Leaving phone out of reach

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I find myself on my phone too much, decided to leave it in the car while I'm at work. I have an iphone and there's a feature called Focus that you can put into driving mode, it sends a text of your choice to notify the person you're not available. The goal is to become one of those people that you just expect not to get ahold of immediately.

Anybody else do something similar? Just carry a beeper :lol:

Last edited:
Since I retired, I've found I'm not as dependent on having my phone close at hand to answer on the first ring. These days it sits on the edge of my laptop in my office area at home. When it rings, if I hear it I go back to see who called and take it from there.

I'm at the point where I'm ignoring it more. Blocked out all the scam calls, now assigning people their own ringtones. This allows me to decide on who to ignore, and when. Hate getting calls right before bed, or first thing Sunday morning before church. Some people have no respect for others.

I used to be called to the phone every 5 mins, by the " Mrs Jones etc." that insisted they ask me if their car is ready, or how much$.
Stuff they could a asked the person that answered the phone.
Ever try to overhaul one of those million piece Jap carbs while being interrupted every 5 mins.
When I retired, so did my phone.
The only "cell" I have is in the drawer of our motorhome in case of emergency, or to make reservations.
Otherwise, - leave a message and I'll answer when I want to.
How refreshing .
jmo
Cheers

I gave up trying to get family on the east coast to stop calling and texting early in the morning on their end. It usually happens during a group conversation. However, 0700 in Georgia is 0400 in Washington. I had to turn the phone off at night to sleep.

And yes, after retiring I find myself on the casual approach to being available. Like Joe Walsh, just leave a message, maybe I'll call.....

I find myself on my phone too much, decided to leave it in the car while I'm at work. I have an iphone at there's a feature called Focus that you can put into driving mode, it sends a text of your choice to notify the person you're not available. The goal is to become one of those people that you just expect not to get ahold of immediately.

Anybody else do something similar? Just carry a beeper :lol:
Yup. Focus Mode and Do Not Disturb are always enabled on my iPhone.

I keep my phone in my office most of the time. If I'm in the shop working, my phone is in my office. I do check it periodically. When I go to bed, the phone stays in the office. I take calls I want to, if it's important, I do listen to messages. Meanwhile, I do what's important to me and do not get interrupted by solicitors.

I gave up trying to get family on the east coast to stop calling and texting early in the morning on their end. It usually happens during a group conversation. However, 0700 in Georgia is 0400 in Washington. I had to turn the phone off at night to sleep.
I used to turn it off as well, until one night my son ran into some trouble and noone could get ahold of me. Since then, I have it on do not disturb from 10pm until 7am, with certain family members or friends on my favorite list so in case of emergency I can be gotten ahold of.

If they aren’t in my address book my phone is set to not even ring.
Leave a message.
I got this phone for YouTube and Go Pro software, not to get bugged the piss out of by people I don’t know.

Cell phones run our lives, and I don't like it. Still have a landline but we don't ever use it. Have an answering machine very rarely have any messages on it.

Cell phones run our lives, and I don't like it. Still have a landline but we don't ever use it. Have an answering machine very rarely have any messages on it.
We have a land line too. Nothing but solicitors. My wife was a strong hold out on the smartphone thing and I admired her for that but shes full on google now.

The only reason we have it is for the internet, they say you have to have it.
Specrtum? Thats what we have. Cell phones are cheap if we keep the internet. We can drop the phone but we still use the FAX now and then. Fax was a life saver when dealing with our parents deaths but I guess thats a done deal. Might help the wife if I tip over. Hopefully before her. Is that selfish?

Keep it in the glove box with the usb cord and a 12v and 110v charger adapter. Minimal $ plan from a third party contract provider. Only cut it on if YOU want to call somebody.

I have fitness goals, so here's what I did: my phone weighs 6.88 ounces. I figure if I replace it with 12 ounces of cold beer and do curls all day, I'll be healthier!

EDIT: Sorry @skep419, I forgot you quit drinking.

I have mine with me most of the time but when it rings it will more likely be a scam call than anything else. If I don't recognize the number I seldom answer it. I use it more for internet and this place than anything else. Still have a landline and my wife refuses to have a cell phone. She used to, but since both of her parents have passed away she doesn't see a need for one, and she hates having to use my smartphone for anything.

My ringer is off and I don't text.
Leave a message and I'll call you back if I want to. lol
I'm retired so I use my computer for everything, I never was one for talking on the phone, besides Fabo looks great on a 60" screen out in the shop.

What is the problem with just turning it off ! My lord, people and their phones. It's like a doctor may call you and ask for help with a brain operation. I sat at a table with several people and they all put their phones on the table like an appendage for gods sake. Granted, if the kids are with a baby sitter, sure keep it on, but we are a long way from baby sitter age. I've had people in the middle of a conversation, pick it up to answer a text about what are you doing next week. How did we ever exist without them.

Last edited:
I used to turn it off as well, until one night my son ran into some trouble and noone could get ahold of me. Since then, I have it on do not disturb from 10pm until 7am, with certain family members or friends on my favorite list so in case of emergency I can be gotten ahold of.
I talk with my kids via messenger (they don’t have actual phone plans)
I’m thinking I need a land line or dedicated house cell phone.

What is the problem with just turning it off ! My lord, people and their phones. It's like a doctor may call you and ask for help with a brain operation. I sat at a table with several people and they all put their phones on the table like an appendage for gods sake. Granted, if the kids are with a baby sitter, sure keep it on, but we are a long way from baby sitter age. I've had people in the middle of a conversation, pick it up to answer a text about what are you doing next week. How did we ever exist without them.
Some of us use them to make a living. Thats why mine is duct taped to my hand. lol

-
Back