Lets talk about fiber glass body parts.

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
This winter I'm thinking about lightening the weight of my Dart. It currently weighs 3245 with me in it. I was thinking about replacing with fiberglass hood, bumpers, and front fenders. I'm just worried about the look. I don't want it to look flimsy. I prefer a stock look with the benefits of less weight. I'm thinking I can save about 150lbs by doing this. What are your thoughts?

we get all our glass dart stuff thru Glasstek
http://www.glasstek.com/

the race weight hoods are great, but need 6 pins vs 4 pins after about 125mph...

the fenders are nice and thick, fit great, and still save weight...

any reason your looking to get that weight out? are to trying to fit in a class? im asking because thats alot of money, time, and paint work to just lose 150lbs...

Just looking at options of losing weigh vs building a stronger short block.. I can achieve my goals of 9's on pump gas b turning up the boost but I think I'm on borrowed time if I do that vs losing some weight.

Just looking at options of losing weigh vs building a stronger short block.. I can achieve my goals of 9's on pump gas b turning up the boost but I think I'm on borrowed time if I do that vs losing some weight.

well 150 lbs is only .15 off your times... where you running now?

another option is to save that couple grand your gonna spend and start a BA short block...

What does the car run now?

I haven't ran it... It's getting a moly cage and frame connectors ATM. So I'm figuring that's gonna add a few lbs to my 3245. My car dynoed at 680 to the wheels.

I haven't ran it... It's getting a moly cage and frame connectors ATM. So I'm figuring that's gonna add a few lbs to my 3245. My car dynoed at 680 to the wheels.

well for 9's you have to have a 10pt, fuel cell, window net, trans shield, locking dip stick for the trans, full face helmet... im sure im missing some stuff...

this all adds weight also... and a 10pt steel is like 150-175lbs depending on the design... but a moly one will be less but i dont know how much...

what gear and verter is in it? out landy car did 9.80's with 775hp @ 6800 and 750tq at like 4500rpm... think it was 3350 w/o driver and that was with glass fenders and hood...

just my opinion but i dont think that fiberglass front fenders are worth the money and trouble. the steel fenders dont weigh much at all. i think you would loose more with fiberglass bumpers and brackets. then maybe a glass hood and deck lid. next would be lexan windows. maybe pin up the rear quarter glass and pull the window regulators. i would look into maybe some super stock style seat brackets depending what style of seats you have in the car.

well for 9's you have to have a 10pt, fuel cell, window net, trans shield, locking dip stick for the trans, full face helmet... im sure im missing some stuff... I have everything but net

this all adds weight also... and a 10pt steel is like 150-175lbs depending on the design... but a moly one will be less but i dont know how much...moly cage (8.50 cert) is 75lbs

what gear and verter is in it? out landy car did 9.80's with 775hp @ 6800 and 750tq at like 4500rpm... think it was 3350 w/o driver and that was with glass fenders and hood...
Was that 775 at the wheels or on an engine dyno? I have a custom PTC converter and 3.50 rear gear (remember I'm supercharged)

Friend that did the bodywork on my car refused to let me put glass fenders on it. They are a few pounds lighter, at best, and for the amount of work it takes for them to fit and be right they just are not worth the trouble, according to him. Assuming that you want the fit & finish to be beyond just acceptable (based on the way on your car looks now) I think you will be disappointed. I have a glass hood on my car and am seriously considered getting rid of it down the road if I don't need it, after hours of screwing with it it is still proud in the rear corner. Turbos like the load of high gears, but from what I understand blowers need lower gears.....is the 3.50 enough gear?

Friend that did the bodywork on my car refused to let me put glass fenders on it. They are a few pounds lighter, at best, and for the amount of work it takes for them to fit and be right they just are not worth the trouble, according to him. Assuming that you want the fit & finish to be beyond just acceptable (based on the way on your car looks now) I think you will be disappointed. I have a glass hood on my car and am seriously considered getting rid of it down the road if I don't need it, after hours of screwing with it it is still proud in the rear corner. Turbos like the load of high gears, but from what I understand blowers need lower gears.....is the 3.50 enough gear?

Good to know.. I might just do bumpers then.. I do like the look of body color bumper on my car. As far as gearing.. I'm just going off what others who run these kenne bell superchargers are doing... This thing is instant tq from the jump start so the 2.46 first gear of my 727 is going to be challenging enough to get hooking off the line with my DR's.

I have a set of glass fenders for a later a-body. When I picked them up and then picked up the steel fenders for a 69 I did not feel much of a difference. The bumpers on the other hand.......aint it fun to be traction challenged??

hell yeah... from 2nd gear this is what it does on the street! lol
[ame=http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/jbellyus/?action=view&current=88a95a76.mp4]
th_88a95a76.jpg
[/ame]

If this is a street car I would advise against the fiberglass bumper. I know you never plan to get into an accident but if you were to get into a frontal crash that bumper wont offer much protection. Not that a stock one does great either but I would rather have metal then fiberglass.

I have a set of glass fenders for a later a-body. When I picked them up and then picked up the steel fenders for a 69 I did not feel much of a difference. The bumpers on the other hand.......aint it fun to be traction challenged??

head light buckets are different from 67/68 to 69 and up

If this is a street car I would advise against the fiberglass bumper. I know you never plan to get into an accident but if you were to get into a frontal crash that bumper wont offer much protection. Not that a stock one does great either but I would rather have metal then fiberglass.
For the little bit of weight saving they just are not worth it to me. Want to go quicker, change the pulleys and run more boost. All it is going to take is the first time you are not around your car and some body puts a foot on your "bumper" to tie a shoe, or perhaps a couple of kids running past your car and getting a bit close and you will regret glass bumpers. Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but I am one of those folks that has the gremlins following him....

Hood and bumper as well *** bumper brackets would be 150lbs easy. The bumper you can replace with a steelie when the need arises.

I would think you will have to do some serious gutting to lose the weight. A freind of mine has a 69 that weighs in at 2800 (car alone) or a little more, and he has stripped the car, fiberglass fenders, hood, bumpers and back halfed.

He runs 9.50 at 149 in the 1320 with a 340 under the hood. I would have to think you would be close since your producing more power to the ground.

-
Back