Locking gas cap

-

walkintree

Reaction score
I posted in fuel discussions as well...but here seems better.

Well i've got a '69 dart. It has a locking gas cap. It has a quarter full gas tank. I don't have the key... Anybody got any ideas? I don't care how mangled that cap becomes cause i have a regular one i want to replace it with. I just want it OFF! So far the most destructive way to get it off sounds most appealing cause it has frustrated me... help?

do you have any other cars that use a locking cap? If so try using one of the others key and slowly working the key in and out and twisting it while pulling on the cap slightly. Most locking caps only have about 5 to 6 different keys. Don't go ape and bend the mounting flange on the tube.

What I'd suggest it unbolting the filler neck from the quarter panel and pulling it out and drilling through the cap to prevent metal from entering the tank. That's if the screws are accessable. Or you could take a cutting wheel and cut around the cap until the screws are exposed. Just a thought.

good to know, but unfortunately the only other car with a locking cap is also missing the key. I will keep in mind that flange, thanx!

You have choices, first you take a screwdriver (not a phillipshead) and twist, it will open...
Second, if you dont want a first one, take a drill and drill a lock away and then open it with screwdriver (not a phillipshead).
Third, go to the locksmith and ask him do it, painless, and him/her can do you a whole new lock for it...
Fourth, ask your local police department do do it, they know how...
Fifth, youngster's are very good of those too...

Fifth, youngster's are very good of those too...

Bwahaha, i'm 17. Well i don't want to spend any more money then i have to, i plan on ditching the cap. and its out on acerage, lockmith would have to come to me. blah.

As for cutting it up, i like the idea. i'll have to check the back side of that thing. thanx!

Don't use a cut off wheel on the thing as you have fuel in it and could open a whole new realm of Whoops!!!

Cutting that cap off with anything that makes heat and sparks could be a BIG safety concern. I would try to find a key that works or let the locksmith do it.

just stick a flathead screwdriver in it and twist it will come right off

Screw a dent puller in key slot and give it a couple of whacks. It'll pull the lock cylinder right out. You should be able to use a flat screwdriver to unlock it at that point. Shouldn't take more than 15 seconds.

A locksmith would cost you the same as about 10 new locking gas caps.

Screw a dent puller in key slot and give it a couple of whacks. It'll pull the lock cylinder right out. You should be able to use a flat screwdriver to unlock it at that point. Shouldn't take more than 15 seconds.

A locksmith would cost you the same as about 10 new locking gas caps.

This works! I bought a 76 newport a while back for $100. It had a locking cap and no key. Did this trick to get it out very easy.

I think some of you have stole gas a time or two....... (ramcharger) LOL!

Ummm...I was a little hesitant to post this trick, lol! I'm not a thief, but I was a professional auto/motorcyle mechanic and we had to ......... 8)

I left out a few things for the safety of the rest of the world.

The dent puller trick works like a charm. I've used it a few times (for legitimate reasons).

I almost forgot that the 70 swinger I bought last weekend has the same issue. I haven't picked it up yet but, I remenber the owner telling me he has all the keys except the gas cap. Guess I'll be trying the dent puller soon enough:)

haha, ya, i've been agonizing over this for awhile. luckily i'm still in the process of getiing it all working well, and haven't run out of gas in the process. yet.

As SRDUSTER suggested, go into the trunk and remove the whole filler neck assembly.
This way, you can remove the cap without worring about damaging the car.

The dent puller one works well. It just pops the lock mechaism out, and then you can get the cap off easily. Or if you don'r have easy access to a dent puller, do as someone else said and jam a flat head screwdriver in the keyhole and get rough with it. You'll destroy the cap either way, but that's the plan. Don't pry behind the cap, spend all of your time on the lock itself. They come off easier than you'd think.

alright, thanx. i do believe we have a dent puller around, and i have gone at it with a screwdriver, guess i just gotta get a lil meaner. IF dent pulling doesn't pan out.

-
Back