Keisler 5-speed conversion on Early A-body: Install has begun

-
I've put this kit into two A-bodies, a 72 Dart Swinger and a 71 Duster. On both of these cars I had to cut a lot more out of crossmember than the kit suggested. I'm not as familiar with the older A-bodies, but it is something you should keep in mind.

I've put this kit into two A-bodies, a 72 Dart Swinger and a 71 Duster. On both of these cars I had to cut a lot more out of crossmember than the kit suggested. I'm not as familiar with the older A-bodies, but it is something you should keep in mind.

The 67+ A-bodies are "cavernous" in comparison to the 63-66 variety A-bodies, so yes, much more crossmember/hoop would need to be sacrificed. That said, since you're in there cutting and fabricating to install a TKO500/TKO600, why not go for the T56? Not really that much more work.

"Add a gear in an afternoon"...............that line still brings a smile to my face.:sign5:MAO

And as a side note, I too am waiting for the 2009 Challenger w/six speed to add to my stable. I'm just waiting for them to release colors and for dealers to start taking orders.:thumbup:

I feel for you guys with the early A`s. I think the kits were designed with the second generation A`s in mind. Although it didn`t just drop in ,I had to do very little grinding on the crossmember of my `68 to make things fit.

silver fish, you are the first guy that i know of that has used the GM tremec in the mopar conversion,,,all othere are using the ford, tremec,,,its 5 gears no matter how you look at it,

does anyone know if the Ford style Tremec has the same bellhousing pattern as a Mustang T5?

i would guess and say yes,, but dont take that to the back,,you may want to call dark horse performance for that question, or search a mustang site,,,

the quick time scatter shield i got has the ford tremec pattern and the factory mopar patteren,,

Now that is wicked!!! What elephant are you putting in that thing? Nice fabrication on the floor tunnel. Got any pics of the interior?

I was thinking of putting a t56 into my 68 dart with a 440. Quicktime makes the bellhousing. I figure I should have no problems after I've done it once already on the valiant.

What bell are you using?

More pics of the car......and welcome to the site. You'll love this site.

welcome to the site,, nice project,,would love to see more pics of the trans tunnel,,looks great

I stretched the tunnel a total of 3 1/2 inches all the way around with a small kick out for the reverse lock out and yes I have one of the new quick time bell housings

I made some simple changes so my rack placement is correct and I have a deeper sump for my custom oil pan

My engine is a 406ci 340 r block Bryant billet crank Lentz billet rods and custom cp pistons, fully ported w 5 heads Indy 360-3 intake and a lot of hp and torque my rear end is a viper pickup Dana 60 4.56 gears brakes are also viper i am just building a daily driver this is not a show car
this is ment to be driven hard pro touring style

I made my own perches and I am reusing the truck spring plates with a little rework for the shock mounts

My engine is a 406ci 340 r block Bryant billet crank Lentz billet rods and custom cp pistons, fully ported w 5 heads Indy 360-3 intake and a lot of hp and torque my rear end is a viper pickup Dana 60 4.56 gears brakes are also viper i am just building a daily driver this is not a show car
this is ment to be driven hard pro touring style

Nice work white trash, you should start a thread of your own on the car in the Members Restorations forum.

just glass beaded and primed at this point will be installing all autometer gauges and restoring the dash to factory

to install auto meter gauges in that dash,,you wil need to open the 2 inch holes,,with a sanding drum,,,only take off a tiny bit,,to install auto meter gauges 5 inchers in the center openings,, you will need to cut out the inside of the opening,,the flat black part,,i wil soon be having my dash bezel restored here are pics of my dash

fstfish66  digitial oct 2007 040.jpg

fstfish66  digitial oct 2007 043.jpg

I took it a step further and put a gauge in the ash tray door. I will also be filling in the radio hole or just putting a delete plate and hiding the radio under the dash plus making a holder for my ipod

I am in the process of blowing the car apart for paint and body work so its a little dusty

-
Back