Jonathan W. tows home a Toad

-
I have 5 mopars which includes 1 TOAD< guess the car the wife loves!!!!!! Go figure!! LOL I admit I love the homely beasts too!!

Jonathan really knows a lot about cars, but he's a noob when it comes to the slant six because this is his first one.

But how dare he call it "ugly"!!

Jonathan really knows a lot about cars, but he's a noob when it comes to the slant six because this is his first one.

But how dare he call it "ugly"!!
True!! Ugly is harsh maybe just fuggly!? LOL

I did find a Valiant Toad bout last week, mentioned it to the wife, thinking she would ay "lets go get it!: 1000 mi round trip, maybe why!??? LOL

25 or 30 years ago, there used to be a Toad in a ratty trailer park in the area I worked in. It was an old, has been, and retired roundy round car with a full cage, big racing tires, and the hubs that look like 3/4 ton truck rear hubs. It had an aluminum /6 in it and a 4 spd. I bet it has long since been crushed. Now I'm curious and gonna have to go back and look! :realcrazy::BangHead:

This 62 Lancer I have was a pace car at a Mo. dirt track back in the 70's. When I got it , it had the remains of the two way radio, deal to hold flags on the fenders. and a plaque glued to the Dash that said it had competed in some road race back then.

I am prob gonna get a flambe for this, but here goes. Sorry guys i just cant get into the toadies. They may have had great engineering but were smacked in the *** with an ugly stick. Virgil Exner was on his way out. I mean he reached the pinnacle of his designing flair in 1957 with the chrysler 300, as well as various desotos, dodges and plymouths. When tailfins went away, then it was all downhill from there. I dont think Exner knew quite what to do after that. The 1961 googly eyed dodge , plymouths, and chryslers were horrid looking IMHO. If i brought one of them ugly assed things home id probably and rightfully be in divorce court. And putting a hood scoop and mag wheels on one is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
Flamed no, disagreed with yes.....he also designed the 1964 Sport Fury which to this day is still considered a beautiful car.

I have 6 Toads. 4 Lancers and 2 Valiants.
Love them all.
Also a '63 Valiant wagon. I dont really care for the front fenders / grille on it but...... just me l guess.

I am prob gonna get a flambe for this, but here goes. Sorry guys i just cant get into the toadies. They may have had great engineering but were smacked in the *** with an ugly stick. Virgil Exner was on his way out. I mean he reached the pinnacle of his designing flair in 1957 with the chrysler 300, as well as various desotos, dodges and plymouths. When tailfins went away, then it was all downhill from there. I dont think Exner knew quite what to do after that. The 1961 googly eyed dodge , plymouths, and chryslers were horrid looking IMHO. If i brought one of them ugly assed things home id probably and rightfully be in divorce court. And putting a hood scoop and mag wheels on one is like putting lipstick on a pig.

yeah, and I bet you ride a moped when your friends aren't looking....:lol:

agreed these cars are not for the timid....boldly go..!

I see beauty or balls in bout every car design! I see something on every car model I dislike or almost hate!! Example: 70 cuda, long heavy doors, plastic grill, too heavy a car, hate the dash pad, door panels sound lke a big drum when you shut the door! I can think if negatives of every model.Wife likes our Toad because it is different as she explains!!
Me, I like prefer a 63 B body over a 64. Prettier car to me.
I bet Mr.Exner could have done well as time marched on. He just needed to eat breakfast with the GM guys!? lol

Maybe im just too hard on ole X. I mean as the 50s went away, everybody was trying to figure out what the new decades styling needed to be in the early part of the "new" decade. Early fords and GMs were pretty ugly too. My pops had a 61 ford sedan when i was a kid. I thought it was smacked in the *** with an ugly stick. Prob didnt help any that it looked like it was painted black with a brush. I did find beauty in a 1960 el camino i owned with its flat tailfins and jet age styling. But overall the styling was just bad everywhere you looked.

I want one. I have never come across one for sale but if I did.......

For some reason all the cars I have and all I ever find are in the 1965 to 1975 range.

I would totally drive a toad, be cool to find a wagon.

20190601_161137.jpg
l got to thinking, maybe l should go out back and look to see if my Toad was still here. About damn near could be twins.

I hope you not trying to pass that off as PLYMOUTH ROCK

My '62 Valiant V-200 more door, into which I've stabbed an LA motor, 727, 8-3/4", subframe connectors and upgraded the suspension. In my dreams I enter it in the local car show, but you just can't believe how many VERY nicely-restored cars there are around here, and I realize that mine is just not restored well enough because I did all the work myself, and I'm just an amateur. I'd be ashamed to enter it in the show, so it's just going to have to continue to be a driver.

dwezill1.jpg

My '62 Valiant V-200 more door, into which I've stabbed an LA motor, 727, 8-3/4", subframe connectors and upgraded the suspension. In my dreams I enter it in the local car show, but you just can't believe how many VERY nicely-restored cars there are around here, and I realize that mine is just not restored well enough because I did all the work myself, and I'm just an amateur. I'd be ashamed to enter it in the show, so it's just going to have to continue to be a driver.

View attachment 1715343741
Your kind of "non show" car is the very type car that I love to see and talk to the owner about when I do get to a car show ( I just spectate). I feel every car at a show does not need to be in competition for the $5 plastic trophy!

Toads did not survive well at all. They are hard to find and really they are not brining any $$. But that suits me fine. I have just one Toad but 5 Mopars and the wife feels 5 is a lot! LOL How wrong she can be!!!!!
I occasionally stumble on a toad in need of love, but I would love to have another but need to thin the herd before OR wife might have me instutionalized!!! ( Nut house!!) LOL

I looked for a long time to find my toad. I had looked at a Valiant and should have bought it but passed. Long time later I found the 61 Lancer Sport Coupe. Kinda glad I waited. While the Valiant is nice, I do like the Dodge trim a bit better. These cars survived as well as most cars but you got to keep in mind that the majority of these stayed on the roal like forever and were basically totally used up. Nothing like the brand X cars that went tits up early in life, can't afford to repair could not sell at that time either thus most sat till some interest was revived years later or someone did an engine upgrade.

Congratulations on your find ! I like the toads and drive one regularly and enter it in every show I can. It's always the only one (unless at a Mopar only show) and folks love it. It seems every one, or their relative, had one at one time or another and generally liked it and remember it fondly. Almost always asked about the "typrwriter" transmission which makes me chuckle. Last week it was parked next to a beautiful tubbed, pro-street, 500+ inch '67 Chevelle that was stunning. Chevelle owner wanted to talk but few were interested and nearly everyone had a comment or conversed about my car that passed by. At the end of the day the Chevelle got one of the $5 trophies but was disappointed at all the attention my ugly? un-restored Valiant got. He asked if next year could I not park next to him.

-
Back