Lower control arm parallel to ground - alignment problems?

-
That was almost 25 years ago....
I used the two-piece ones.
IIRC;
I cut some off the rear poly, and washered the fronts; but I seem to remember that there was a center spacer tube that had to be shortened to restore the preload.
I had used Poly LCA bushings, and they are still in there. They didn't seem to mind a lil preload.

IIRC my lower control arms ended up at or near Zero ride height when measured the Mopar way. which IIRC makes them go negative camber pretty fast around the turns. No biggie, I left the bumpstops in, and sometimes I ride around a turn on the bumpstop. But sometimes the tires let go and she starts to plow. No biggie, a lil throttle and the rear catches up. See with 5.5" sidewalls I can bounce off most curbs around here, with no damage ........ just try that with 17s. Those front wheels of mine, except for one summer in 2004, are the same wheels I installed back in 1999. And the 15x10rears were installed around 2003 maybe 04.
I broke a piece out of one of those once, but I went back for the piece,, and had a guy weld it back in; it was just aluminum and welded easy. Then I finished it.

You guys with 318s at 95psi, have no idea do you, lol. You need a hi-pressure 360, with a broad nearly flat torque curve so you can adjust the power-level, in mid-slide, so you can get the front plow back under control. 95 psi is about half of what you need. But um you know, a 288/292 cam sounds pretty cool.............. but I digress, lol.
318s at 95? ummm mines at 160... howards roller with trickflows.... no need to be mean to 318 peoples :)

318s at 95? ummm mines at 160... howards roller with trickflows.... no need to be mean to 318 peoples :)
us 318 guys are over here taking strays in a suspension thread!

don't worry homie, i gots your six with my 3/4 race came 180psi 323

let's ride...

no need to be mean to 318 people

Lets get something straight,
> I'm not being mean towards the owners of 318s,
> nor to 318s in general,
> nor especially to 318s with 160Plus psi,
> just those 318s, in what may have started out as 108 to 115psi,
and now with a big cam, is pumping less than 95psi.

I been there; nothing sux more than a 340 cammed, gas sucking, super low pressure, deadbeat 318, with 3.23s; unless the cam is even bigger, and/or the rearend is even smaller.
4.56 gears and/or a 3500 stall, in a streeter, is not a good solution.
If yur gonna throw a thousand bucks(or more) worth of band-aids at her after the fact, you might as well have just bumped the pressure up in the first place.

I just know how disappointing these engines are, at low-pressure, and in my world even 140psi is low, never mind 115, or Lord have mercy, 95.
I mean, Criminy;
>I've had worn out flat-head lawn mowers with more pressure than that.
> that's one step above running with the auto-decompressor stuck open.
> I mean the typical street engine with an automatic transmission, is gonna spend some 95% of it's life, at under 4000 rpm in Second gear, and with any factory stall convertor, that's a powerband of say 2000 rpm; 2/3rds of which is off the cam,
so why in tarnation would you install a 6000 rpm cam into it in the first place knowing you'll never get there in Second gear, until deep into speeding territory; and then saddle it with a paltry 95psi in the rpm range in the which the engine is gonna spend most of it's life.
That's messed up.

Cam your 318 for your usage and never mind it doesn't have a super-stock lumpy idle. That's just a heckuva sacrifice to make.

Lets get something straight,
> I'm not being mean towards the owners of 318s,
> nor to 318s in general,
> nor especially to 318s with 160Plus psi,
> just those 318s, in what may have started out as 108 to 115psi,
and now with a big cam, is pumping less than 95psi.

I been there; nothing sux more than a 340 cammed, gas sucking, super low pressure, deadbeat 318, with 3.23s; unless the cam is even bigger, and/or the rearend is even smaller.
4.56 gears and/or a 3500 stall, in a streeter, is not a good solution.
If yur gonna throw a thousand bucks(or more) worth of band-aids at her after the fact, you might as well have just bumped the pressure up in the first place.

I just know how disappointing these engines are, at low-pressure, and in my world even 140psi is low, never mind 115, or Lord have mercy, 95.
I mean, Criminy;
>I've had worn out flat-head lawn mowers with more pressure than that.
> that's one step above running with the auto-decompressor stuck open.
> I mean the typical street engine with an automatic transmission, is gonna spend some 95% of it's life, at under 4000 rpm in Second gear, and with any factory stall convertor, that's a powerband of say 2000 rpm; 2/3rds of which is off the cam,
so why in tarnation would you install a 6000 rpm cam into it in the first place knowing you'll never get there in Second gear, until deep into speeding territory; and then saddle it with a paltry 95psi in the rpm range in the which the engine is gonna spend most of it's life.
That's messed up.

Cam your 318 for your usage and never mind it doesn't have a super-stock lumpy idle. That's just a heckuva sacrifice to make.
I know you were just messing around :) And i have 4.57's.. it should go ok.. it's a temp motor to get the car mobile is all for now

I do have offset upper control arm bushings.

I need to measrue my bars, it has been so long ago since I bought them, I don't know the actual size.

I know you were just messing around :) And i have 4.57's.. it should go ok.. it's a temp motor to get the car mobile is all for now
Hang on, I was not pointing any fingers at you. Nor at anyone in particular.
I've been here for 10 years and I thought I'd seen it all until about a week ago. I just lost it. I should probably go back and apologize, but I can't cuz I said I was out.
---------------------------------------
BTW
I have run 4.88s in mine, and 5.38s and 4.30s and a bunch of other gears, depending on what trans I was using (I've run all the Mopar Manuals at one time or another.) And I run the GVod .
I finally figured out that the only gear that was really important to me was Second, and any gear-ratio from 5.80 to 6.80 was about right.
Well it turns out that 1.92 Second times 3.23 in the back, equals 6.20, and 1.92 x 3.55= 6.80 either of which was just about perfect. In the end, I liked 3.55s with the 3.09 low better, for parading. And so, that's what has been in her for over two decades. I sold everything but the 4.88s.

Hang on, I was not pointing any fingers at you. Nor at anyone in particular.
I've been here for 10 years and I thought I'd seen it all until about a week ago. I just lost it. I should probably go back and apologize, but I can't cuz I said I was out.
---------------------------------------
BTW
I have run 4.88s in mine, and 5.38s and 4.30s and a bunch of other gears, depending on what trans I was using (I've run all the Mopar Manuals at one time or another.) And I run the GVod .
I finally figured out that the only gear that was really important to me was Second, and any gear-ratio from 5.80 to 6.80 was about right.
Well it turns out that 1.92 Second times 3.23 in the back, equals 6.20, and 1.92 x 3.55= 6.80 either of which was just about perfect. In the end, I liked 3.55s with the 3.09 low better, for parading. And so, that's what has been in her for over two decades. I sold everything but the 4.88s.
Nothing to apologize for.. i was just messing around... **** gets taken wrong in text a lot is all. :)

-
Back