LED Headlights installed..

-
I am now on the fence. I have a nice weatherpak type relay box to install, but would prefer not to if the LED setup is bright enough and low power consumption. Beginning to rethink my long term build. I am not an audiophile, and with LED headlamps do i really need any more than 35A output from an alternator. Found these on octanelighting. Appear stock. That might be a go for me as i dont like the modern looking LED lamps, but do prefer their effiency but want old skool looks. Octanelightings vehicle finder is rather clunky, but i was able to look these up for a 1974 chevy G10 van. Same 7" headlight.

Screenshot_20181203-054147.png

Screenshot_20181203-054142.png

Just another visual for you to consider. I was never a big fan of the look until my kid bought these. Once installed I actually dig the look.

IMG_4853.JPG
IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG

And this was how we did our relay. Under the battery box. Out of sight yet still serviceable

IMG_4862.JPG
IMG_4863.JPG
IMG_4864.JPG

I purchased those lights from OCTANE LIGHTING for my Duster, you'll be blown away with how bright they are, they are plug and play you don't need any relays and they are way brighter than halogen by a mile.

I purchased those lights from OCTANE LIGHTING for my Duster, you'll be blown away with how bright they are, they are plug and play you don't need any relays and they are way brighter than halogen by a mile.

That's awesome! Good to hear. You don't by chance have any pictures of the headlights and halos on do you? Thank you. Eric

I ordered the Morimoto Sealed7 LED bulbs the other day, hopefully they work well. I have Morimoto LED fogs in my Ram and their HID kit in it as well, and I am very pleased with the lighting.

They weren't the cheapest, but with lights, you kind of get what you pay for.

Morimoto Sealed7 1.0 Bi-LED Headlight

I ordered the Morimoto Sealed7 LED bulbs the other day, hopefully they work well. I have Morimoto LED fogs in my Ram and their HID kit in it as well, and I am very pleased with the lighting.

I had some of those and some of the LED's in one light didn't work. The light pattern is a bit wonky as well. Not sure how far they project because I didn't end up using them. I plan on retrofitting some LED projectors for mine.

Hmmm, that's not what I wanted to hear. Worst case I'll put my Nighthawks back in. The morimoto lights I have in my truck turned out amazing.

Well, they showed up. They each had a wire that wasnt crimped in the connector that I had to fix. Kind of funny since the inspected/passed QC sticker was about an inch away from the connector. And the housings dont fit in my headlight buckets. The heat sink it very large, I think if I cut the hole in the bucket bigger they would work, but I'm not sure I want to cut them up. They do seem very bright, the cutoff line was a little fuzzy though. Not as impressed with them as I am with the other Morimoto products I've used.

20181215_154521.jpg

20181215_153813.jpg

20181215_153949.jpg

And I wish those vertical LEDs weren't as noticeable, I wish they blended in like the projector bulbs do.

@72Duster440

Thanks... I've had multiple chinese built products on my bench and only ONE out of a dozen had every terminal crimped in a reasonably acceptable manner. If you buy that stuff, you best have the tools to take it completely apart and check every termination. People working in those mills don't care about quality work product.

Pick your parts, pay your money!

@72Duster440

Thanks... I've had multiple chinese built products on my bench and only ONE out of a dozen had every terminal crimped in a reasonably acceptable manner. If you buy that stuff, you best have the tools to take it completely apart and check every termination. People working in those mills don't care about quality work product.

Pick your parts, pay your money!

I was very impressed with the quality of the harness you sent me years ago. And the fact that you cut the lengths to the exact measurements I needed was awesome customer service. Buying one on Ebay will get you results like I had with those headlights, loose crimps that didn't even survive the boat ride over.

I am curious if those of you who are machining the LED assembly to fit are having any issues with failures of the LED? The parts you are machining are heat sinks which are designed to disipate the heat from the LED lights/crystals. LED's are heat sensitive above about 130 F, my thoughts would have been to modify the headlight bucket to fit the heatsink, not the other way around. The folks who have implemented this may have asked and answered this question, if so please share. Also, I am an electrical engineer and am professionally curious about failures of the LED's if you have experienced that.

Thanks

I am curious if those of you who are machining the LED assembly to fit are having any issues with failures of the LED? The parts you are machining are heat sinks which are designed to disipate the heat from the LED lights/crystals. LED's are heat sensitive above about 130 F, my thoughts would have been to modify the headlight bucket to fit the heatsink, not the other way around. The folks who have implemented this may have asked and answered this question, if so please share. Also, I am an electrical engineer and am professionally curious about failures of the LED's if you have experienced that.

Thanks
No issues what so ever with the ones I installed... They stay plenty cool.. even in the Arizona summer heat... I tell you, they run COOL to the touch.... the heat sink is way over kill... And reality, very little is machined away to fit the Stock Buckets... I hate cutting Original parts, so I don't !!! Not a single failure in my application!!!!! See my pictures at the beginning of this LED install thread...
And the ones I have machined for friends... No falures so far.

No issues what so ever with the ones I installed... They stay plenty cool.. even in the Arizona summer heat... I tell you, they run COOL to the touch.... the heat sink is way over kill... And reality, very little is machined away to fit the Stock Buckets... I hate cutting Original parts, so I don't !!! Not a single failure in my application!!!!! See my pictures at the beginning of this LED install thread...
And the ones I have machined for friends... No falures so far.
Thanks, Im lookig at doing this as well. Greatly appreciate the feedback

Did another set of LED headlamps for my buddies 63 Valiant /6 with 4bbl 4 speed vert... Needless to say, he loves them!!!
Resized952018122995192545.jpg
Resized952018122995194745.jpg

One more option, just installed these 90941-5 Grote in my 73 Duster. Since its January will be a while before I can try them out.

20190126_162141.jpg

20190126_164458.jpg

Any updates on these headlights? So many options. I already have a relay kit for my son's 68 Barracuda Notch and I'd like to get him some LED for it. We've already changed out almost all of the other lights in his car to LED. I feel much better with LEDS in his tail lights, much brighter.

Any updates on these headlights? So many options. I already have a relay kit for my son's 68 Barracuda Notch and I'd like to get him some LED for it. We've already changed out almost all of the other lights in his car to LED. I feel much better with LEDS in his tail lights, much brighter.
I went with JW Speaker and have the relay kit by crackedback and I couldn’t be happier.

-
Back