I finally got the lights in the garage working. Any electrician would laugh at it. But it works now. Its really a hack job. I can vouch its safe. And wired correctly.

Next summer, I am pulling the entire drywall and insulation down in the garage and redoing the lights and electrical with conduit runs.

1 more thing checked off my To-Do list. Now I need to swap the engine out of the wrangler so I can pull that out and open the garage for the barracuda to be pulled in.

My hope is to be pulling the engine out of the barracuda Christmas Week. And to be test fitting the 4.0 over New Years weekend. So I can start talking to shops about a new K member before tax season 2016.

John

Just read through your entire thread John - cool project you got going! Will keep an eye on your progress.

Just read through your entire thread John - cool project you got going! Will keep an eye on your progress.

Thanks. Its been a slow start with lots of research. I am more amazed how much effort the whole buying a house took. I am really looking forward to digging into this project soon.

The obd1 jeep FI is "semi" adaptive, it uses the first 50 start/run cycles after being connected to battery power to adjust the A/F ratio in closed-loop mode. I have a '93 Cherokee with all the bolt-on mods and 3.55 gears on like 30" tires at most. I can feel the engine runs lean when the ecu's been reset it feels like it lost 20 HP. That thing rips btw it's a 5-speed with 230k miles, i don't intend to ever sell it just keep rebuilding it into something more capable. Repairs are sooo easy and cheap too some parts are easier to work on than my 1970 Duster.

With a 5-speed and sufficiently big exhaust in an a-body it will be tons of fun. Not necessary but if it was mine i'd put a cam in it too like the biggest one you can run on factory EFI.

With a 5-speed and sufficiently big exhaust in an a-body it will be tons of fun. Not necessary but if it was mine i'd put a cam in it too like the biggest one you can run on factory EFI.

Most cams for Jeep engines are not suitable for street use in my opinion (unless you go with a custom grind) as they are intended for offroad use. My first attempt at this will be bone stock. It will have a Grand Cherokee D44 rear end with 4.11s. Yes, I know all about the weakness in the ZJ D44. And I am going to use that to my advantage.

I am really getting pumped. I can not wait to start working on this.

Most cams for Jeep engines are not suitable for street use in my opinion (unless you go with a custom grind) as they are intended for offroad use. My first attempt at this will be bone stock. It will have a Grand Cherokee D44 rear end with 4.11s. Yes, I know all about the weakness in the ZJ D44. And I am going to use that to my advantage.

I am really getting pumped. I can not wait to start working on this.

Have you run cammed 4.0's before? I haven't which is why i'm asking but the stock cam is very small i want to try a voodoo or crane cam in mine after a rebuild. These would really wake up with more lift and a tad more duration along with a tuned full-length 6-2 header. Just add bored throttle body on the intake and it will fly up to 5000 rpm.

Have you run cammed 4.0's before? I haven't which is why i'm asking but the stock cam is very small i want to try a voodoo or crane cam in mine after a rebuild. These would really wake up with more lift and a tad more duration along with a tuned full-length 6-2 header. Just add bored throttle body on the intake and it will fly up to 5000 rpm.

Dude, I am really sorry I missed your message. No, I have never ran a cammed 4.0L. In my experience the engineers at Jeep did a great job at building a power plant which could move my YJ with 32s.

I have stuff for a 4.7L stroker. So that may be the first engine I install a Delta Cam (a local shop who builds custom shafts).

John

So a piece of good news....

With the completion of the YJ, I have cleaned the garage an moved barracuda in. I am really looking forward to next week. I have the entire Xmass week off work and I plan on spending a great deal of that time on the barracuda.

Question for everyone
Pulling a V8 out of a A-Body. How hard is it too pull out an V8? Can I pull the tranny with the engine? Where can I secure the chain to the V8 engine?

Question for everyone
Pulling a V8 out of a A-Body. How hard is it too pull out an V8? Can I pull the tranny with the engine? Where can I secure the chain to the V8 engine?

It's not that hard to pull a V8 (or a slant for that matter) with the transmission attached. If you have a load leveler, it will make the job a lot easier. You might want to consider leaving the motor attached to the K Frame and dropping it with the K and suspension.

It's not that hard to pull a V8 (or a slant for that matter) with the transmission attached. If you have a load leveler, it will make the job a lot easier. You might want to consider leaving the motor attached to the K Frame and dropping it with the K and suspension.

I had thought about dropping the engine, but I have no safe way to lift the car that high to get it around the engine. I have pulled plenty of Slants out with and with out tranny's. But never something as big as a v8. Don't own a load leveler. Think it may be time to purchase one.

Ok, priced a cheap load leveler for the engine pull. Harbor Freight 2Ton for $45. So I will go and grab that tonight. And next week I will start pulling the front radiator support and see if I can pull this out.

Activity soon to come. And the count down begins.

John

I wanted to mention that if there is any one interested in the 318 and auto tranny, please let me know. I can always use cash, but in the interest of time will just let it go to someone who is going to put it too use.

I know nothing about the set. The person I bought it from told me the engine was seized. I am not a V8 guy, and have no real interest in putting it back in the car.

5 days till I start tearing it out

John

-
Back